- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry for the delay...it's not my intention to keep you all wondering...but I'm trying really hard to be on the ball with updating. Thanks!
Chapter 7

One week later, I looked around the house and sighed. Being gone from it for so long made me love it all the more. And why did I think all those damn stairs were beautiful? Damn it all to hell!

“I guess that guestroom that you painted that hideous shade of yellow just became your bedroom,” Resa joked as she took the suitcase in there. She turned and looked at me and I shot her a glare. But I knew she was right. There was no way I was making it upstairs in a damn wheelchair. And then for that matter, there was a lot that needed to be changed at my house. And that was a task I’m sure both Rochelle and myself weren’t looking forward to.

“I guess you wanna follow Resa hon.” I tilted my head back and looked up at Rochelle, noticing the slight grimace as she pushed me into my new room.

“I hate this room. Do we have to stay there?”

“Well, do you wanna carry him upstairs every night? And then carry him down every morning?” Theresa lifted a brow as she looked at Rochelle and I had to bite the inside of my cheek to keep from laughing at the mere thought.

“No one asked for your input Theresa.”

“That’s true, Ro Ho, but then again, if you thought before you speak, you would have known it’s impossible for Alex to stay anywhere that’s not on the first floor. He, and you, are lucky enough there is a bedroom down here, other wise, you would be sleeping alone.”

“Hey, okay, stop. Geez you two!” I glanced between these two women and knew that having them together to help through this was going to be a challenge. “I don’t you two fighting. Besides, I’m rather tired. Ro, hon, can you please get me some water; I need to take my pills.” I smiled as she leaned down and gave me a kiss before walking out of the room.

“God AJ, how you stand her?” Resa asked as she pushed me closer to the bed and helped me out of the chair.

“She’s a good lay.”

“Eww! That is not what I ever wanted to know. That’s just nasty!” I cracked up and kissed Resa’s cheek.

“I love you Resa. You really are one of my best friends. Thank you.” She pulled the blanket up over my legs and then over my waist before gracing me with one of her smiles.

“Yeah, I know. I’ll be back later. If you need anything, just text me.”

“How about some paint?”

“Not my problem, McLean, bye!” I chuckled again and rested my head against the headboard, feeling a sense of happiness that I hadn’t felt in quite a while.


-----
“Is he okay?” She swirled the liquid around in her glass before taking a sip and answering his question.

“Ya know D, I think he is. He was joking around before I left. So, I’m thinking he might pull through this. I’m not sure he will ever be the same AJ, but I think he might be close.” Howie smiled at Theresa, taking a sip of his own drink.

“Even with her around?” Resa rolled her eyes and shot D a glare.

“You know how much I hate her and yet you still bring her up?” Howie only chuckled some more.

“Why do you hate her?” Resa paused and then turned her eyes to her glass. The why was a bit more complicated then she honestly wanted to explain. “Theresa?” Her eyes finally glanced up and she looked at him. Howie only shook his head as she stared at her. “He has no clue.”

“No clue about what, Howie?”

“About how you feel; about how much you love him.”

“I do not!”

“Are you trying to tell me that?” Howie paused and set his hand on her arm. “Or are you trying to tell yourself that?” Resa glanced down one more time, finally pushing her glass away.

“AJ waltzed into my life and was this amazing bubble of energy. He was smart and funny and talented. But there were dark moments, a hatred I could see just buried in his eyes. And from what I could sense, that felt like me.” Howie pushed his glass away as well, honestly only having the basics of how those two became friends. “Like AJ, my dad had left too. And after we really ran into each other at the parlor, we just, couldn’t stop talking. I told him I was getting ideas for when I turned 18 and that just the stage. When he was finally done and we left, we still didn’t stop talking. I remember staring into eyes and all that anger that I could sense, could see, wasn’t there.” She stopped talking and licked he lips before smiling up at Howie. “I learned that day, and many more times after that, that for whatever strange reason, when AJ is with me, that anger isn’t there. His brown eyes are so clear and wonderful. And yet, he’s been with all these other women, and that stupid, underlying anger is back.” She stopped again thinking how to put her next words. “I know I have loved that man for many years. I’ve always been scared to pus that issue because I don’t want to see that anger, and know I’ve put it there.” Howie wrapped his arms around her; not even admitting that he knew of AJ’s many secrets about Resa.”