- Text Size +
Chapter 9
Resa walked out the door, shaking her head. She sat there, on his bed, just staring him in the eye, and was about to blurt out her feelings. How the hell could she? Thank goodness Rochelle called so she could leave and mentally kick herself.

She had loved that man for so long, even before she had met Matt and fell for him. But, back then, she had known that Alex would never see her as anything more than a friend. Granted, that didn’t stop her heart from falling in love with Alex.

But, she didn’t use Matt; she did love him, just not to the extreme that she had loved Alex. God, and here Ales was, talking about marrying Rochelle. Really? Couldn’t he see that she would, was, doing him wrong?

A lot of people had always told Resa that she was very over protective of Alex, and she knew that was true. She could openly admit that she had managed to chase off a chick or two. Not that she cared, nor in all truth, did Alex. It wasn’t like she acted differently behind his back. And what was great about their relationship, all the chicks that he ever dated, knew Resa was in the picture. He always said she was his best friend, and if they didn’t like it, too damn bad. But, even she could admit, things with Rochelle were different.

Resa sighed and plopped down on a bench. When they started dating, she hated to think about what that difference made, and she hated thinking about it now. Did she really feel that AJ was in love, no. Did she think it could happen, of course. Alex, AJ, was a great guy. Jerk when he needed to be, but all in all, a huge teddy bear.

And what made everything even funnier, Rochelle was, or
has been, the only person to have the balls to stand up to Resa. So, either she loved Alex enough to fight for her, or loved his money enough that she just couldn’t afford to lose him. Mean as it was, Resa believed that second though way more so then the first one. And no matter how much she told Alex that, he ignored her. And that hadn’t happened either.

For a time, she had thought, had felt, that she would lose his friendship, but he never allowed it. He always claimed she was way more important than she ever thought; which always made her feel special. And, the other joy was that Rochelle hated that. Hated the closeness that they had; hated that Rochelle and he weren’t like that and never would be. Yeah, Resa had a mean bone and a jealous side, but could anyone really blame her?

Granted, having a friend of the opposite sex had both pros and cons. Like she wasn’t the only to chase people off in a relationship. AJ had on plenty of occasions, managed to get those big ass bodyguards involved while scaring away some creep. Although, when she fell in love with her Marine Mat, Alex hadn’t tired to scare him off. Maybe he knew Matt was different. Or maybe, for a change, Alex was actually scared of someone she dated. But then again, wasn’t the term ‘Marine’ scary enough?

She sighed and ran her hand through her hair, nearly jumping and screeching as her phone vibrated in her pocket. She pulled it out, laughed at the caller ID and quickly answered it.

“Yes sir?”

“Are you home yet?”

“Excuse me Alex?”

“It doesn’t take you twenty minutes to get home. You live two streets down from me! Are you okay? You usually text me when you get home.” She frowned as she listened to that whole deal. Did she actually do that to let him know she had gotten in okay? Strange, it must be out of habit, because she couldn’t really recall doing that.

“I’m fine hon. I just took a detour through the park and I’m sitting on the bench. Do you always worry about me?”

“When you don’t text me within 45 minutes, you’re damn right I worry.” She glanced at her watch and frowned even more.

“I guess I got more lost in thought. I’m sorry Alex.”

“Thinking about what?” She bit her lip from blurting out the truth for the second time that night, settling for half the truth instead.

“Matt. I miss him. The anniversary of his death is in a few days.”

“How many years now?” She closed her eyes, hearing the phone call from his mom and had to swallow a few times. Alex may have part of her heart, but Matt did too. He really was her second greatest love and recalling parts of their past was difficult.

“Three next Monday.” She got up off the bench and made her way to her house. It was one story, and she thought for the umpteenth time, that Alex should stay here while he got better. But, she would be damned if she let Rochelle stay in her house. And since she couldn’t, Alex wouldn’t stay without his precious pet.

“Are you almost home?”

“Yes mother. I already left the park and I’m getting ready to go in.” She entered and quickly turned the alarm off, making sure he heard so that he knew she wasn’t lying.

“Good. Now, I’m snug in bed, Rochelle will be home any minute to take care of anything. Please be safe and I’ll talk to you later hon, love ya.”

“Love ya too.” She hit the end button on her phone and then tossed it on the couch. She had to close her eyes and ignore the words that he said about Rochelle. Did he really think she cared? Yeah, probably, since they were such good friends.

She sighed, grabbed a bottle of water and then sat down on the couch, feeling quite lonely. Not that she wanted to go out with anyone, but she wanted to be home, curled up on the couch with her man, watching some romantic movie. Okay, that made her laugh. She would probably watch some action movie over that. But that was beside the whole point. She sighed again and then heard a bark.

“Come here Jack. I know you miss daddy. He will be by soon.” The dog jumped up on the couch, rested his head on her leg and she scratched behind his ears, leaning her head back and letting her mind wander.

-----
She awoke a few hours later, groaning at the stiffness in her neck. She sat up some, and with one hand, tired to massage the kinks out and with the other, grabbed her cell phone. The vibrations is what woke her up and she thought it would be Alex. She frowned as she saw Nick’s name pop up. God, they hardly spoke, why would he be calling?

“Yes Nick?”

“Did I wake you?”

“Mmhmm. But its okay, what’s up?”

“Well, um, I thought we could talk?”

“About what?”

“About what happened. We were supposed to talk, but then all that stuff with Alex happened.” She narrowed her eyes as she listened to him.

“Nick, are you drunk?”

“Do you think I only call you when I’m drunk?”

“Yes, like you only call me when you need to get laid. There’s nothing to talk about, alright?” With that, she hung up, groaning as she knew that Nick had become more of an enemy.