- Text Size +
Hira wandered the market with Saleena, looking over the merchandise offered for sale. They were there for food items, not clothing, but they had already purchased what they needed and were just browsing to see if anything caught their eye.

“You really should unpin that hijab,” Saleena said to Hira. “You have a beautiful face. You should share it with the world.”

“You only say that because you are my friend,” Hira replied. “I am not ready yet, I feel more comfortable with it on.”

“When the men of this town see you, they will all want you,” she teased.

Hira frowned behind her veil. “You know as well as I do that I cannot have anything to do with any of them.”

“Do you really think that matters in this day and age, Hira?” Saleena fingered some bolts of fine silk, wondering if she had enough money to buy a couple of yards. “We are not as old fashioned here as in your village.”

“I will be a wife, but not a whore,” she hissed. “No respectable man will take a non-virgin as a wife, even in places as upscale as Baghdad.”

“Times are changing,” Saleena said, smiling at a young man who was eyeing her. “I am free to choose who I want to marry…or if I even want to marry again.”

“Do not rub it in,” Hira said miserably. “Your brother will be sure to insist on your marrying again, I think he is tired of having you in his house.”

“He is not tired of me, it is Aasmaa. She has been jealous of me ever since I moved in with them – and now that you are there too, she has gotten even worse. I do not know how my brother stands her, she nags him constantly.”

“Maybe she is good in bed,” Hira said, blushing.

“I never hear them moaning,” Saleena said with a wide grin. “Must not be too good.”

Hira thought back to her lovemaking with Howie, it seemed like ages ago. She had wanted to scream out with the pleasure of it. She wished she could experience that again, but she knew it was not to be. Never again would she feel the pleasure that a man could give her.

*************************

“Hira, would you mind running to Miskeen’s house to pick up a package for me?” Naseem asked. Hira wasn’t surprised; he’d sent her to his brother’s house on numerous occasions. Saleena was the baby of the family; Miskeen was the oldest of her three brothers. It’s not like she had anything else to do, once she’d cleaned the house, gone to the market, cooked dinner and seen to the laundry. She’d been there for six weeks now. She was bored but not complaining, she had a roof over her head and the work wasn’t as hard as what she’d been doing at home for her stepmother.

She set off down the street, and then made several turns until she came to the correct house. She’d been there before, although usually not by herself.

“Ah, come in, Hira. I have the package around here somewhere. Now where did I put it?” It took a minute for Hira’s eyes to adapt from the bright sun to the gloomy house. She could hear Miskeen rummaging around in the next room, and then there was a huge crash.

“Are you alright?” she called, he responded with a cry for help. She rushed in, only to feel hands grab her and shove her against the wall. She didn’t know the man who held her.

“Let me go! Miskeen, help me!”

“So, you gave your virginity to a foreigner who then left you behind,” the man chuckled. “Did he promise to take you with him? That was very naïve, Hira.”

“It wasn’t like that at all,” she whispered.

“Naseem laughed as he told us about you, did he not, Tamir?” Hira’s eyes widened as she realized the man was Saleena’s other brother, the one who lived in Baghdad. Tamir nodded his face only inches away from hers. “He wants you for himself but Aasmaa would castrate him if she caught him.”

“No self respecting Muslim would have you for a wife now,” Tamir said. “Looks like prostitution is your only choice.” He laughed at the fear in her eyes.

“She thinks she is too good to give the poor men of this town some comfort,” Miskeen said. “Let’s see what you are hiding from all of us.”

“No, please, let me go!” Hira struggled to get away but the man was too strong.

Miskeen tore away her veil and then laughed out loud. “She is too good for us,” he said. “With beauty like that, we can take her to Baghdad and make a fortune! How much do you think Naseem wants for her, Tamir?”

“Whatever it is, it will be worth it. She will be popular, she is quite spirited.” Tamir blocked a knee aimed for his groin. “I say we sample her, Miskeen. That way we will know what to charge our clients.” He captured her lips and thrust his tongue into her mouth. Hira thought she would gag from the stench of his breath. With his free hand, he groped for her breast, squeezing it until Hira cried out in pain.

“Take her into the bedroom,” Miskeen said. Just as Tamir dragged her into the living room there was a knock on the door.

“Miskeen? It is Saleena; I am looking for Hira…”

“Say a word to anyone and you will end up dead, do you understand?” Tamir hissed in her ear. Hira nodded. “We will be coming for you soon – and do not try to run away, we will find you no matter where you go.”

