- Text Size +
Chapter 5: Words Aren’t Always True

“Brian!” Theresa ran and kneeled next to Nick, carefully helping him up. “What in the world was that for?”

“I told Nick to watch out for her, to keep you safe, not screw you!”

“Brian Littrell, you are a bigger asshole then I ever thought! Nick was been nothing more then helpful. I was throwing up pretty much all night and Nick has been helping. Good grief!” Theresa rolled her eyes and went to grab a towel for Nick. “I’m sorry Nick.”

“That’s it? Then why are you wearing his shirt?”

“Probably because I destroyed my dress and Nick did not want to rummage around my clothes?” She looked up at him and cocked an eyebrow. “And really, what concern of yours is if I did sleep with him? Or any of the guys?”

“I know these guys, how they are, the last thing I want is to hear how they broke your heart or got you knocked up!” She slowly stood up, Nick’s eyes going between her and him. He might not be close to her like Brian was, but even he could feel the heat of anger coming from Theresa.

“I’m not sure who the hell you think you are, but the last time I checked, you weren’t there the day that my whole honor was tossed out the window because my groom ran away.” She waved her hand at his protest. “And you sure as hell weren’t there the day I was in the hospital, in tears, because I had lost a child. You weren’t there to protect me then, so why do you think you can protect me now? And how do you know that I don’t crave that body or something?”

“Theresa…”

“Save it. I hope you have a great honeymoon, hope LeighAnne enjoys the surprise.” With that, she slammed the door in his face.

“You just slammed the door in Brian’s face.”

“I know Nick.”

“He’s not gonna like that.”

“I know that too Nick.”

“Hey Theresa?” She turned away from the door and walked back over to him.

“Yeah Nick?”

“I’m sorry, about your baby and your ex. I didn’t know about it.” She smiled, as he did, when they thought back over how much he had picked on her about being single.

“Yeah Nick, I know.”

-----
Two weeks later, Nick leaned back against Brian’s couch, currently listening to Brian go on about how happy he was in his marriage, even though they had only been married just a few short weeks.

“That’s all great for you man, but some of us just don’t believe in the holy order of marriage.” All three heads turned and looked at him.

“You don’t wanna get married Nick?” LeighAnne asked, leaning against the arm of the chair to watch him.

“No, I just don’t believe that people hold to their vows. After being jilted Theresa, I’m sure you understand.”

“Well, yeah, I understand. But that doesn’t mean I don’t want to get married. Somewhere out here is my prince charming, someone who will love me like I love him.”

“Well I get that, but you still wanna try the whole wedding again?”

“Yeah, because I do believe in true love and wanting to be married. My past, I see, merely as a tool, as a way to be slapped into paying attention. I wasn’t in love with Seth and I could have rushed into that whole situation. So, now I learned to take my time, to be wiser. If something doesn’t feel right, then it’s probably not right.”

Nick just stared at her, her logic making sense, but with his past and his many family members having failed marriages, he just couldn’t understand how he could make a marriage last, for it almost seemed like a curse. Although, he would applaud anyone who did make it. In fact, with Kevin’s marriage, he still wasn’t sure that man was totally happy.

“Well, after that kind of slap, I wish you only the best of luck.”

“Are you thinking I’m gonna need it?”

“I didn’t say that Theresa. I merely wish anyone and everyone the best of luck. I wished these two crazy people luck.” Everyone chuckled and both LeighAnne and Brian got up to go finish dinner.

“You know Nick, you can’t go around thinking the whole world is wrong or that is has something against you. Yes, you have had relationship issues, as would anyone who has been in the lime light like you have. But, really, you will find someone who is gonna want you, all of you, and you wont be able to deny her.”

“Maybe you’re right.”

“I am. I’m a female. Besides, what about that chick you’ve been talking to? I hear you on the phone every night, what’s her name?”

Nick ducked his head at her questions, not wanting to admit that Sonya, the chick he was currently talking to, was more like a screw buddy then a real relationship. But, he sorta shrugged, but by his blush, she knew exactly what kind of relationship they had.

-----
“Thank you for house sitting for us,” Brian said, giving Theresa another squeeze.

“My pleasure. It was fun, joking around with Nick.”

“Yeah, I’m scared to see what could be laying behind a closed door or something.”

“Hey, don’t look at me. I’m not the prankster. That was always you, and you know Nick only takes after you.”

“Yeah, I taught him well.”

“Too well, he did something else to me, damn dip shit!” Theresa rolled her eyes and shook her head.

“Well, what can I say?” Brian chuckled, throwing his arm around her shoulders. “So, will you answer something truthfully?”

“Brian, when have I ever lied to you?” Brian shrugged at that and cleared his throat a few times. “It can’t be that bad.”

“Do you like Nick?”

“Yeah, I guess. He’s a great kid.” She looked at him, wrinkled her brows and then nodded. “No, not like that. Nick is great, funny, but he’ll always be that young boy to me who still pulls pranks. Nick is not my type in any way. And no offense to LeighAnne, but I’m just not the type to date younger guys.”

“So, if he asked you out, you would say no?”

“Probably. Bri, what is all of this? What does it really matter?”

“I like Nick, he’s a decent guy, a great friend. But, right now, he has a lot going on in his life. He doesn’t know how to have a regular relationship. And if you two somehow got involved, I would just hate to see him hurt you.”

“I see. But really Brian, you can rest assured. I could never see Nick in that romantic light. To me, he will always be that little boy I first met who annoyed the crap out of me.”