- Text Size +

Thirty One

~ Tampa, FL ~

We sat in the VIP lounge of the airport the next morning waiting to board our flight to Philadelphia. All of us were hung over and we weren’t speaking much. Kristen and Kevin were off by themselves kissing their good-byes before she headed to her plane to return to Los Angeles, Brian and Howie were both sound asleep where they sat, and AJ’s head was resting on my shoulder. Nick meanwhile was missing in action having wondered off with Billy for a few minutes.

I hadn’t told AJ anything about my run in with Nick the night before. I knew that when I opened that can of worms that it was going to be a long process and neither of us needed to deal with it with hangovers. He hadn’t noticed me disappearing from the club while Kevin and I spoke outside because he and a few friends had been playing pool. Kristen noticed though, and I knew just by the way that she’d hugged me that morning that Kevin had told her something was going on. I loved the relationship that I had with her. She was confident enough in her relationship with Kevin to know that I wasn’t a threat by any means no matter how much Kevin and I flirted with each other or spent time together. She knew about as much about me as Kevin did, and was never afraid to ask me a question about anything.

When Nick & Billy finally came back to the lounge I glanced at him. He looked like shit. Our plan on getting him shit-faced on his birthday was a smashing success and it looked like he was hurting the most of all of us. I had no idea though how much of how bad he looked had to do with what had happened between us on the dance floor. There was a small bruise on his face too from where I’d smacked him. I hadn’t realized how hard I’d hit him, but there on his face was the proof that I’d hit him pretty hard.

AJ spoke quietly, "Looks like Nicky’s pretty hung over."

"Yeah…"

"How the hell did he get that bruise on his face? I bet the dumbass fell down or something…" he chuckled. I nodded silently and looked away from Nick. AJ picked his head up and looked at me, "You okay?"

I nodded again, "Yeah I just feel like shit… I’m gunna um… I’ll be back in a minute…" I kissed AJ letting my lips linger on his lips for a moment as my hand rested on his cheek and then got up and headed for the restroom.

I sat on the counter in the bathroom for a few minutes just taking the moment to breathe deep. I did feel like shit physically, I’d drank way too much the night before. But most of what was causing me to feel so bad was emotional. When Kristen walked into the bathroom I smiled, "Which one sent you in after me?"

"Both of them. Kevin suggested it and just as I was about to get up AJ came over and asked if I would."

"God, I love them…" I sighed and looked down at the floor.

"They’re keepers alright…" I nodded and smiled wryly. "So… you okay?" I nodded again and looked up to her trying to smile. She smiled and slid herself onto the counter next to me. "Kev told me that something was up with you and Nick. He’s pretty worried…"

"I figured he’d tell you."

"You don’t mind do you?"

"Nope. I knew he would, he always does. But I know that you keep it between the two of you too and that you’d never do anything to hurt me."

"Good… He told me that you’re going to talk to him tonight?"

"Yeah… I’ve been promising him that I’d explain everything for a few weeks now. But after last night, I’ve gotta tell someone. Otherwise I’m going to explode on this tour. The tension is so thick out there I can’t breathe."

"Yeah I noticed that Nick’s avoiding eye contact with you. I truthfully don’t think though that to anyone who isn’t aware that there’s a problem it’s that obvious."

"Really?"

"Really. I think Kev and I noticed because we were looking for it. But I bet to everyone else, Nick just looks hung over."

I sighed and nodded, "Good. The last thing I want is to create tension between the guys."

"I think you’re safe there, kiddo…"

I smiled, "Kev’s got you calling me kiddo now huh?"

Kristen laughed, "I guess so… but it seems to fit."

"I don’t mind it. Although I’d only allow a select few people to call me kiddo."

"So I’m special?"

"Very much so…" I laughed.

"Cool… So will you do me a favor on this tour?"

"Sure?"

"Take care of Kev for me? He told me how you made him talk to you the other night when he was missing me. Keep doing that no matter how stubborn he gets okay? And if you need to, call me. I’ll help you kick his ass…"

I smiled, "No problem. We’ve got this little battle going on between us, I take care of him, he takes care of me…"

"Well I like that. I’m glad to know that you’re on this tour with him. With all of the guys actually... It’s so easy to see how much they all respect you and trust your opinions. When they’re alone for too long without any other input I swear they start to feed off one another and they come up with the most insane ideas…"

I laughed, "Boy Logic…"

"Exactly!" she giggled.

"Like AJ deciding to color his hair piss yellow on the last tour. That was when I wasn’t around to tell him not to do it. They were all like, ‘Yeah dude, do yellow…’ Dorks…"

We both laughed, "Well it’s going to do them good to have a woman around on this tour. Especially one who they clearly love so much."

I smiled, "Thanks…"

"Anytime…"

"I suppose we should get out there before they send in some woman in here after us huh?" I laughed.

"Probably…" We walked out of the restroom to find both AJ and Kevin pacing near the door.

I laughed and shook my head, "I’m okay… just needed some girl conversation…"

"You sure?" AJ asked as he looked down at me and pulled me close.

"Positive," I smiled and kissed his chin. I could feel Kevin watching me and I smiled at him, "Wipe that look off of your face, Kev… I’m fine. Your wifey took good care of me. We bonded."

"You two don’t need to bond anymore, you’re already too close…" he laughed and then flinched as she smacked him in the arm.  "Ouch!"

"Watch it…" she laughed.

"Mmm hmm…" he smiled.  "Say your good-byes, I’m going to grab your bag and walk you over to your gate."

"Okay…" Kristen smiled. She turned to AJ and held her arms open to him to hug him, "Take care, sweetie… I’ll see you in three weeks for the Grammy’s."

"Cool," AJ smiled. "Keep in touch…"

"Always…" she smiled in return. She turned to me, "We’ve got a deal right?"

I grinned and nodded, "Yup… I’ll call you with weekly reports…"

"Oooh I love it!" she laughed and hugged me tight.

"Thanks, Kristen…"

"Welcome, kiddo…"

AJ looked at Kevin as he returned carrying Kristen’s carryon bag. "Dude they’re plotting something… weekly reports and shit…"

Kristen and I laughed and smiled at them, "We know nothing…"

Kristen walked away and made the rounds with the rest of the guys. She kissed Howie and Brian on their foreheads as they continued to sleep and then hugged and kissed Nick before coming back over to where we were standing. We hugged again and she gave me a quick wink before walking off with Kevin, "Did you see that?" AJ asked. "Wink… she winked… what are you two doing?"

Kristen pulled Kevin by the hand toward her gate and I led AJ back to where we’d been sitting, "Stop being paranoid, dufus. I just promised to take good care of Kev while she’s not around to do it."

"Oh…" he smiled. "Okay, that’s cool…"

"Now do me a favor?" I smiled.

"Anything…" he said looking into my eyes. I could tell that he still wasn’t convinced that I was okay, I could see it in his eyes.

"Cuddle with me until the plane arrives?"

"Oh I can definitely do that…" he smiled and opened his arms up for me to lean up against his chest. I closed my eyes and sighed contentedly and he kissed the top of my head as his fingers began to run through my hair gently, "I love you…"

I smiled and looked at him and kissed his lips, "I love you, too…"