- Text Size +
So the story basically starts with me coming to NYC 3 days before school started. I was nervous and excited to meet new people and in a new city. The orientation was fun and I made so many friends. I got let’s see....David, he is the cute nerd. I think he likes me but is too shy to say it. Then there is Mad Dawg, he is my unofficial bodyguard because I take him with me to like nightclubs and stuff. We all call him “Boss” because he is so big. There is also Jessie, the idiot. He is the clown of our group and comes up with the most ridiculous ideas ever. He wants to hook up with me but wasn’t that lucky. He’s cool though. There are the girls, Shauna, Sandy and Sara (notice all their names start with S). They are my closest friends and we all do stuff together. Sandy is our beauty queen and Sandy and Sara are her trusted accomplices. Oh and there are the boyfriends. There is the football jock Erik who is Sandy’s boyfriend. He is the hottest guy on campus, the son of a fortune 500 company CEO, all the girls are ready to throw themselves at him, but he only looks at Sandy. Not that Sandy is that bad or even average; she is a blonde goddess and gives the rest of us a inferiority complex. There is Josh, the too-cool-to-touch dude, who is Shauna’s boyfriend. I never understood what Shauna saw in him, until I met him. Extremely good looking with dark hair and green eyes, he also happens to be the son of the chairman of Mercedes Inc. He has a new car every week and loads of cash, but is arrogant about his stuff. Whatever. There is also Chris, the science whiz kid boyfriend of Sara, who also happens to be the only child of the chairman and founder of Dawn Corps. Yup, the research facility that got billions of dollars for their work on the human genome.

And then there is me. There is nothing too cool to tell you about me, in fact I don’t even know why I hang out with the people that I do. I am from a middle class Indian family with parents who work two jobs and live in a two bedroom apartment. I have managed to fair pretty well in college and am right now ranked number two, right behind Chris and before David. I am not loaded with cash and I am not extraordinary in looks. Very average looking with long straight black hair, a scrawny 5’6 figure and big brown eyes. I need constant help on beauty and fashion issues from the girls and I never go out alone. I am not very athletic, but I jog every morning with the entire group. I do not have a boyfriend because all the desis disgust me and the rest are scared of me because of the guys I hang out with.

So it happened in September, 2 days after school started. I was out all alone, in one of those little shops by the roadside, looking for a lucky charm. I was watching that Friday the 13th episode of Charmed and it made me think that I should get a lucky charm too. So the next day I go over the East side to buy a lucky charm. The little shop was old looking but cozy, not too creepy. The shop was run by a young boy instead of the stereotypical old lady one sees in horror movies. So I racked through the huge collection of lucky charms that they had and spent two hours looking. I had the right one you know. There was another girl there with me who was a bit older than me. She was looking for a charm too. We were both combing the pile very slowly and she was getting very frustrated.
“The way the day has been going, if I don’t get a lucky charm soon, I will die or something.” The girl told me with a wry smile.

“Don’t worry. I am sure you will find the right one soon.” I could only assure her.

She suddenly squealed. “I found it.” She told me holding a small copper peacock feather. I had found my lucky charm too. It was a small pendant with a shiny blue stone. We both paid for our charms and she turned to me.

“You know you are my real lucky charm. I feel happier after meeting you,” she beamed at me. “I am Sarah.” handshake time.

“I feel happy too. I am Surabhi.”
“Nice name. You are Asian, right?” Like Duh.
“Yup. Indian.” Can’t you see the beauty?
“Well here is my number,” she handed me a little piece of paper. “We should hang out some time.” Awesome. I gave her my number and we departed. Life is good.