- Text Size +
Chapter 8

“Leave my alone, damn it! If you can’t help me than you don’t need to be around! Now get out!” Resa walked past Rochelle as she huffed, grabbed her purse and left without saying a word.

“Okay McLean, what did I miss?”

“Nothing, everything!” I muttered, throwing my hands up in the air.

“Yeah, okay, that makes perfect sense. Care to explain?” Resa stopped me as I tried to roll away and knelled before me. “Hey, dumbass, talk to me, what’s going on?”

“Her!”

“I gathered that much when I walked in. Why don’t you open up a bit more?” I glared at her then sighed. Did I honestly think I could go, get all pissed and not explain what the hell happened? Not with this woman.

“Rochelle is just being a pain. I wanted to try my therapy and because I couldn’t even do it slightly, she got all upset and started calling me names. So, I yelled in returns and told her to leave.”

“I see. Has the nurse stopped by?”

“What nurse?”

“How about the therapist?”

“What therapist? What the hell are you talking about Theresa?”

“I see she didn’t tell you. I guess it’s a good thing that I was there.” I gritted my teeth and glared at her.

"I just yelled at my fiancé, I would have no problem yelling at my best friend.”

“Theresa…”

“Slow your roll AJ. A nurse was supposed to come by and check the place out, make sure everything was okay, including you. And a therapist was supposed to stop by to help set things up and start helping you. Rochelle has no idea on what to even look for. You are not supposed to be doing anything alone. You could end up doing more damage then you think.”

“You’re kidding. And she knew this?” Resa shrugged at that.

“She was there. But if she was listening and computing, I can’t really tell you.” I rolled my eyes, even more annoyed with her. How was this supposed to be helping me? This could make it even worse. Maybe she was being to damn dense to understand all that could happen if I couldn’t get back on my feet.

“Sometimes I wonder about her.” Resa lifted a brow at me and I shrugged. What exactly could I say? That at certain times I wondered why I stayed with her. But, I did love her, and yes, the sex did blow my mind. “So, did these people say when they might come?”

“That I can’t answer Alex. They just said sometime today. But do know and remember this; you have the will power to beat this. But if you over do it, you’re going to do more harm then good. And if that means I’m stuck taking care of your ass, I will hurt you all the more myself.” I just stared at her for a moment before I started to chuckled, thankful to have her around.

“I know Resa. The last thing I wanna do is keep myself confined to something like this chair. It would drive me insane.”

“Good, I’m glad we are on the same page. And, with that note, how about something to eat?” I glanced at her as she got behind my chair and pushed me to the kitchen, not meaning to compare her to Rochelle. Nor did I mean to think about how many times I had done that in the past, nor how many times I could, and would, do that in the future.


------
“At least you look a tad happier.” I rolled my eyes at Howie as he sat on the bed later on that evening.

“I am. I know the road I’m going on is gonna be long and hard, but I can do it.”

“Performing means that much to you?”

“You know that man. As it is, I already think I sold my soul for all the blessing we have gotten.” Howie had to smile at that, for in truth, he could agree to what he was feeling.

“I know. So, where’s your woman? I saw Resa in the
living room.”

“Rochelle has just pissed me off right now. I don’t get her, or the things she does half the time, it makes no sense.” I rubbed my face and leaned my head back on the pillow. “It’s like, she wants me, and then she doesn’t. Does that make sense?”

“Of course man. It all depends on what’s going on. If it works in her favor, she’s the sweetest, most loving person to you, right?” I cringed when he said that. It was the truth, but it sound so very wrong. Yet, I just nodded my head in agreement.

“I hate that point too. I mean, she really has other times when she’s ad not getting anything, you know?”

“You mean other than your love, affection, and money?”

“Okay, she’s not quite that bad of a gold digger, you know.” I crossed my arms and frowned, hating that all the more. I wasn’t always the best judge of character, but even I wasn’t that bad.

“Well, you’re more than welcome to believe whatever you want.”

“You know what D, did you come here to harp on me or to try and cheer me up. Because of it’s the latter, you’re doing one shitty ass job.” Howie held his hands up in protest, but couldn’t seem to stop smiling none the less.

“Sorry man, I’ll stop. Did the nurse stop by yet? What did he or she say?”

“You knew someone was coming over too?”

“Um, just bout everyone knew, why?” I shook my head, not about to get into it over Rochelle again. But when she came home, I was going to have a talk with her.

Why she as trying to screw things up, I wouldn’t understand. Having me homes rather then out working means that I couldn’t give her all the fancy crap and she so desperately needed. I snorted at that and looked at Howie as he glanced at me, but I just shook my head.

“Are you ready to eat?” Resa said, poking her head into the room.

“I am. Jay, are you?” I looked from Resa to D, glad to at least have people like them in my life.

“I am. Think someone could give me a hand?” Both of them started clapping and I glared at them. “Smart asses.”

“But of course,” Resa said as she walked into the room and helped me into the chair.


-----
“Thank you Resa.” She frowned as she put the chair against the wall, leaving it within reach if I needed it. She sat down on the bed, setting her hand by my hip and I reached out and took it.

“Thank me for what Alex?”

“For helping me. When I told Rochelle to leave, I didn’t think she was gonna be gone the whole day. But you stayed and took care of me. I couldn’t ask for a better friend.”

“Oh, J, you don’t have to thank me. We have been best friends forever and I can’t imagine just leaving you to fend for yourself.” I squeezed her hand and she smiled. I may not have always picked out the best girlfriends, but I had one of the best and most amazing friends around. And I wondered how often I took that for granted. I stared into her eyes, my breath catching as I saw the glow in her eyes, a spark that I hadn’t seen but once before, when she had fallen in love with a Marine. And my heart sped up to a beat that couldn’t be good for my recovery.