- Text Size +
“Ugh,” Laura sighed, “I hate being sick!”

“I hear you.” Sam murmured from her spot on the couch.

Both women had come down with a cold and, while they had planned to do a couple things over the next few days, they couldn’t find much energy to do anything. At that moment, Lauren was slouched down on the overstuffed armchair with an ice pack on her head while Sam was buried under an old quilt she had found. They both could barely move and, as much as he didn’t want to get sick, Drew had been taking care of both women. At the moment though, he was on the back deck giving AJ and Nick the low down.

“They are miserable.” Drew told them. “They’re both sick as dogs.”

“Thank you for taking care of them.” Nick told him. “I wish J and I could be there to do it.”

“Me too!” Drew exclaimed. “I can’t wait till you guys get back.”

“We’ll be home in a few days.” AJ said, stealing the phone from Nick.

“You said that last time.”

“I swear it. We’ve made it clear to management that we were doing the one extension and we’re heading home in couple days. I think they realize we’re not kidding.”

“Well the girls will be happy about that; they really miss you both and you two are lucky to have them.”

“Don’t I know it.” AJ replied. “I’m lucky I found her again at all.”

AJ leaned back on the couch as he finished his conversation with Drew. He assured their friend that would be back in a couple of days and reiterated how appreciative he was of Drew taking care of the girls. They hung up after a few minutes and AJ handed the phone back to Nick.

“This sucks.”

“I know.” Nick agreed. “Lauren always takes care of me when I’m sick and now, I’m nowhere to be found to take care of her. I hope they’re not too pissed.”

“I’m not sure Sam ever gets upset with anyone.” AJ commented. “I’ve never seen her get cross.”

“She did with you when she came back.” Nick reminded him as he stretched out on the sofa nearby. “I remember a few blowups.”

“I remember but you can’t say that’s who she is. She was reacting to a tough situation and she lashed out a little. Ever since we worked the situation out though, she hasn’t even raised her voice.”

Nick had to agree with his brother on that point. He knew that Sam had been through a lot and he was impressed at how she was able to open herself up again to his brother. Remembering how he questioned AJ about really being in love with her, he realized that they were truly in love with each other. All he wanted for all his brothers was to be happy and if Sam made him happy, than Nick was in support of them for the long haul.

-------------------

The girls recovered over the next few days and, by the time the boys were on their way home, they felt some kind of normal again. Sam was looking forward to AJ being there and for them to spend some time together before their management decided on a new album and schedule. She had never missed Ryan when he went away and it surprised her how much she could miss someone else when they weren’t around. AJ had shown her a new perspective and she didn’t think she’d ever be able to thank him enough.

However, as excited as she was to see him, she had spent the last half hour arguing with Drew about picking them up.

“Why can’t I come?” Sam demanded as Lauren and Drew got ready to leave and pick the guys up from the airport. “I don’t want to be left here.”

“You need to be.” Drew replied sternly. “I’m not taking a chance with either you, Lauren or the guys. I can’t keep an eye on everyone.”

The old Sam would have agreed with Drew and been frightened to leave the house at all but being with AJ changed that. It’s not like she wanted to take careless risks but she was more willing to attempt to have a real life. She knew she could dress up again and be safe at the airport but Drew didn’t feel the same.

“I want to go.” Sam demanded, standing with her hands on her hips. “I have a right to be there.”

“No.” Drew stated as he returned her fierceness. “I already have to watch Lauren and help the others watch the crowds around the boys. I can’t watch all of that and you.”

“Why can Lauren go then?”

“Because she used to this and she’s not wanted for murder!” Drew snapped and instantly regretted it. “I’m sorry Sam, that was mean.”

“Whatever.” Sam replied, tears forming in her eyes. “Go without me.”

She turned on her heel and silently made her way up to AJ’s bedroom. Drew hung his head and walked out the door with Lauren. He made sure everything was locked and alarmed before getting in the Denali.

“I’m not going to say anything to J.” Lauren said quietly. “He doesn’t need to know that you snapped at Sam.”

“He’s going to find out anyway.”

“Sam won’t say anything; she may be mad but she would never do something to make a scene between you and AJ.”

“I know she wouldn’t.” Drew replied as he kept his eyes on the road. “That’s why I feel so bad about what I said.”

“It was a mistake; you didn’t say it to be mean.”

“I hope J understands that and feels the way you do!”