Hira staggered towards the door, hastily pinning her veil back in place. “I am here, Saleena,” she called. “Miskeen is looking for the package now.” She yanked open the door, careful not to look her friend in the eyes.

Miskeen came up behind her and handed Saleena a small box. “Here it is. I am always misplacing everything! See you later!” He closed the door behind them, turning to his friend.

“Do not worry, Tamir, we will get her yet. That is one prize that I am not going to let get away from us.”

As Hira walked back to Naseem’s house, she mentally counted her small stash of money. She knew her days in Farhan were numbered, it wouldn’t be long before Tamir and Miskeen convinced Naseem to sell her to them. She needed an escape plan, one clever enough to outfox the two men who planned on prostituting her in Baghdad. But she needed more money - she hoped time wouldn’t run out on her before it was too late.

*************************

“Come on, Hira, come to the market with me. And do not pin up your hijab, ok?”

“I do not know, Saleena – I am scared. What if they are still looking for me?”

“It has been two months now.” Whenever Hira went to the market, she covered her face and Saleena thought it high time she removed the veil. “And why would they be looking for you way out here?” Saleena's town was far to the south of Baghdad and was not on a main road.

Hira sighed. “I do not know, I guess I am being paranoid.” Saleena didn’t know what had happened at Miskeen’s house, she had kept the incident a secret. Hira’s stash of money wasn’t yet enough to get her away safely, she needed just a bit more. Going out in public without the veil seemed too risky for Hira, afraid that someone else would get the same idea as Miskeen and Tamir.

Saleena pinned the silk hijab on her friend, leaving her face showing. “There, you look gorgeous!”

“No, not yet – I am not ready,” she protested.

“Yes, you are ready. No one is going to stone you for showing your face, Hira. The old ways are nearly gone here; we are more Western since the Americans freed us from the Taliban.”

“Alright, but I can put it back up if I want to.” Hira planned on repining it as soon as her friend wasn’t looking.

“Of course.”

The two women walked the short distance to the market, Saleena’s brother and his wife followed behind them. It felt good to Hira to be outside; she loved the feel of the sun and the breeze on her face. As they entered the crowded market, Hira felt people staring at her. It was only natural as they had not seen her face before. She ignored their stares and whispers. Hira soon lost herself to the pleasure of wandering through the shops, looking at the merchandise.

“Having fun?” Saleena asked, Hira nodded. She still felt a little apprehensive, although the admiring glances from the men made her heart pound with excitement. It made her sad at the same time, as she knew that she was destined to a life alone. “See anything that you want to buy?”

“No, I am saving my money.” Hira knew she couldn’t spend anything; she needed every bit of it in order to escape. Tomorrow Naseem would grudgingly give her a small allowance, only enough to buy the necessities a woman needed. She would then leave town, but she still wasn’t sure where she would go.

“I wish you had told me you were going to Baghdad to look for a place to live,” Saleena said with a pout. “I heard Naseem tell Aasmaa that you were going there tomorrow.”

Hira bit her lip hard to keep from crying out. “I think it is time I moved on, got on with my life,” she said as casually as she could. “You have been such a dear friend to put up with me for so long, I thank you for that.”

“What are friends for?” Saleena said, looking over some bolts of fine silk. “Oh look, there is that man again – he has been hanging out at the market for the last two weeks.”

“What man?” Hira asked, picking up a length of silk. Her mind was racing, trying to figure out how she was going to elude Miskeen.

“I told you about him last week - a foreign man and his two bodyguards. One is huge, the other is kind of cute, but too old for us!” She nudged Hira and pointed discretely. “I hear he is American. Very handsome, if you like foreigners,” she added with a laugh.

Hira looked in the direction Saleena pointed, her body suddenly felt on fire and freezing cold at the same time. She could only see him in profile, but she would know that face anywhere, it had haunted her dreams for months. “Howie...” she whispered.

As if the man heard her, he turned and they locked eyes from across the marketplace. “Hira? Hira!” he shouted, she could barely hear him above the din of the crowd.

Hira grabbed Saleena's arm to keep from falling. “Are you ok? You are trembling...” She turned to see what Hira was staring at, she saw the foreign man fighting his way across the market, coming right for them. She pulled Hira out of the vendor's stall and hustled her down the street towards their house.

