- Text Size +
Chapter 6: Surprises

~Present Day~

“When is the last time you saw her man?” Nick asked Brian over the phone as he pulled up to the airport

“Actually, almost a year. She was super busy and we were touring. Thank you for picking her up Nick.”

“And she knows I’m here, right?”

“Yeah. I told her that I was busy so you were picking her up. Just be nice to her man.”

“Hey, I’m always nice to her. Don’t give me that.” Nick rolled his eyes and switched the cell phone to his other ear. “But I’m going in, gate 12, right?”

“Right. Thanks again man. I’ll talk to you in a bit.”

“Alright, later.” Nick ended the phone call and then took a spot, crossing his legs as he waited for the plane to land and then to taxi to the gate.



15 minutes later he stood up and smiled as he saw her walking over to him. He let his eyes roam over her, taking in the shorter hair and the slimmer body. She had lost quite a bit of weight and where she was beautiful before, she was gorgeous now; no, actually, quite stunning.

“Something shocking Nick?”

“You! You look…amazing.” She grinned and blushed and then stood on tiptoe and threw her arms around his neck.

“Thank you. And so do you! You’ve lost quite a bit too. I guess going to the doctor really kicked your butt?”

“Like you wouldn’t believe, actually. And what about you?” He walked her over to the baggage area and grabbed the ones she pointed to.

“It was a personal choice actually. I guess over the many years, I lost my self confidence and let myself go. I was getting older and wanted to be healthier, happier.” He turned to look at her as he walked to the car.

“You look happier. It shows all over, but mostly in your face.”

“Thank you Nick.” He smiled and helped her in the before walking around to the driver side. “And how are things going in your life? Last rumor I heard, you were in quite a serious relationship?”

“Was; we broke up about six months ago.”

“Aw Nicky, what happened?”

“She kept pushing marriage.”

“She knew how you felt about it going into the relationship, right?”

“Of course. I never lead her on or played with her that way. We were living together, hell had a kid together, yet that wasn’t enough for her.” Theresa stared at Nick, not hearing anything about a kid. Slowly, she shook her head to clear it.

“Kid, Nick?”

“Oh yeah, things can be kept mum when we want them to be. Not that I’m ashamed of my son, he’s a gorgeous nine month old who reeks havoc on my life.”

“What’s his name?”

“Damian Gene Carter. He’s mom, Julie, wanted him to have my middle name. Why, I’m not sure.” He shrugged, merged into the on coming traffic and headed down the highway to Brian’s house.

“So, tell me more about what happened here. It must have been serious for all this to happen.”

“Oh it was. Julie was amazing. Smart, funny, witty, charming and yet laid back. And when we got together, she was fine, she accepted everything. And when we moved in and I told her that would be it, she was fine with that too. I’m not sure where things changed to be honest. I have my feelings it was her sisters thoughts; they probably told her to push for more. And there, at the end of the relationship, she did. Almost daily we had a blow up about it. I felt so bad for my son, so I took him and walked out.”

“Wow, so you have full custody?”

“Yup. And I have a court order stating I had to hire a nanny when I’m on tour or recording. It’s actually quite interesting.” She smiled and couldn’t resist turning around in the seat and glanced back to see the back seat, seeing the car seat behind her.

“That’s why the car.”

“Yeah. I still have my SUV, that will always be around, but I need something a bit better to protect my son.” Theresa leaned back against the door and just watched this young boy she knew becoming an amazing man. One didn’t need many clues to see how happy Nick was, nor how proud he was. She also could understand why he would keep that precious news as secret as he could. If the fans knew, really especially without his mom around, yeah, they would go crazy.

“Did Brian watch him?”

“Yeah, I think LeighAnne misses having a baby in the house. Quite surprised she’s not pregnant and working on her seventh kid.”

“I know. And though she isn’t old, age does play a part in it.” Theresa shrugged, understanding more about how LeighAnne felt.

“And what about you? No major boyfriends?”

“God no. I’ve dated, had some good men in my life, but they all were missing something.”

“Sure you weren’t being picky?”

“God, you sound like my mom. She’s not happy that James got married and gave her grand babies, no she has to pick on me.” Theresa glanced out the window and sighed. “When I marry, I want to feel, like no matter what, I can’t live without him; that he is the very air I breathe. With all of those guys, I haven’t felt that. Though great and amazing, the spark wasn’t there to go to the next stage of the relationship. Does that even make sense?” Nick pulled up to Bri’s drive way and took her hand, liking the warmth and the softness.

“To me, it makes perfect sense. Now, let’s get you in so Brian and Baylee can shut up.” They both laughed and he grabbed her bags, helping her out and then headed inside, seeing LeighAnne with Damian. “There’s my boy!” Theresa watched as Nick went go to get him, smiling as Damian gurgled and kicked his legs.

Theresa paused and watched him, really watched him, seeing him transform once he touched Damian. He became a man who was truly happy and with that thought, she ignored the little flutter she felt in her stomach, turning instead to greet the blond boy who currently wouldn’t let her go.

“Hey there Baylee,” she said, squeezing him back.

“I missed you Auntie! Are you staying for a while?”

“Well, how long is your birthday?”

“All month!” They both laughed and she hugged him again.

“We will see how long I can stay sweetie.”

“Okay Bay, my turn to hug my friend, geez.” Brian walked up to Theresa and pulled her into a tight hug. “I’m not all too sure that I like that you got skinny on me.”

“Not your choice hon. But, I wanted to. I needed to feel better about myself.”

“You weren’t that big!”

“I know, and that doesn’t mean anything. When I talked to my doctor, he suggested I work out a bit that it might help my feelings, and he was right. I feel great and look great, and I’m happier now then I have been for a really long time.” He kept his arm around her shoulders as he led her into the kitchen, actually really happy for her, knowing she needed it.

“Good hon. Now, any new love interests?”

“Nope, enjoying the single life again.”

“What’s up with these men? Don’t they know what an amazing woman you are? Do I need to go beat someone up though?”

“No, Brian, you don’t. I know my soul mate is out there; some of us weren’t so lucky to find them on a video shoot.” Brian blushed but hugged her again.

“I know, I just hate seeing you unhappy.” She pulled away from him and went to the fridge, pulling out a soda and shook her head.

“But that’s just it Bri, I’m not unhappy. Right now, I like just focusing on me, fixing what I dislike about me. I’m still young, I know this. And I’m willing to wait for my prince charming instead of forcing happiness.” She popped the lid of her soda and leaned against the counter.

“Okay, I’ll drop the subject for now. But, be ready cause when the other guys come in, they are gonna be asking about it.”

“Brain, I think you’re really the only one who is worried about it, but thank you.” She walked over to him and kissed his cheek. “Now, if you’ll excuse me, there’s an adorable little baby that I wanna play with.”

“Yeah, good luck with that. Damian does not like any females except his grandma and LeighAnne,” Brian informed her as he followed her out of the kitchen and into the living room.

“Now why would that be? I thought all babies liked women?”

“Not Damian.” Brian sat down on the couch, Theresa sitting next to him. She smiled as Damian gurgled and quickly switched his course to come after them. Although, instead of going to Brian like he always did, he went straight to Theresa, using her knees to pull himself up.

“Well hello mister.”

“Brian, have you seen….” Nick trailed off as he watched what his son was doing. “I’ll be damned.”