- Text Size +
Chapter 8

“ Yes mom I will be there for dinner tonight, around six ok I’ll be there, ok love you too.” Nick said as he said bye to his mom.
Nick drove through the busy streets of Tampa as he was driving home from the recording studio, is where he was most of the day, and everyday since he left the hospital two months ago. He turn the corner of the road that will lead him down to Apollo Beach, but it was on the corner there was a shop that caught his attention.
‘ A thing of flowers would be good to give to Gill’ Nick thought as he saw the flower shop.
He found a parking space and got out of the car and made his way to the flower shop.
“ Good afternoon and how can I help you?” the store clerk asked as Nick walked into the room.
“ Um… yes please, um I would like some kind of flowers or plant to say thank you.” Nick said as he came up to the counter.
“ Ok, well lets see we can make a bouquet of flowers or a flowery plant that she can have all year long.” The lady said as she began pulling out a notebook.
“ Um… you know what a plant that flowers would be great.” Nick said as he began looking around and hoping to see something that he liked.
“ Ok, well lets see we have these or we can make a special one for you of you like.” The lady said as she opened up the notebook so she could show Nick the different kinds of arrangements that they had already made up and the prices.
“ I think I would like to have it made special please.” He said as the lady just nodded, and she showed him the prices of the sizes of the pots.
“ Um… I think a small pot would work please, so all I do now is pick out what I want in the plant?” Nick asked as began to look around the shop.
“ Yes sir just tell me what you would like and I will get it and put it into the pot of your choice.” The lady said as she came around the counter and she lead Nick over to where the pots were located.
Nick walked around the store until saw Native American style pot that was teal color along with the tan of the pot.
“ I would like that pot right there please.” Nick said as he pointed out the pot to the lady.
She grabbed the pot that Nick wanted and then headed over to a small table and put the pot down on it.
Then they walked around the shop and Nick picked out the plants that he wanted in the pot, once they had the plants they went back to the table were they sat down and Nick watched the lady put together the special plant.
“ Ok here you go, and would you like to have card, and if so what would you like written on it.” The lady asked as she put a small plastic stick into the pot as to place the card.
“ Yeah that would be good, um… To Gill.. Thank you so very much for everything you have done for me while I was there in the hospital and thank you for coming to see him when you had time off; it really meant everything to me. Love Nick.” Nick said as he was trying to but his thoughts into words.
“ Ok here you go, and thank you so much for shopping with us, and I hope that your friend enjoys the plant.” The lady said as she handed Nick the potted plant and Nick left the shop.
Twenty minutes later Nick was pulling into the parking lot at the hospital and finding a parking space to park. Getting out of the car he made his way across the parking lot and into the building.
Nick stepped off the elevator on the floor that the ICU was on.
“ Nick it’s so good to see you up and about and I hope that everything is good for you?” Christine asked as he came up to the nurse’s station.
“ Hey Christine, I take you are on call tonight, um is Gillian here?” he asked as he looked around and saw that it was just Christine.
“ Yeah she is here, she is in the on call room. Um… she is upset. Are those for her?” Christine asked as she saw the plant.
“ Oh man, is she going to be ok? Yeah I wanted to get her something.” He said as someone called for Christine to come to their room.
“ That’s sweet, after tonight I know that will cheer her up.” Christine said as she got up and went to the person’s room.
Nick went to the small room that the doctors and nurses use on the night shift to catch a little sleep.
“ Come in.” I said as I heard a small tap on the door and I tried to dry my eyes before the person came into the room.
“ Hey Gill.” Nick said as he walked into the room.
“ Um… Nick what are you doing here?” I asked as I looked up and saw him coming into the room.
“ I stopped by to give you this, Gill what’s wrong.” Nick said as he came up to me and put the plant down on the end table, sat down on couch beside me as I began to cry again.
“ I held the hand of a four year old boy as he died, now someone will have to tell his brother and sister, who are also here too, because they were shot in a drive by, that their baby brother is dead.” I said as Nick pulled me into his arms and held me as I cried.
Twenty minutes later we walked out of the room and we headed to a McDonalds and I got something to eat while Nick just got something to drink.
He then dropped me off before heading off to his parents’ house for dinner.