- Text Size +

AJ was pretty sure he had died. He was surrounded by white walls and in a bed with tubes. Standing across from the bed was Kat with tears in her eyes. He tried to move but he felt weak and the machines he was attached to didn’t make it easy to move.

 “Hey man. You gave us quite a scare.” Ray said trying to break the tension in the room.

 “Where am I?” AJ said quietly. His throat was killing him and he was finding it hard to talk.

 “You’re in the hospital.” Ray answered not knowing how much he should tell him.

 “Why?”

 Kat had so many emotions coursing through her body and she just couldn’t take it anymore. “Because you were killing yourself! You drank everything under the sun and then climbed into bed. We had to move things to find you. What were you thinking?”

 AJ narrowed his eyes at her. “Why do you care? I didn’t matter to you then, why would I matter to you now?”

 Tears welled up in Kat’s eyes and they threatened to come pouring out.

 “She came out here to help you J. If we hadn’t gone to your house, you might have died.”

 “I don’t care! You should never have brought her here.” he yelled pointing at Kat. “And you should just stay gone!”

 Kat’s heart felt it was being shattered. “I’m sorry I came.” She bolted out of the room before Ray could stop her.

 -----------------

 Kat was rushing so fast out of the emergency room that she bumped into someone almost knocking them to the ground.

 “I’m so sorry……” Kat stiffened.

 The woman didn’t notice it was Kat until she stood up after gathering her purse.

 “Kat?” Denise asked, shocked to see her there.

 “I’m sorry Denise, I really am sorry.” Kat was so overwhelmed by everything going on that she just bolted for the exit and hailed a cab to take her to the hotel. She would get her things from Ray after he left the hospital.

 Denise stared at her retreating form, completely dumbfounded. What was she doing here?

 -------------------

 Ray met Denise coming through the doors to the ER. From the look on her face, she had already figured out that Kat was back.

 “What was she doing here Ray?”

 Ray sighed and decided to come clean. “I called her.”

 Denise’s mouth dropped open.

 “I did it because no one was going to be able to get through to him Denise. He was killing himself. We found him beyond wasted hidden underneath a pile of clothes. If I hadn’t brought her over when I did, he may not have made it.”

 “You could have gone by yourself.”

 “I know but I wanted her out here to try and talk to him. I didn’t know what shape he was in.”

 Denise looked unconvinced but didn’t have time to say anything else before the guys showed up.

 “Where is he?” Howie asked in a frightened voice.

 “In the ER waiting for a room.”

 “Can we see him?”

 “Two people at a time.” Ray said.

 “Denise and Nick should go.” Brian offered.

 Without waiting, they both rushed through the doors and disappeared.

 “What happened Ray?”

 “I don’t really know. We found him under a pile of clothes completely passed out. He was barely breathing.”

 “Did you say we?” Kevin asked.

 “Sorry, I meant me. I mean I.”

 None of them believed him but they didn’t have a chance to say anything before Nick came flying through the doors.

 “Kat was here?” he yelled.

 Everyone turned to look at Ray. His shoulders slumped down and he couldn’t look at anyone.

 “I think it’s time for another family meeting.”