- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Okay...another update. SORRY FOR THE DELAY! Hope you enjoy it!
Chapter 9: Time for no more lies

“What are you doing?”

“I came up with some skirt designs that my boss might like,” she said as she roughly sketched a though, adding some shadow and depth to it.

“Are you supposed to be working?” She smirked as she looked back at him.

“Do you not write some type of lyrics when you’re on vacation?” She had him there and he knew it.

“Well, if you weren’t working too hard, I was wondering if Damian and I could entice you to go to the park with us?” Theresa looked at him then at the little boy who was sucking on a teething ring, slobber coming down his chin.

“Well, with a sight like that, I think I would be a fool to say no. You two really make a cute pair.” She put her sketches away and than grabbed her sun glasses. “Do you think the other kids would be mad if I left them behind?”

“Let me see…Rochelle won’t let Ava go; James isn’t feeling that great and Baylee is having fun playing with Mason, so I say for the time being, you’re okay.”

“Well than, Carter boys, you’re on and I would love to go to the park with you.” She stood up on, almost cracking up at the smiled that seemed to light each of the Carter men.


-----
Nick pushed Damian while Theresa sat on the swing next to them, smiling as Damian kept kicking his legs and gurgled. She also couldn’t help but notice the joy that seemed to take over Nick.

“You know, you can’t keep him a secret forever.”

“I know. But can’t I enjoy the peace just a bit longer.” Theresa shrugged and than took a picture of the pair. “So, Brian talks to you, wanna explain what’s up his ass?”

“I do know, am I gonna tell you, no.”

“I’m not a damn child Theresa; you don’t have to protect me.”

“I’m not protecting you. I just think it’s a very foolish notion and has no need to be repeated.” Theresa looked at Nick very seriously and wondered why again, she was lying. Nick was certainly no little blonde boy, but a grown man, a very sexy and handsome grown man.

“It’s about us, huh?”

“What?”

“Brian has a problem with us hanging out huh? Thinks it might become something more?”

“Uh, yeah.”

“I’m not opposed to the idea.” Theresa shook her head at Nick’s comment, not able to wrap her mind around what he was saying exactly. Opposed to hanging out? To becoming more? To Brian being mad?

“Nick…”

“To hanging out, to becoming more.” He knelled down before her and took her hands in his. Now, this was the point of no return. She could reject him or take the leap, but any road that they took; they really could not go back to being just friends.

“You want more?” she softly asked, her eyes glued to his. There was no more time for lies; she was smart enough to know that.

“I do, do you?” They both swallowed and then both smiled.

“I do.” He leaned in, his lips mere inches from hers and than the spell was broken by her ring tone from Baylee, which in turn caused Damian to jerk away with a piercing scream.

“You get Bay, I got Damian,” Nick said, going to pick up his son. Theresa quickly let out a breath and grabbed her phone. “Hey buddy, what’s up?”

“Where are you?”

“I’m at the park with Nick and Damian, do no pull that jealous tone mister.”

“Well, will you both come back? Daddy says we can all get ice cream.”

“I guess we can. Seeing as your uncle Nick is a big kid; he won’t mind the ice cream.” She looked at him and giggled as he stuck his tongue out at her. “We’ll be there in a bit bud.” She hung up and stood up as Nick stepped up to her and took her hand, linking their fingers together.

-----
“Baylee, go help Mason pick up the toys,” Brian said, pushing his son to the room he just run out of, shaking his head. He turned as he heard the car pull up into the driveway and narrowed his eyes as he saw Theresa get out of the car with Nick, a smile on both of their faces. He frowned all the more as Nick got Damian out and then we over to Theresa and took her hand. Silently, he growled. He knew his best friend was smarter than to fall for that stupid ass Carter charm.

He talked to the door and yanked it open, watching the two who stood shocked that he was there. “How nice of you two to come.”

“Brian, we were only gone for an hour,” Theresa said, entering the house, Nick quickly following her.

“Whatever the case, Baylee was asking for you.”

“Brian, Baylee was playing with Mason. He didn’t even know I was gone. In fact, I’m sure you’re the one who told him to call me.” She stepped up to him and narrowed her eyes. I don’t know what bull shit game you’re playing, but it better stop Littrell and I mean now! I’m not dealing with shit heads!”

Brian just stared at her than watched her stomp into the kitchen and turned to look at Nick, who merely had one brow raised. Nick bounced Damian a bit and than looked at Brian again.

“Be careful of how you handle things Brian; you’re likely to lose more than you think.”

“Oh, what do you know?”

“A lot more than you give me credit for! I’m not some kid and you know that. And neither is she; and we would both like it if you treated us with a bit more respect.” With that, Nick turned, grabbed the diaper bag and went into the guest room to change Damian.

Brian sighed and moved to the couch, sitting down and ran his fingers through his hair. He knew he was handling all of this so very wrong, but God, seeing them together was a very hard pill to swallow. And of course, no one was on his side or supporting him. Even AJ was saying that Bri was wrong.

“Daddy, we are ready, are you?” Brian looked up at his song and nodded. He knew he was gonna have to stop and sit down and talk with his friend in a reasonable manner, not blow up at her. With that thought, Brian got up and walked over to Bay.

“I am buddy. Come on guys, let’s get some ice cream.” Everyone shouted as they came from all part of the house, all hooting and screaming.

“I’ll take my car man. Theresa, D, Leigh and James can go with me. Oh, and AJ. Unless you wanna sit next to wifey pooh man.” Nick turned to AJ and puckered his lips, which in turn got him a shove from AJ.

“That’s cool man, I can go with you.” Brian grabbed his car keys and nodded, all of them heading out to the two cars.

-----
“Esa!” James held up his arms as they pulled up the ice cream shop and gout out, Theresa quickly picking James up.

“What do you want little man? Chocolate? So that it will be all over you and daddy can give you a bath.”

“Yeah, thanks for that Theresa,” Howie said, holding the door open for them.

“Oh, chocolate!” James squealed and smiled, which made Howie and Leigh both groan.

“You said it, you can clean him!” Leigh said.

“That’s okay, auntie Theresa likes baths.”

“Oh no hon, he doesn’t take a bath, he has a splash fest!”

“Leigh!” They all laughed as they took a spot in the corner, waiting for Brian. “I would say go get your ice cream guys, you could be here for a while.” Theresa sat James down in a high chair and turned to Nick. “May I have Butter Pecan in a cone please?”

“Coming right up.”

“Thank you.”

“So, Theresa….”

“Yes Mr Howie?” Theresa put the bib on Damian and turned to look at Howie.

“You and Nick?”

“Are….I’m not quite sure. He really isn’t the little boy I once saw. He’s…really quite an amazing guy.”

“He is. Sure, he has his bad points. But I think you two go good together.”

“Why, thank you. Would you please tell Brian that?”

“No one can tell that man anything.”

“I know. Which I don’t get. Brian can be such a jerk.”

“That is true.” Howie sat back, not wanting to get into the reasoning behind that and than grinned as Nick brought the ice cream to Theresa.

“There you go.”

“Thanks Nick, how much do I owe you?”

“A kiss on the cheek?” Theresa grinned and than leaned over to give him one on the cheek, just as Brian was walking in.