- Text Size +
Leighanne called everyone after she got Brian’s call and they were all there by the time Brian got AJ home.

“I’m sorry J.” Nick said pulling him into a hug. “I really am.”

“Me too.” AJ said softly.

“Why don’t you tell us everything that happened?” Kevin asked as everyone took a seat.

AJ sat there for a minute trying to figure out how to say it. “You guys know her heart stopped the other day right?”

Everyone nodded and he paused before continuing. “The doctor said it was hard to get Kat back this time. He wants me to sign a DNR.”

“You’re not going to do it right?” Brenda asked.

“I don’t know.”

This answer shocked everyone. Nobody had even thought that AJ would give it a moment’s consideration.

“Don’t do it AJ.” she pleaded. “Don’t give up.”

“I’m not giving up, I would never give up.”

“If you sign that paper, you will be!” Brenda yelled as Nick tried to get her to calm down.

“The doctor says it’s probably the best thing to do.”

“I don’t care what the doctor thinks. I know this isn’t what she would want.”

“I don’t think she’d want this either.”

“Then you don’t know her as well as I thought you did.”

“Stop it Brenda.” Nick said with a harsh tone. “You’re not helping.”

“I’m not helping? I’ve known Kat for years, longer than any of you. I think I would be the one who knows what she wants.”

“Then why did she make me her health care proxy?” AJ asked getting angry. He didn’t like the insinuation that he didn’t care about her as much as Brenda did.

“I have no idea since you’re ignoring her wishes and contemplating signing that damn form!”

“What would you have me do then?” he demanded.

“Not sign it and not give up on her! I can’t even believe you’re thinking about doing this and that you’d be ok with letting her die!”

“And I can’t believe you want to keep her like a vegetable!”

Brenda jumped up. “Screw you AJ!”

She stormed out of the house and Nick stood up.

“I get that she’s making you mad J, but that was out of line.”

He turned and went outside to check on Brenda. AJ hung his head and felt bad that he had put it that way to Brenda. When he looked up, all he saw was everyone looking at him.

“I’m sorry.”

“Don’t apologize J.” Kevin said. “You were a little hard on her but this isn’t an easy situation. All options have to be considered and Brenda is just having a tough time coming to terms with that.”

“I am too! I don’t wanna to sign this form but I don’t want Kat to be lying there, trapped and in pain, just so that I can keep her around for me.”

“No one said you did J.” Howie added. “We all know you want what’s best for Kat.”

“But I don’t know what that is.”

“I don’t think any of us do.” Brian said. “It’s one of those times that we just have to make a decision. You’re stuck between a rock and a hard place. Both of these choices have consequences and you need to think about which one is in Kat’s best interest.”

AJ was about to say something when his cell phone rang. Everyone listened to the one sided conversation and knew that it wasn’t good news.

“I understand.” AJ said into the phone. “Tell Dr. Anderson that I’ll come by tonight and sign the paper.”

He hung up the phone and turned around to face his brothers.

“Her heart stopped again. I can’t keep doing this to her.”

“Do you want us to go with you?” Howie asked.

“No. I’m going to go by the house and try to figure stuff out. I’ll go back to the hospital tonight and do it.”

They all watched as he left and were still sitting there when Brenda and Nick came back in.

“Where is J go?” Nick asked.

“Home. Kat’s heart stopped again and he’s going to sign the paper tonight.”

Brenda sank onto the couch and started to cry. Nick sat down next to her and wrapped his arm around her. No one knew what to say so they just sat there in silence.