- Text Size +

AJ spent two hours pacing in the waiting room at the hospital. They had taken Alissa in to do a few more tests and he was anxiously waiting for someone to come out to let him know something. He had already called his mother three times and the guys were expecting updates too.

 

He was still walking back and forth when Nick showed up.

 

“J! How is she? Any news yet?”

 

“Nothing. I’m going crazy here. I need to know something!”

 

Nick sank down in one of the chairs not knowing what to say. He knew AJ was going through hell and he hoped that this wasn’t another glimmer of hope that was going to be taken away.  Just as he was about to suggest that AJ sit down, the doctor arrived.

 

“Where is she? How is she? What’s going on?” AJ tripped over his words and almost knocked the doctor over charging at him.

 

The doctor held up both hands.  “The tests aren’t showing much but her heartbeat has gotten stronger and we wanted your permission to take the breathing tube out. Since she has shown some signs of waking up, we want to see if she is able to breathe on her own. Do you want us to try?”

 

AJ thought about it for a few minutes. “What happens if she can’t?”

 

“Well, we’ll put the tube back in and go back to waiting. Unfortunately, I’m not a psychic and I can’t tell what’s going to happen. It’s really up to you.”

 

AJ looked over at Nick. “What should I do?”

 

Nick was shocked. AJ always had an answer for everything. He was confident and always gave others his advice. This was definitely a change from the AJ he knew.

 

“I don’t know.”

 

“Look Nick, I’m asking you for your opinion. Please.”

 

Nick sighed. “I’m not telling you what you should do, but I will say this. Alissa’s a strong woman and she’s stubborn as hell. If she is really starting to wake up, she’ll fight no matter what. I know she loves you and that little boy. And if she can put up with you, I know this will be a cake walk for her.”

 

AJ laughed in spite of himself. “Thanks Nicky.” He turned to the doctor and agreed to remove the tube.

 

“Can I sit with her?”

 

“Of course.” the doctor said. “Come with me and we’ll get the process started.”

 

AJ started to leave but turned around to hug Nick.

 

“I’ll be right here J.” Nick said and watched AJ leave. He could only pray that this worked.