- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
This is an older story I wrote back in 2008 but I decided to re-write it and give it a new concept and a new name :) I hope you enjoy it!
Brian woke up at five am to get ready for work. He stumbled around his room to get dressed. Brian had dropped out of high school when he was just seventeen when his high school sweetheart Mary Anne became pregnant with their daughter Natalie who is now ten. He worked hard so Mary could stay at home with Natalie he had a nice job in a warehouse making a decent living as a forklift driver but gave it up when his wife died in a tragic car accident. He then needed extra help with Natalie so his parents let him move back into his childhood home. He now works at a local coffee shop in town it was the best that he could do on such a short notice but his passion has always been singing. He has loved it since he was a little kid before Natalie came along he wanted to move to Nashville and pursue country music but that went on hold. He often wondered what his life would be like if it ever had taken off. Every once in a while he will sing at the local bar in town on Friday nights for a little extra income he always hoped maybe someone would discover him but hasn’t had any luck just yet. Brian was done getting ready for work he walked into Natalie’s room and kissed her forehead.

“See you later after school I love you” he whispered Natalie opened her eyes and Brian just smiled she always reminded him of her mother her dark brown hair and her bright blue eyes.

“Bye daddy I love you too” she whispered back Brian then crept out of her room and went downstairs where his mom was making coffee

“Good morning dear how are you this morning?” she asked.

“Tired, didn’t sleep well last night,” he said,” And Natalie woke up with a nightmare” his mom handed him a cup of coffee and sat down at the dinner table.

“She went through a lot Brian it will get better these things take time to heal”

“I know mom I remember what he told me we will adjust soon I am positive” Brian said sipping on his coffee,” But I really should get going before I am late for work I will see you this afternoon love you mom,” he set his cup in the sink and kissed his mother on the cheek.

“Love you too son, have a good day at work” Brian grabbed his car keys and jumped into his 1999 Toyota Camry and headed to work.

============

A few hours into work was always the busiest for him they were like a Starbucks in the big city but out in the country. Everyone wanted their morning coffee on their long commute to the big city. Brian was cleaning tables when he saw a brunette woman walking up with her little yorkie terrier.

“I am sorry miss you can’t bring her in here,” he said stopping her at the door.

“I just broke down a few miles from here and I really have no clue where I am and I really didn’t want to leave her in the car” she explained.

“Alright, just this once though.” He smirked,” So what can I get you?”

“Just something very strong I feel like I have been driving for an eternity!”

“I can do that so where are you from? I don’t think I have seen you around here before” he said trying to make small talk.

“New York. I was tired of my life and I just wanted a change to get away from everyday life so Sofia and I packed up and just kind of left”

“Well this little small town is defiantly different from New York, never been but have always wanted to go. You must be tired from all that driving do you have somewhere to stay?”

“No I don’t you wouldn’t happen to have a phone book I can borrow do you?”

“Sure let me go get that for you.” Brian walked to the back room and grabbed the phonebook on his way back he couldn’t help but notice how much she resembled Mary Anne,” Here you go,” he said setting the phone book on the table,” Also here is your coffee”

“Thank you so much. How much do I owe you?”

“Don’t worry about it, it’s on the house,” he flashed a smile,” By the way I am Brian” She smiled back at him

“I am Charlotte” she flashed a flirty smile

“Well if you ever need anything I will be right here all day”

“Thank you so much” he went back to washing tables in the lobby and watched Charlotte fumble through the phone book and then she started to search for her phone but realized she didn’t have it he didn’t want to seem like a creeper so he quickly looked away,” Sorry for bugging you again but it looks like I lost my cell phone do you have like a pay phone or some kind of phone I can use?” she asked.

“Sure they are right here in the back” he watched her walk to the back he officially felt like some creeper guy stalking his next prey but he wanted to get to know this girl there was just something about her that intrigued him and he was hoping she was going to be sticking around for a while.