- Text Size +

Denise came over that night for dinner.

 

“Hey sweetheart.” she said coming down the hall to the kitchen. “Can I help you with anything?”

 

Alissa hugged AJ’s mom and told her all she had to do was finish the salad.

 

“You can have a seat and keep me company.” Alissa said with a grin.

 

Denise smiled. Over the last few months, she had gotten to know Alissa quite well and had grown to love her. She was a wonderful woman who had a heart of gold and truly loved her son. There was nothing more that Denise could have wanted for AJ.

 

“I heard that the boys will be home soon.”

 

“Two days!” Alissa yelled. “Sorry, I’m just so excited to see AJ. I miss him being here and seeing him all the time. I’m looking forward to the break they’ll be getting.”

 

Denise laughed. “I can tell you’re excited. I have to tell you that someone else is just as excited. He called me today to let me know and you could literally hear that he was smiling from ear to ear.”

 

“Good!” Alissa said and announced that dinner was ready.

 

A few hours later, Denise left and Alissa was cleaning up the kitchen. She was about to head upstairs when she heard the doorbell ring.

 

“HI Denise……….” Alissa stopped midsentence. The person on the other side of the door was definitely not Denise.