“What is wrong?” her brother asked, catching up to them.

“There is a man after Hira, a foreign man – he has frightened her.”

“I will take care of him,” he offered. “He will not bother you, Hira.”

“Wait,” Hira shouted, stopping him. “I...I want to see him. It is the man I helped escape back to America...”

“Bring him to the house,” Saleena ordered. “We do not want her seen with him in public.” Saleena's brother rushed off to intercept Howie, who was just now shoving his way out of the crowded market.

Hira was shaking so hard she could barely walk. She wondered what she would say to him, and what he would say to her. Had he been looking for her? What else would explain why he had been hanging around in this town, he should've been back in America and getting on with his life.

Saleena rushed Hira into the house, her mind swirling with the implications of this meeting. Had the handsome American come looking for her friend, ready to steal her away? Or just come to satisfy some morbid curiosity? Saleena had been shocked when Hira confided in her that she had slept with the man, given him her precious virginity. But Saleena also was aware of the stigma already attached to her friend and how she would never be marriage material because of her father's actions.

The door opened and Howie was shown inside, Marcus and Randall right behind him. It took a minute for his eyes to adjust to the dim light in the room. Hira turned to face him, holding her breath, not knowing what his reaction would be.

Howie walked slowly towards her, his eyes focused on her face. “Hira...” he said softly, joy and relief filling his face, love lighting his eyes.

It was all Hira needed to see; she threw herself into his arms. He held her close, tears pouring down both of their faces.

“Oh my god, I thought you were dead,” he whispered. “I've been looking everywhere for you!”

“I thought you had forgotten me,” she whispered back.

“Never,” he said fiercely, and then captured her mouth in a demanding kiss.

Saleena stood there with her mouth open at the sight of her friend in the stranger's embrace. Public displays of affection were not the norm in their society, even one as progressive as Saleena's. She cleared her throat and Hira suddenly jumped out of Howie's arms. She reached up and wiped the tears from her face, trying desperately to pull herself together.

“Howie, I would like you to meet Naseem, and his sister, Saleena, who is my best friend.” She didn't introduce him to Naseem's wife; it would be his place to introduce her if he wished to.

“It is a pleasure to meet you,” Howie said to Naseem first. His month in the country had taught him some of the manners expected of him. Only after he had greeted the man did he turn to Hira's friend. He bowed his head to her but didn't touch her or let his gaze linger on her for too long. Randall had drilled into him the expected behavior of guests. Saleena was attractive but not the beauty that Hira was.

“What is your intention with Hira?” Naseem asked, his voice gruff.

“Let us get to that in a moment,” Saleena interrupted. “I think we should offer our guest some refreshments first.”

Naseem agreed and the three women went into the kitchen to prepare food and tea for their guest. The two men sat there, each uncomfortable, not knowing what to say to each other. Marcus stood by the door, ready to assist his friend if Naseem moved to harm Howie. Randall leaned against the wall, a smile on his face, watching the scene unfold before him.

“Have you been in Iraq long?” Naseem finally asked.

“Two months as a prisoner,” Howie said softly. “I’ve been here nearly a month looking for Hira.”

“You came back to find her? For what reason?” Naseem asked, not wanting to wait until the women came back, he considered this business between men.

“She has been granted asylum into the United States. I came to tell her and take her back, if she wants to leave,” he added.

“And what about when she gets there? Who will take care of her?”

“I will, if she'll let me,” he said, looking Naseem in the face. “I care for her deeply.”

“Enough to marry her?” he asked. “Or just as a mistress, your plaything?”

“I don't know what her feelings are towards me, but I would consider marriage if that is what she wants as well.” Howie’s voice was soft, but full of emotion.

“How do I know you are not lying?” Naseem was suspicious, he had heard plenty of bad things about Americans and he was determined to protect Hira, especially since he intended on selling her the next morning for a nice amount of cash.

“I nearly died while I was a prisoner, and I run that risk again just by being here. Does that not say something about me?”

“Yes, you are crazy,” Naseem laughed.

Howie pulled off his watch and handed it to Naseem. The yellow gold Rolex, with a diamond bezel and inset diamonds on the face, was worth more than Naseem would make in his lifetime. He’d won the $50,000 watch at a movie premiere. It wasn’t one he ever wore, it was far too gaudy, but he thought it might be handy in this place where money usually talked louder than words.

