- Text Size +

Two Months Later:

 

AJ carried James downstairs to see his aunt Brooke who was home for a few days to visit. Lucas’ mom was getting better so he was able to watch Anne and Brooke could leave to see Alissa.

 

“Oh my God AJ! He’s beautiful!” Brooke cried when she saw her nephew.  AJ smiled and watched as James gripped one of her fingers.

 

“He is. He’s such a good baby.” AJ said tickling his son and loving the smile that broke out over his face.

 

Brooke paused for a minute. “Any change?”

 

AJ shook his head.

 

“Nothing at all?”

 

“Nothing. The machines haven’t changed and neither has her heartbeat.”

 

“I have to ask you this point blank. Is she going to be ok?”

 

“I have no idea. The doctor doesn’t know, the nurses don’t know, I don’t know. I’ve been waiting for something, anything, any sign of hope.”

 

Brooke sat down on the couch with her nephew.  “I can’t believe this is happening. You two were finally back where you needed to be and now this. She loves you AJ and it meant the world to her that you were there for her and you wanted to be part of her life and your son’s life.”

 

Tears formed in AJ’s eyes. “I shouldn’t have taken so long to figure out that I was a jackass. Maybe this wouldn’t have happened if I was around earlier.”

 

“No AJ. Things would still be the same. No one could have prevented this from happening.”

 

“My head knows that but my heart doesn’t get it.” he said shaking his head.

 

“I’m really sorry AJ. Do you want me to watch James for a little while so you can get some rest?”

 

“I’m not tired.” He paused for a minute. “Would you mind watching him while I sit with her for a while? I don’t think my mom will be back very soon and I haven’t been in there very much today.”

 

“Of course! Just tell me where his stuff is and I will take care of him for as long as you need.”

 

AJ thanked Brooke, showed her where everything was and headed upstairs to sit with Alissa for a couple of hours. He smiled at the nurse who was checking on her and pulled the chair over to her bedside. Sitting down, he took her hand and held it tightly.

 

“Hi Liss, it’s me.” AJ chuckled for a minute. “You’re probably saying who else would it be dumbass. Your cousin is here and she’s watching James for me so I can spend a little time with you by myself. Mom will be back in a little while and I know she’ll want to see you too. I wanted to get some time alone with you before everyone came up.” He waited a few minutes. “I love you Liss, more than anything in my life. I wish you would just come back. I need you, James needs you, we all need you. Please try Liss, please.”

 

He laid his head back on the chair and just watched her lying there. This feeling of helplessness wasn’t going away and he struggled with it every day. Closing his eyes, he tried to doze off for a little while.

 

It was a few minutes later when he jerked awake after feeling like something was crawling on his hand.  When he looked down, he couldn’t believe his eyes. Alissa’s index finger was slowly moving up and down. He ran out of the room yelling for one of the nurses. Denise had been in the living room with Brooke and they both raced up stairs.

 

“Her finger moved!” AJ yelled. “Her finger moved up and down!”

 

“AJ, calm down.” Denise pleaded. “Are you absolutely sure her finger moved?”

 

“Yes!” he yelled again. “It moved. Come see!”

 

They all crowded into the room and saw Alissa’s right hand index finger move slowly up and down. The nurse told them that she would call the doctor and get someone over as fast as she could. AJ raced around the side of the bed and grabbed her hand again, watching as her finger bumped into his hand again. AJ was so busy watching her finger that he missed her eyes moving.

 

“AJ look!” Brooke screamed.

 

Alissa’s eyelids had started to flutter and her heartbeat monitor started to beep a little faster. The nurse came back in and saw all the commotion.

 

“I called the doctor and he’s off today. His office was going to page him and have him come directly here.”

 

She had no sooner finished her statement than the doorbell rang. Brooke dashed downstairs and came flying back up, practically dragging the doctor behind her.

 

“Look!” she said and pointed at Alissa and the monitor. “This is good right?”

 

The doctor watched the monitors for a few minutes and then looked at AJ. “I think we should take her back to the hospital and do a few tests.”

 

AJ wanted answers. “Ok, call the ambulance and take her back in!” He got things together for James and asked his mother and Brooke to stay with him while he went to the hospital to look after Alissa. Brooke agreed and Denise asked if AJ wanted them to call the other guys.

 

“Not yet. Let me find out something first.” AJ let the paramedics in and followed them back downstairs. He had asked again if he could ride with her and the EMT agreed. He kissed his mother and rode off to the hospital with Alissa.

 

His mother and Brooke silently prayed that this would be it.