- Text Size +
Chapter 18

I woke up to the sound of my alarm clock blaring in my ears, I rolled over shut the alarm off and just laid there for a few minutes and then smiled.
Today was my last day working as a nurse, and tomorrow I will be having a cook out with just the Backstreet Boys and their girlfriends before we head off on tour on Monday.
Four minutes later my alarm went off again this time when I rolled over to shut the alarm completely off.
Getting up I headed down to the kitchen poured myself a cup of coffee, and fixed myself a bowl of cereal to eat. Once I had my coffee and cereal I headed out to my back patio and sat down at the table and while I ate my breakfast I also watched the sun rise.
“ Hello?” I said as I answer my cell phone.
“ Morning baby, how are you doing?” Nick said as poured himself a cup of coffee.
“ Morning Nick, I’m doing great and what are you doing and how are you doing too.” I said as I looked out to see a pod of dolphins come up to the surface to get air.
“ I’m doing great too, and I’m hungry and I have a meeting to go to and we are going to have rehearsal too, so that means a very long day before the night’s over with.” Nick said as he looked into his cabinet and found a bowl and poured the cereal into that was sitting on the counter next to the last bit of milk.
“ Oh I see, and I really can’t wait to see you guys perform, so are we still on for dinner tonight.” I said as I ate some of the cereal.
“ Yeah dinner is still on, because we will be done before dinner time.” Nick said as he went over to the table and sat down.
“ Ok that sounds great do you want me to pick up anything else besides what we have already for dinner.” I said as finished up my cereal and I just sat there and watched the sun rise more into the sky and watched a few more dolphins just before I saw a Ray surface and fly above the water feeding on the surface of the water.
“ You don’t need to get anything because we have everything we need for tonight and even tomorrow. Well I better get going if I want to get on that meeting on time, see you tonight and I love you.” Nick said before we hung up.
“ Ok then I’ll see you later, and love you too.” I said before hanging up my phone.
I got up and went into the kitchen and then headed off to my room and started getting ready for work. It’s very strange working the dayshift now, I started working it just before I had left on my two week vacation, and the more I thought about it I really like it better than the night shift, can you say not very busy.
I got into my car and headed off to work and thank goodness there wasn’t any traffic at this time of the morning.
“ Good morning Gillian.” Martha said as I came into the lounge.
“ Morning Martha and how are you doing this early in the morning.” I said as I took off my street shoes and put on my hospital shoes.
“ I’m doing very good, you know you are going to be missed around here, are you sure that you wont change your mind about leaving us.” Martha said as she gave me a pout.
“ Thanks and no I wont change my mind sorry, I have plans and I’m going to be traveling around too so I can’t wait to do that too.” I said grabbing my coat out of the locker and made sure that I had my pens and a small note pad before heading out the door.
“ Wow that sounds like you are going to have some fun, well it’s time we get to work.” Martha said as she finished putting her shoes and we headed out of the room.
I went over to the nurse who took my place on the night shift and we started going over what was going on with the patients and I saw that it was almost time for the medications for the patients.
I said bye to the night nurse and then called the pharmacy to order my meds for the patients that I needed for this morning.
“ Morning Christine how are you doing this morning.” I asked as Christine came over to the chair that was empty next to me.
“ Morning Gillian, man today is your last day, I’m going to miss you.” Christine said as she came over to me and gave me a hug.
“ I’m going to miss you too, morning Rachel.” I said as Rachel came off the elevator and headed over to our way.
“ Oh morning Gillian.” She said in total surprise as she saw me sitting there.
“ Let me guess you got me a cake?” I asked as I saw that she was carrying a cake.
“ Yeah I got you a cake.” She said as she sat it down on the counter in front of me and I saw the cake.
“ Thank you guys and I’m going to miss you too.” I said as tears began to show up in my eyes.
“ You are going to be missed around here.” Rachel said as she picked up the cake and headed for the nurse’s lounge.
Well I got all my meds that I need then I headed off to my patients’ room and they even said bye to me and told that they will miss me.
It was at lunch time when Martha called me to the lounge and there I got a very huge surprise, because all the nurses and a couple of doctors was there and some of them where from different departments. And they are: Karen from pediatrics, Sabrina from the ER and her boyfriend David who is a surgical tech. Then there was Claudia who is working the night shift here in the ICU, Kasy, who I met when Nick was in a coma, she works with long term coma care, and then Jennette, who works in Physical Therapy and she will be at my cookout tomorrow with her boyfriend Kevin Richardson. Then there is Pam who worked on the regular floor that Nick was on when he left the ICU, she was his nurse. Then we had another nurse from Maternity ward, Leia she also lives in my neighborhood.
Then another night nurse Rachel, who works here in the ICU. And then another Backstreet Girl, Lindsey, who works in the Pediatrics and Maternity ward and she is dating AJ.
They all came up here to have going away party for me and all them was saying that they were going to miss because we have become friends.
Four hours later I was able to go home and get ready for dinner with Nick who showed up just as I finished pulling the roasted chicken out of the oven.
We sat down and had a very quiet dinner just the two of us, then we cuddled up on the bed and watched a movie before falling asleep in each other arms.
The next day Kevin, Jennette, AJ, Lindsey, Howie, Leigh, Brian and Leighanne all showed up for a cook out and then I learned form Jennette and Lindsey that they too are quitting their jobs so that way they can spend more time with their boyfriends.
After everyone left after the cookout Nick and I found a movie and put into the DVD player and started the movie, but only to fall asleep in the middle of the movie in each other arms.