- Text Size +
Dark Times In Still Waters
Chapter 45
By Dottie
Copyright 2014

Epilogue

Teagan is staring out the window of their hotel room, watching the sun set on another beautiful day in Florida. Her days with Kevin have been beautiful. Oh, there have been rough patches, but they made it through them.

She’s spent the better part of the last ten months with Kevin, on tour, at his home or hers. Yes, they had fights. And they made up. It’s what couples do. At the beginning of October, when the group was revving up for the cruise, Teagan went home alone. To see Penny.

Three weeks earlier:

Once she’s seated, Penny leans back in her chair and crosses her legs. “Well, you certainly look happy. How have you been?”

Teagan’s smile fades slowly. “I’m ok.”

Penny eyes her critically. “What’s wrong?”

Teagan just shrugs. “I…I guess you know the cruise is coming up.”

Penny nods. “Yes, I know. Kevin invited Derrick and me to go.”

Smiling, Teagan says, “He told me. Will you go?”

Penny shakes her head sadly. “No, I can’t. Derrick can’t get the time off and the kids are in school.” When Teagan just nods thoughtfully, Penny says, “What’s wrong Teagan?”

Sighing, Teagan closes her eyes. “I don’t want to go on the cruise.”

Penny gasps. “Why? I thought things were good.”

Shrugging, Teagan stands and walks to the book case, staring blankly at random book spines. “Things were good. Until Kevin tweeted about the cruise and told the fans I’d be there.”

Penny sighs inwardly. “Teagan, how are things with the fans?”

Shrugging, Teagan stammers, “Not too bad now.”

Penny hears the hurt in her patient’s voice. “What happened?”

Looking up with tears shining in her eyes, Teagan says, “The same thing that happened last year. The fans wanting to know if the freak is going to keep Kevin from meeting them and spending time with them. I just…I wish he hadn’t told them I’d be there. It would be so much easier for him if I didn’t go.”

Penny jumps up and moves around the desk. “Teagan, after all this time, you’re STILL going to let them get to you? It’s petty nonsense. Ignore it. You know you aren’t a freak. Kevin knows it. I’d lay odds that MOST of Kevin’s fans are looking forward to meeting YOU as much as meeting him. Don’t let a few bitter women ruin your fun.”

Sighing, Teagan nods. “I know what you’re saying is true Penny. I do. Kevin tells me the same thing. But…it still hurts. It hurts a lot. Will it ever stop hurting?”

Penny takes her hand. “It will Teagan. You just have to let it go.” When Teagan looks away, Penny clears her throat. “Teagan…I wasn’t going to say anything until after the cruise. I don’t want to get your hopes up but I see now I have to tell you.”

Teagan looks at her puzzled. “Tell me what?”

Penny sighs. “Remember how Kevin gave me permission to talk to you about everything he and I discuss?”

Teagan nods slowly. “I didn’t realize Kevin had been back.”

Penny smiles. “He hasn’t. He called me. He’s been working on something for you.”

Teagan is confused. “For me? What?”

Penny reaches for her hand. “He…he’s found a doctor that thinks he can minimize your scars considerably.” When Teagan’s mouth drops open, Penny says, “I told him not to tell you Teagan.”

Her brow furrows and she mutters, “But why?”

Penny shakes her head. “Teagan, you need to accept yourself just as you are. Kevin loves you for YOU. He was afraid if he told you about it you’d think he was ashamed of you. He’s not. He just knows how much that scar bothers you and he wants to take it away.”

Teagan looks at her lap. “I’m so selfish Penny.”

Leaning closer, Penny says, “No, you are not selfish Teagan. You’re human. But you have to realize having those scars removed isn’t a guarantee that anything will change with the fans. They could find another reason to put you down.”

Teagan’s gaze snaps to Penny. Suddenly it all falls into place. Everything they’ve been trying to tell her for a year. Her vision blurs and she whispers, “Penny…oh Penny you’re right! Even if the scars are gone…nothing will change.”

Penny smiles. “Now you get it. So the big decision is do you have the surgery…or just let it go?”


The door to the hotel room opens and Kevin comes in. “You ready for dinner…” The words die in his throat as he catches sight of Teagan. He glances around the room seeing candles are burning on the table in the corner, illuminating the two covered domes awaiting them. The bed is turned down with red rose petals scattered across the snow white sheets.

Turning to his love, he sees she’s wearing a short, purple negligee with a see through robe. Her eyes are filled with love and she smiles softly. “I’m ready for dinner. Are you?”

He walks slowly over to her, reaching out to run his hand up her arm. “What’s all this?”

She smiles. “I wanted to surprise you.”

He leans down and kisses her softly. “I’m surprised all right. You look…so beautiful.”

She takes his hand and pulls him to the table. Once they are seated, she says, “Kevin, before we eat, there’s something I want to tell you.”

He reaches for her hand. “You changed your mind about the surgery?”

She shakes her head. “No, I haven’t. I don’t want or need the surgery. It took over a year, but I finally realized what you were trying to tell me all along. Taking away the scar won’t change what happened. I’ll still be me.”

He smiles. “And I’ll still love you.”

She stands and moves to sit on his lap. “And I’ll always love you.”

As he wraps his arms around her waist, he asks, “So what did you want to tell me?”

She slides her fingers over the back of his neck and says, “We’re going to have a baby.”
Chapter End Notes:
Before you all ask...yes, there is a sequel in the works. I'm hoping it doesn't take me until next year's cruise to post it. I really hope you've enjoyed this. I look forward to sharing more of Kevin's and Teagan's love story with you soon! Let me know if you want it!! :) ~ D