- Text Size +
AJ invited his mother to her favorite restaurant for a late dinner a few days after his brief breakfast with Nick. He wanted her opinion on a few things and needed the honest advice that only she could give him.

“Hey Ma.” AJ said as he slid down in the booth across from her.

“Hello my darling son.” she replied. “What’s up with the invitation tonight?”

“Can’t I take my mother out for dinner and spend some quality bonding time with her?”

Denise laughed. “You definitely can but I think you’re interested in a little more than mother son bonding time. Don’t forget, I raised you and I know you like the back of my hand; I can always tell when something’s up.”

He chuckled. “You know me too well sometimes.”

“Yes I do, so what gives?”

“I need some motherly advice.”

“I guess you asked the right person then.”

They placed their orders with the waitress and then AJ launched into his story. He told Denise all he knew about Max, what Marjorie had shared with him and his conversation with Nick. She nodded and asked several questions during his explanation; dinner arrived as he was finishing and his mother was grateful for getting a few minutes to think.

“I know it’s a lot to absorb Ma, but I really need your opinion on it.”

“I know and I just want you to understand what I’m saying to you. I think you and Nick are both right.”

“How can we both be right?”

“You’re right about Max not being a stray. She seemed like a fairly nice person the one time I met her and none of us know what her personal issues are. Calling her a stray is very degrading and I’m disappointed that Nick chose to voice his opinion like that.”

“That’s what I said!” AJ said excitedly. “I knew you would…”

Denise held up her hand. “I’m not done yet.”

AJ sat back quietly and waited for his mother to finish.

“As much as I don’t like how Nick said it, I do agree with some of what he said.”

“What?”

“Honey, I raised you and more than anyone, I know how you feel about people, especially women in need. You want to be that knight in shining armor and you want to sweep in to save them.”

“What’s wrong with wanting to help people?”

“Absolutely nothing sweetheart. It’s a noble thing and I’m proud of you for it.”

“Than what’s the problem?”

“You hardly know this woman…”

“But I’m trying.”

“I know but maybe she’s not interested in being saved. You have no idea why she’s choosing to live the way she is and you know nothing about her past and how she wound up here.”

“What if I find out?”

“Then we can have this conversation again.”

Denise noticed how discouraged her son looked and she knew that he was feeling ganged up on. He was going to do whatever he wanted and she wanted to make sure he felt like he could talk to her.

“I know I’m not being as supportive as you would like me to be but I’m concerned. If you knew more about her, I’d feel a lot better about you trying to step in and help.”

“I’m going to get to know her.”

Denise sighed. “I get that but I’m asking you to be wary. Don’t walk into the situation with blinders on. Be careful and take this whole thing slowly.”

AJ nodded and they finished dinner in silence. He knew his mother was concerned for him and he appreciated it. However, everyone seemed to think they knew what was best for him and they added their opinions all the time. Why did they think he was completely incapable of making good decisions?

“Thank you for dinner.” Denise said as she stood up.

“You’re welcome anytime.” AJ said with a sad smile and gave his mother a hug. “I’ll call you again soon.”

“Ok. I love you sweetie.”

“Love you too Ma.”

---------------

“Goddamn it!” Max swore as she pounded her fist on the hood of her car.

She had been working until close that night and had just finished setting up for the next morning. After locking the door, she headed to her car and looked forward to going back to her apartment. Unfortunately, her car didn’t feel like cooperating and refused to turn over when she had started it. She knew the clicking sound meant that her alternator was the culprit and there was no way that it would get fixed tonight.

Tears were forming in her eyes as she tried to figure out how she would get home. It was pitch black with almost no moonlight to show her the way; the walk would be long and she was at the mercy of whatever she ran into. She wiped the tears off her cheeks and reached inside the car to grab her purse.

As she was turning around, a car pulled into the lot in front of her. The occupant turned off the car and stepped out.

“Can I help?”

As she watched through her tears, the stranger advanced into the parking lot lamp; her heart sank when she saw who it was.