- Text Size +

She walked towards Claudia and repeated herself.

 “We’re going to take him. Can you bring him here tomorrow morning?”

 “Kat.” AJ said tugging on her arm.

 “The sooner the better.” Claudia said and returned to her car.

 Everyone watched her leave and then turned to face Kat.

 “What the hell?” Nick and Kevin asked at the same time. AJ just turned around and headed down to the living room. He was sitting on the sofa with his head in his hands when the rest of them got down the hallway. Kat sat down next to him and pulled his hands away.

 “Why did you say we’d take him?” AJ asked quietly.

 “You and everyone else might not see it this way, but Ryan is your son AJ. Michelle never helped you raise him and you really are the only true parent he knows. Yes, he may not be yours biologically and yes, he is that crazy woman’s son, but he was your son for a long time. You’ve told me at least a dozen times that you can’t bear to do anything with his room. Why do you think that is?”

 Kat waited for him to respond but he didn’t say anything.

 “You miss him and you love him AJ. You can’t deny that.”

 AJ thought about it for a minute before he spoke. “What if this whole thing starts again?”

 “What’s going to start again? I’m sorry for saying it but Michelle is not in the picture anymore.”

 Everyone agreed with Kat although none of them would voice it.

 “Michelle is gone and that little boy needs a parent and a home. Your name is on the birth certificate which legally makes him your son.”

 “Unless someone challenges it.” he whispered.

 “Who’s going to challenge it?” Kat asked quietly. “We all know what Michelle was like. She was probably telling the truth when she had no idea who the father was. Who’s going to come and say Ryan is theirs?”

 “I went through enough with this whole thing already. I don’t think I can do it again.”

 “You love Ryan and you’re his dad. Would you rather see him wind up in foster care? That woman is just like Michelle and I have no doubt that she would leave him on the front steps of whatever building she found first. Kids get bounced around from home to home AJ. Brenda and I have seen it happen.”

 Brenda nodded her head. “It isn’t pretty AJ.”

 “I know you AJ and I know how much you love that little boy. It’s time to bring him home where he belongs.” Kat said.

 “I agree with Kat.”

 It was everyone’s turn to stare at Denise now and Kat looked at her with grateful eyes.

 “Michelle was horrible to you but you adored that little boy. You’re my son and a wonderful man sweetie. I know there is no way you would let Ryan suffer just because of what Michelle did. You can provide him a loving, stable home with people he already knows.”

 “Maybe he forgot everyone.”

 “No.” Denise said, shaking her head. “He’ll remember. He knows all of us and we all love him.”

 Everybody knew that was true. No one had stopped loving him and if they had known about the birth certificate, they would have helped AJ fight for him.

 “I know you’re mad at me for saying you’d take him,” Kat whispered quietly, “but you love him and I know you wished things didn’t happen the way they did. You couldn’t fight for him before but you can now.”

 AJ looked at her with tears in his eyes. “You and I just got us back and now I’m going to take Ryan back?”

 Kat grinned. “It’s you and I AJ. Who ever said we did anything the easy way?”

 Brian and Howie laughed in spite of the situation. “She’s got your there J. It wouldn’t be you if you guys didn’t do things the hard way.”

 “You won’t leave?” AJ asked her.

 “Absolutely not.” Kat replied. “No more running, no more leaving. You and I are going to be in for the long haul.”

 She reached out and took his hand. “You can’t get rid of me now.”

 AJ smiled for the first time since Claudia had arrived. “Does that mean you’ll move in with me?”

 “I guess you can twist my arm.” Kat said with a smile. “Someone’s going to have to help you.”

 AJ leaned in and kissed her gently. “Do you know how much I love you?”

 “You can show me later.” she whispered in his ear.

 “Gladly.”