- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I'M SO SORRY....TALK ABOUT A LACK OF NON WRITING MOJO! But...really...do forgive me please.
Chapter 8: Brian’s Temper Tantrum

“Did I miss something?” Theresa asked as she slipped her feet into the pool by Brian. He had been out there for the last 45 minutes and everyone was asking the same question, what the hell was going on?

“What do you mean?”

“I mean, what is your deal? All of a sudden, you’re like this world class prick. You got no phone call and no one knows of anything. So, since I know you the best, I thought I’d come bug you to see what’s up.”

“Nothing.”

“Hmm, really? Interesting.” She kicked her legs, knowing that would only make him angrier. “You know that you may be able to fool the fans, or those guys, or maybe even your wife, but I’m a very different story, and you should know that.” She placed her hands in her lap and looked at him again. “So, how about we try this again? What the hell is wrong?”

“Let it go, Theresa.”

“Bull shit! Brian, you’re annoying the crap out of everybody! So, please enlighten me here.”

“Fine, you want to know what’s ticking me off here?”

“I think I have a right to know.”

“You!”

“Me what?” She stared at him then slowly her jaw fell down. “You’re upset at me? What the hell have I done?”

“It’s not what you done, but what you are doing. Well, you and someone else.”

“Excuse me?” He stood up and she quickly followed, her hands quickly stopping him from leaving.

“Nick is gonna hurt you!”

“Okay, and?” She kept looking at him, not putting together what he wasn’t saying. Nick and she were just friends, so why was he so damn worried.

“I don’t want you dating Nick!”

“Woah! Let me get this straight...you’re being a top notch prick because you don’t want me to date Nick? There’s nothing going on between me and him!”

“Theresa…”

“No, now is not the time for you to speak, now is the time for you to shut your damn hole and listen! I don’t know who the hell you think you are, but you can not tell me who to date and not date. Yes, you’re my best friend, and by some right, you might have a voice, but you can’t tell me not to see Nick.

“Now, I’m not sure where you got the notion that Nick and I were thinking of dating, but get it out of your head. There is nothing like that between him and me. We are friends, and nothing more!” With that, she flicked her hair over her shoulder and marched off to the house, not believing the gall of her friend.

“Theresa?”

“What?” Theresa sighed and turned around, smiling a bit. “I’m sorry Kev, I didn’t mean to snap at you.”

“Hey, I know how my cousin is. He can tend to really bring out the worst.” Kevin held open his arms and she stepped into them. In many ways, she always felt like Kevin was a big brother to her. He rubbed her back, knowing her too well and knowing that would calm her down. “The kids are down for the night, but they would love a story from their Auntie.”

“Oh, that’s right. I told Baylee that I would read them a story. And they are having a camp out in Bay’s room?”

“Yeah. There’s two cribs set up for Damian and Ava.”

“Thanks Kev.” She smiled at him and than marched up the stairs, entering the room to find all kids wide eyed awake.

“Hey.” Theresa turned her head and smiled at Nick who was changing Damian.

“Hey. Kids ready for bed?”

“I think so.”

“Well,” she turned to three oldest boys, “if they want a story, they all better be in their beds.” She grinned as they all listened. “Are you staying?”

“If you don’t mind. Damian sometimes has a rough time falling asleep.”

“Not at all. That means I can hold Ava and read.” She picked up the little girl and than sat down in the rocking chair, picking up the book. “Everyone all nice and comfy?” She opened the book, cleared her throat and within moments, she had everyone focused on her and the story she was reading.

Nick couldn’t help but smile at her and the way she was. Even Damian, who was fussy because of his teeth, was so entranced by her and soon, his eyes were closed and he was fast asleep. Nick looked around the room, seeing all the kids asleep and stood up to put Damian down, covering him up with the blanket. He kissed his son’s head than stood back, watching her kiss every child and then he lead her out, closing the door behind them.

“You’re really good at that, you know?”

“There’s a joy in being a kid, a child. That’s why I enjoy them so much. I love my brother’s kids too.”

“Someday, you’re gonna make a great mom.” They shared a smile before they both walked downstairs, ignoring the two men who saw them.

“Now, what do you make of that?” AJ glanced at D.

“I’m not sure Howie. But it seems like that Mr. Carter and Miss Lambe sure seem to be getting closer.”

“Yes it does and if I know Brian that could very well be what set him off tonight.” Both men shook their heads, leaving the area as well.

-----
“You know, if Nick is into Theresa, and Theresa is into Nick, you really shouldn’t stop it,” LeighAnne said, not even lifting her gaze from the covers she was currently turning down.

“Are you serious?” She finally paused and looked up at him, an extra pillow in her hands.

“Yes, I am. You know Nick has always been crushing on her. And he’s a man now, and I really don’t think he would hurt her.”

“Now that’s crap if I ever heard it. Nick does not know how to keep a serious girlfriend. And seeing as this is my best friend, I would be damned if I let him hurt her.”

“I don’t think I’ve seen you be such a jerk. They are two adults and if they choose to enjoy each other’s company, you have no damn say in the matter! Now, I guessed you get your head out of your ass and grow up or you run the risk of losing both of your friends. Unless that’s what you want?” She crossed her arms after throwing the pillow on the floor.

“No, I just know that Theresa can do better than Nick.’

“There is nothing wrong with Nick!”

“There is a lot wrong with him!”

“Like what Brian? Give me one damn thing!”

“His age!” LeighAnne just stared at him, not even believing he had a problem with THAT; when their own ages were a bigger difference than Nick’s and Theresa’s.

“If you….never mind. Sweet dreams Brian.” With that, LeighAnne grabbed her house coat and left the room, going to the only guest room she could. If Brian wanted to be that way, than he could sleep alone.

She went to the last door on the second floor, letting out a sigh when she saw the light on and knocked softly. She really hated to bother her, but she was the only one who was alone.

Theresa opened the door, her eyes opening wide as she LeighAnne there. “Is everything okay?”

“Yeah. Would you mind if I crashed with you tonight? Brian and I got in a little spat and I really don’t wanna be around him.”

“Of course. You don’t even have to ask.” Theresa opened the door wider and allowed LeighAnne to enter. “Fight about what?”

“Well, you and Nick.”

“Are you for real? What could you two have possibly fought over?” LeighAnne sat on the bed, pushing her hair behind her ear and sighed.

“I guess he has a huge problem with you two dating. He really feels that Nick is too young for you and is gonna end up hurting you.” Theresa sighed and sat down next to her LeighAnne.

“I’m sorry. I can’t believe he thinks that. LeighAnne, right now, there is nothing going on between Nick and I. To me, he still is that young boy I first met who annoyed the crap out of me.” Theresa closed her eyes and wondered how long she was gonna tell that lie?