- Text Size +

The next few weeks felt like only a few days. Kat had spent as much time as possible cleaning and packing up most of her things. She had already put furniture she wouldn’t need for a while into storage and rented a U-Haul truck for the end of January. Brenda was letting her store things in her basement since she would be staying with her until the move.

 Kat and Brenda had the week of Christmas and New Year’s off and AJ and Nick would be flying in tomorrow. She was going to pick them up and Brenda had suggested another girls’ night at her house before everyone arrived.

 “Hey sweetie.” Brenda said opening her door to find her friend waiting with pizza.

 “Hey.” Kat said quietly stepping through the door.

 “What’s wrong?” Brenda asked, concerned for her friend. “AJ’s coming in tomorrow. I thought you’d be happy.”

 Kat smiled. “I am happy, just really tired.”

 “I think you should go to the doctor, you’ve been tired like this for a while now.”

 Kat shook her head no. “It’s probably all the packing and moving. It’s stressful turning my whole life upside down in a short amount of time. I’m sure it’s going to be easier after the holidays.”

 Brenda looked doubtful. “Promise me that if it’s not, you’ll go to the doctor’s.”

 “I promise. I think you’re worried for nothing. I know it’s going to be fine.”

 Brenda. “I feel déjà vu coming on. Remember a couple of years ago. You were tired like this before and you know what happened then.”

 “I know it’s not that. I’ve had my checkups and everything’s been ok.”

 Brenda sighed. “Well, I’m holding you to that promise to see the doctor if this doesn’t get better.”

 “I promise to go but I want to ask you a favor.”

 “Whatever you need.”

 “Don’t tell AJ.”

 “You haven’t told him?”

 “No, it’s never come up and it’s never been a problem. Please don’t tell him that I’ve been tired or anything ok?”

 “I don’t think that’s a good idea.”

“I know you don’t but I’m asking you as my friend to do this for me.”

 “I’ll do it on one condition.”

 “What?”

 “If it gets worse, you tell him. If not, I’ll break the promise and do it myself.”

 Kat sighed. “Alright. Deal.”

 Neither woman mentioned the topic again that night. They enjoyed dinner and decided to watch another scary movie even though the last time they did, AJ almost got knocked out with a bat. Thankfully, the guys didn’t show up as a surprise that night and Kat decided to stay at Brenda’s so she wouldn’t have to drive home too late. She would be able to go home and change before she had to be at the airport.

 “Do you need anything?” Brenda asked.

 “No, I’m fine.” Kat said with a smile. “Just going to get some beauty sleep.”

 “Alright. Let me know if you need something.”

 Brenda gave her friend a hug and watched her head down to the guest room. She loved her friend but regretted making that deal with her. It didn’t matter now. What’s done is done and she would do what her friend asked.