- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Trying to get updates going...sorry guys!
Chapter 10: Being Caught

Brian froze in mid step as he watched that, once more his anger boiling over. How dare they? And right in front of him, no less.

“Hey, old man, move it,” Rochelle said from the back of the group. Everyone looked at Brian, including the group in the store and mentally, Brian had to shake himself. He knew what he had to do, which was okay; after all, this road he was on was for the greater good. He knew the type of man that Nick was, know just how Nick was gonna use her than hurt her.

“Sorry guys.” He stepped aside and let everyone in before him, a grin slowly appearing on his face the more he thought about what he had to do. Sure it would hurt but at least this would be a quick pain. Nick breaking her heart in the long run wouldn’t be that quick.

He glanced over at them again, not even paying attention to anyone watching him. His mind set was really on what to do with this new development. Oh, sure, Nick had made a comment or two, but he always thought Resa was smarter than to fall for that kind of charm.

-----
“What did you do to Brian, man?” AJ asked as he walked up behind Nick. Nick glanced back at him, than looked back at his son and shrugged.

“Hell if I know. It’s not like I even asked the woman out.”

“You don’t think, like maybe, he’s in love with her, or something, do you?”

“Really AJ? Brian has eyes only for his wife. Although, I do know that they both happened to lose their virginity to each other.”

“Oh really? Now that’s an interesting piece of info. And that doesn’t bother you man?”

“No, AJ, should it?”

“It gives them a unique bond. Come on, have you ever forgotten the very first woman you slept with?”

“This is different. That woman was not my best friend.”

“It’s not that different. Not when you stop to think about it anyway.”

“Fine. But, no, I don’t think that gives her any special attention or anything, or a special relationship.”

“Whatever you say man.” AJ sat Ava down next to Damian and watched as they gurgled at each other. “You think LeighAnne knows?”

“Do you really think something that big would be kept from LeighAnne?” Both men looked at each other than both of them nodded. That was huge. And if LeighAnne knew that, would she really be so buddy, buddy with Resa; which actually gave a bit more proof to what AJ said.

“I still say there is nothing special. And I think LeighAnne does know.” AJ just shrugged of Nick’s statement then both of them turned their attention to the two women who were walking over to them, arm in arm.

“Hey Nick, hi AJ,” Resa said, sitting down on the grass and cooing at the kids.

“LeighAnne, pop a squat, I wanna talk to you.” Nick flashed his eyes at AJ, but AJ, being AJ, completely ignored him.

“What’s on your mind?” LeighAnne asked, sitting next to AJ.

“You, Brian, and Theresa.” Theresa’s head snapped up and looked at everyone.

“Okay, not that strange of a trio. But what about us?”

“Have you ever had issues with Brian and Theresa’s friendship?”

“AJ!” Nick said, but AJ wasn’t really the type to sugar coat things, nor was he the type to let things slide.

“Issues? Like what? Age? Jealously? Resentment?”

“You said it, not me,” AJ sad, holding up his hands and LeighAnne rolled her eyes.

“Oh, you are horrible. But to answer, yes I did. Look at Theresa, she’s gorgeous. And to know that Brian and her had been so close, that there was such a special bond, you can bet your scrawny ass I was jealous!.” Nick watched as Theresa went on playing with the kids, this bit of news not seeming to bother her.

“So, did you tell Brian?”

“Oh, I didn’t have to. Brian knew there was something off, and Theresa did too. She stopped coming around. Actually, I saw the friendship that they had, and how that her not being around really hurt Brian. I loved my man, but I didn’t want her around.”

“After knowing that, you can only imagine my surprise when I got a phone call asking me to go out to lunch to talk,” Theresa spoke up without looking up.

“But I had to talk to her; I had to figure out if she was really a threat. And maybe when Brian and I started dating, she might have been; but now, or at that point, no way. So, as I got to really know her, I saw what Brian saw in her; why he loved her dearly. And I came to love her just as dearly.”

“So, Brian being such a dick has nothing to do with like wanting Theresa?”

“God no AJ. Brian being that way is simply Brian having an issue that he needs to work out in his own mind,” LeighAnne said as she stood up.

“Uh, AJ, Ava needs a diaper change.”

“Damn babygirl, what did mama give you?” AJ picked up Ava and followed LeighAnne into the house. Theresa looked at Nick and smiled.

“Theresa, has Brian always been like this?”

“No. Personally, it’s you.” Theresa took the spot next to Nick and wrapped her arms around his arm. “I feel that Brian thinks you’re a bad match for me. But, as of right now, there’s nothing going on. We are just two friends hanging out, right Nick?” Theresa lifted her head and looked up at him. Ever since he was younger, she had been able to read him loud and clear. Now, if that was something Nick allowed to happen, he wasn’t quite sure, for no one really could read him quite as well as she could.

So, with that thought really floating through his mind, he wasn’t quite sure if he could lie to save his hide. Nor was he sure that he wanted to lie.

Theresa saw the struggle within those ocean blue depths and then reached up to cup his cheek. Part of her was saying she was a fool to even think about walking down this path. After all, this was Nick Carter and how many broken hearts had he left behind?

But both bodies, both minds seemed to be thinking of their own accord because in the very next instant, the two bodies had closed the distance and lips were currently engaged.

Howie stepped out and saw the couple, quite happy for he knew the depth of attraction that Nick held for Theresa, but he also knew just how very angry one certain Mr. Littrell would be if it was him who walked out to his.

So, with that thought, and a heavy heart, Howie walked over to the couple and cleared his throat, causing both to jump and look at him guiltily.

“It’s just me. And not that I have a problem with you two, there is someone else here who does.”

Nick stood up and rubbed his hand over his jeans than picked up his son, smiled at Theresa, than looked D in the eye, the meaning there was unknown to her and than left. She sighed and stood up as well before facing D.

“Is he a good man?” She was rather glad that she didn’t have to play games with D and that he understood just where she was coming from.

“You know his past Theresa, probably better than some of us. All I can tell you, is that I think with you, and minus what anyone says, I really think he would be more careful with your heart.” She nodded and hugged Howie, smiling to herself; unable to fight that bit of happiness.