- Text Size +
Chapter 9

“ Hey Gillian and Nick Peter is in the room but Charlotte had to go and get some tests done.” Lindsey said as we came up to the nurse’s station.
“ Oh why is Charlotte going for tests?” I asked as I saw and nurse’s aide come out of one of the rooms, and her eyes bugged out when she saw Nick standing there by the nurses station.
“ She had been complaining about her stomach hurting her, and she has been running a fever too.” Lindsey said as grabbed a few charts and handed them to the aide so that way she could add the vitals that she had just taken.
“ You think that something was missed?” I asked as a couple came on to the floor, and I saw them stop and look which way the rooms where located at.
“ It sounds like it, you guys can go and see Peter, I’m sure he would love to have some visitors his parents are at the viewing today of their other son, so they won’t be here until it’s all over.” Lindsey said as she looked at the note that was left for the nurses to let them know about Peter and Charlotte’s parents and when they will be there to stay with them.
“ Oh I see I get off in an hour so I think I’ll go and see them.” I said knowing which funeral home the viewing was going to be at.
“ I think they would like that.” Lindsey said as she saw one of the doctors come on the floor to do his rounds.
We both nodded and then turned away from station as the doctor sat down at the desk and began reading some of the charts that he had picked up.
We walked down the hallway to the last room on the left hand side, and when we got the room we tapped on the door before walking into the room.
“ Hey Peter how are you doing?” I said as I came into the room.
“ Hey Gillian, I’m doing ok, you know my sister isn’t here.” Peter said as he turned away from the cartoon that he was watching.
“ Yeah I know that Charlotte isn’t here we have already talked to your nurse.” I said as went over to him and gave him a small hug.
“ Yeah she isn’t feeling to good, Um… is that Nick Carter of the Backstreet Boys.” Peter said as he saw Nick standing behind me.
“ Hey Peter I’m Nick, I wanted to stop by and see how you and your sister were doing, and I’m sorry to hear about your baby brother.” Nick said as came over and shook Peter’s hand.
“ Thanks mommy and daddy are with him at the moment, but they will be here later, I just wish he didn’t have to die.” Peter said as tears came into his eyes.
“ I know sweetie but you can say he is with God and he is no longer in pain of any kind.” I said sitting on the edge of the bed and holding him as he began to cry.
We only stayed with him for about twenty minutes because I had to get back to work and Nick had to do something with his mom. But I did promise to come back tomorrow to see him and I hoped to see Charlotte too.
I went back downstairs to ICU and worked for a couple of hours before it was time for me to go home.
“ Well Christine I’ll see you in a few days.” I said as I grabbed my bag and went around the station before heading for the elevators.
“ Ok you have a great days off and see you later then.” She said as she grabbed her charts and was about to start her rounds.
I nodded and I began heading over to the elevator and then I pushed the button and waited for the lift to come down so that way I could leave the hospital.
I got into the car and headed over to the funeral home so that way I could see the Peter and Charlotte’s parents and let them know that I was thinking of them.
After leaving there I headed back to the hospital so that way I could see Peter and hopefully Charlotte.
“ Hey Karen.” I said coming over to the station.
“ Gillian, how are you doing today?” she asked as she pulling a couple of her charts so that way she could began her rounds.
“ I’m doing pretty good, I’m here to see Peter and Charlotte.” I said as I began walking with her as she headed down the hallway to start her rounds.
“ Oh ok, I hear their parents are at youngest viewing, you know it’s really a shame in what happen to him.” Karen said as she stopped by the first room on her round.
“ Yeah it was rough for them, I just saw them and I told them that I would stay here with Peter and Charlotte until they got here.” I said as Karen tapped on the door and opened it before walking into the room.
I continue to head down the hallway until I came to the Peter and Charlotte’s room.
“ Hello?” I said as came into the room.
“ Hey Gillian, you came back.” Peter said as he was trying to finish up his dinner.
“ I told you that would be here, I saw your mom and dad, and they will be here in a couple of hours, but for now I will be here with you guys ok.” I said as I sat down in the chair that was between the beds.
“ Ok that’s cool, you want to play a game?” Peter asked as he looked over to Charlotte and saw that she dozed back to sleep.
“ Sure I take it that she came back from her tests not to long ago.” I said as watched the young girl going back to sleep.
“ Yeah, and they are going to have to do some more surgery but they are going to do it tomorrow.” Peter said as he watched his sister and began to get really worry about her.
“ Oh I see, I hope that she gets better. So what game do you want to play?” I asked as turned my full attention on him.
“ Um… Mario Cart.” Was all he said as he started up the game.
“ Ok Mario Cart it is.” I said as picked up the other controller and we started playing the game.
Two hours later he got a little tired and started to fall asleep after the nurse came in with his pain medicine, just as he began to drift off to sleep his mom and dad came into the room.
We talked for a couple of minutes and I told them that Charlotte was going to have to go into surgery tomorrow, and they said that they would be here when they took her into surgery, but if lasts a longer than an hour then they would have to leave and be at the funeral.
I said goodnight and head home so that way I could get some sleep and get ready for my very long weekend.