- Text Size +
Chapter 1: Best Friends

Brian searched all around the school and finally found her on the bleachers in the gym, as was her usually thinking place. He ran up the steps, and though she didn’t glance up, she knew it was him. He walked over to her and gently nudged her arm and then sat down next to her.

“Hey you.”

“Hey,” she mumbled back, playing with the edge of her book, running her long painted nails over it.

“You wanna talk?”

“Not really Bri.” She kept her eyes glued to the math book that was sitting there on her lap. He knew she was good at math but he knew she wasn’t fascinated by it.

“Talk to me.” She blinked a few times, finally lifted her head and then turned to look at him.

“What’s to talk about Bri? You’re leaving and your dreams are coming true. You told me just the other day how you were talking to Kevin and he got into that group and how you envied him. I know what you want; after all, I am your best friend.” Brian watched her and then reached over to wipe a tear away.

“You are my best friend, that’s never gonna change.” She glanced up again, her eyes watery. With all her heart, she wanted to believe that; that their friendship was strong enough to with stand anything and everything.

“You promise? That when you get all big and famous on me, you won’t forget us little people, back here in this small town?”

“Oh hon, how could you ever suggest that? You, of all people, know me better than that. I could not forget some of my biggest supporters.” She sighed again, looking down at his hand on her arm.

“Fine. So, when do you leave?”

“Saturday morning. They want me out right away.”

“I have to finish this year without you? Really Brian? What about graduation? Prom? Our parties?” He looked at her and tried to say something, anything, but in all truth, he had no idea. He really doubted he could get the time off for any of those things but right now, he couldn’t bear to hurt her more than he already had. But she shook her head, seeing the truth in his eyes. Lying was never a strong point for him and he sure wasn’t going to start now. “Forget it, just forget it.”

“Wait, Theresa…”

“I’ll be there to see you off, you know that. And you will always have my support, but right now, at this exact moment, do not expect me to be happy, cause I can’t be.” With that, she got off the bleachers and made her way outside, her heart in her throat. How could he do this? Right now, when she needed him so badly? And how could she be so selfish? Yes, she knew this was dream. In fact, it would probably go beyond all his dreams, and with all her heart, she wanted that. But still, part of her could only imagine what life would now hold in store for them.

She went to her locker and put her stuff away, resting her forehead against the cold metal door, both her mind and her heart spinning. What was funny, was she was in the classroom with him, but even he didn’t know what was going to happen. But, deep within her, she knew. And after that, she really couldn’t stand to see him, so she ditched the last class. Even more sad was how he knew how, or more like where, to find her.
She shook her head, grabbed her rather empty backpack, flung it over her shoulder and started walking home. And, as his best friend, maybe she lied. She was happy, like she was happy for Kevin, but there was no way she was going to tell him that.

-----
She tossed the football to her younger brother, frowning as she heard someone kick the rocks in her backyard. There was only person who came to her house that way. She sighed, knowing it had been two days since she really talked to him and he was leaving tomorrow. She threw one more pass before turning around and looking at Brian. He caught the ball as James tossed it to him.

“You’re getting better at that little man.”

“Thanks Bri! It’s sure going to be boring with you gone. I gotta deal with my sis alone.”

“Give her some credit man. One day, you’re gonna be the one looking out for her.” Brian gave James back the ball after he hugged the little guy.

“James, go wash up. And then help mom.”

“But…”

“James, don’t make me beat you up.” He squealed and ran inside at her threat.

“You know, that scare tactic is only gonna work for so long?”

“I know. But until he gets older, and learns, I’m gonna use it.” Theresa walked over to the bench they had underneath a tree and sat down; Brian quickly following. “I owe you an apology, Bri. I’ve been down right rude about all of this, and I shouldn’t have. It would be like me getting an internship in New York. You would be hurt that I left, but you would always support me.”

“I know. And I can’t blame you for being hurt. We had a ton of plans together. And I don’t know, who says they still can’t happen?”

“We both know that,” she took his hand and smiled at him, “it won’t happen. I want you to become famous. You have a huge amount of talent, and they will see it and you’re gonna rule the world!” They both laughed, though for each, it might have been a little forced.

“Come with me out to the lake? Mom said I should spend my last night with my best friend.”

“Sure. Let me go grab my jacket.”

-----
They both giggled as they brought up past memories, their favorite being when they shared their first kiss there last summer.

“You know, you were my first kiss?” Theresa turned her head and looked at Brian, smiling all the more.

“You were mine too.” He took her hand and linked his fingers through hers.

“Have you ever thought about doing more?”

“You mean with you?” She bit her lip and then smiled as he blushed. God, she loved that blush on him. “Of course Bri. You really are my best friend, you’re really the only person I’m comfortable with.”

“Same here.” They stared in each others eyes, both of them longing for so much more. And at least for tonight, it didn’t matter that he was leaving and could quite possibly forget all about her; no matter what was said or promised.

He used his other hand to cup her cheek and slightly pulled her closer, his own head inching forward even more. Both took their time, both giving the other person room and time to stop. But with a few breaths, their lips were once more touching, and for both teenagers, time stopped and nothing mattered but these precious moments.

Theresa wrapped her arms around his neck and Brian slid his hands down her side and around her back. Theresa let out a soft moan against his lips; a need building slowly in her that was matched by Brian.

He slowly pushed her on her back and then followed her down, neither one of them wanting to stop. Brian’s hands slid under her shirt and pushed it up, his fingers trailing softly over her skin, savoring every feeling and emotion that was new. For both of them, this was all new, and yet, it seemed like it was natural for as close as they were. Brian finally pulled back and looked at her, her eyes burning as brightly as his.

“Are you sure?”

“I want it to be special Bri; and you’re special.” With that, she pulled his head back down to kiss him again.

-----
Theresa stood back as Brian said goodbye to his family, his mom more teary eyed, no matter how much she held back.

“You can tell Kevin I will be holding him accountable! He better watch out for you. And you can bet I will be talking to his mom!”

“Mom, leave Auntie out of this, goodness.” He gave them another hug and then turned to her. “You gonna be okay?”

“It’s gonna be quiet, I know. But, maybe the teachers won’t be so mad at me now.” They shared a laugh and then they hugged tightly, both wishing this wasn’t happening and yet, at the same time, wishing it went far. “Take care Brian. And I want tons of phone calls and letters and updates!”

“You got it. Take care.” He smiled at her, hearing his final boarding call, waved to everyone and then ran to the entrance. Everyone stayed until the plane disappeared and then the quiet bunch made their way back to the car.