“To show you I’m sincere, I will give you this watch.”

“Truly? You would give this to me?” It was an unprecedented gift, one of extreme value. No man of his standing had anything even close to it. He wasn’t sure of its actual value, but he figured it was worth at least 50 times over what his brothers had offered him for Hira. He’d be a fool to turn it down.

“I offer this watch as a token of my respect for her and my gratitude for taking her into your family and keeping her safe.”

“I am honored to accept this, my friend. It does indeed show much respect for Hira.” He held the watch up and watched the diamonds sparkle. “I believe your intentions are honorable and I would be happy to see her go to America with you.” And he was happy to finally have her out of his house; his wife had been demanding that she leave. He held out his hand and Howie shook it firmly, sealing the deal.

When the women reentered the room, the two men were talking like old friends. Hira set down a tray of fruit and nuts, and poured first Howie and then Naseem a cup of tea. Aasmaa asked Saleena to go with her into the other room, but Saleena refused - she wanted to be in on the excitement.

Hira sat with her head down, wanting to stare at Howie, trying to convince herself he was really there in the room with her. It was considered bad manners to look at male guests for long, to acknowledge them any more than just serving them food, unless they spoke to you first.

“So Hira, I understand that you want to go to America?” Naseem asked softly. Hira looked up at him, her eyes glowing. She still couldn't bring herself to even peek at Howie's face.

“Oh yes,” she cried, then tried to calm herself down, to remember her manners. “If you will permit me, Naseem.” As the only male in her life, he had control of her destiny, although Hira knew she would do whatever she pleased anyway.

“Howard has paid a rather large meher for you, Hira, although I doubt you are worth it,” Naseem joked, showing off the watch now on his wrist. The women’s eyes widened, the gift would certainly elevate Naseem in the eyes of the townspeople. “You will marry him when you arrive in America.”

Hira’s heart began to pound, she was to marry after all – and she would be going to America! “I can go back with you, Howie? You want me to be with you?”

“Yes, Hira, I do. They granted you asylum the night before you disappeared from the hospital. When they came to tell you, they discovered you were gone.”

“They know I did not go willingly?”

“Yes, they knew, but finding you wasn’t a priority, and they wouldn't tell me what was going on. It took me a month of making phone calls before anyone would tell me that you had been kidnapped.” He got up and sat down next to her, taking her hands in his. “I came to Iraq as soon as I found out. I've been here nearly a month, looking for you.”

Hira blushed and looked down. “How did you find me?”

“I came here first, but we didn't see you and no one knew anything about you. Then we went back to Mandali and found Sabir.”

“Oh Howie! That must have been frightening for you.”

He admitted that it hadn't been easy. “I went in disguise, I couldn't risk being recognized. Randall did all the talking, he speaks Arabic. Sabir said that you had escaped from them after you were kidnapped, that they hadn't been able to find you and had given up looking.” He squeezed her hands, she finally looked up at him - he was overjoyed to see her face light up at his news. “Most of the men were killed during the raids to recover my friends, including Abu Hasal. Rahmat tried to take over the group after that but no one wanted him to be leader as he was more interested in finding you than in doing anything else.”

“So what happened to him? Was he with Sabir?”

Howie shook his head. “He went to your village to look for you and mysteriously ended up dead, his body dumped in a ditch. His father demanded an investigation but nothing was ever found - no one knew what happened to him.”

Hira had a good idea of what had happened to him - her brothers still lived in the village and any one of them was capable of disposing of filth like Rahmat. They had not been happy when her father had sold her but they had been unable do anything without incurring their father's raging temper.

“It was what he deserved,” Hira said softly. “And what about Sabir?”

“He lives alone in a tiny hut in the hills, a small herd of goats for company - ragged and half starved.”

The thought didn’t bother her; it was what he deserved as well. “So then you came back here?”

Howie nodded. “Today was my last day here; I had almost given up hope of finding you. We’ve been in the market for two weeks straight, talking to the vendors, and no one recognized you or admitted to knowing you.”

“I have not gone out much,” she admitted. “I was scared they would find me.”

“You don't have to worry about that ever again,” he said softly. “In America, you won't have to worry about a thing.” Hira smiled at him and Howie felt his heart shatter into a million pieces.

Hira breathed a sigh of relief; she’d been snatched away from Miskeen in the nick of time. She thanked Allah for sending Howie back into her life.