- Text Size +

January 1, 2010

[Scarlett]

I cleaned my house. I rearranged furniture. I reorganized my closet, painted my nails and toenails and shaved my legs. I even baked cookies and did the laundry. I did everything I could think to do to pass the time.

Finally I ended up downstairs in my little studio, my guitar in my lap, recording a demo of a song I had written a few days before.

There was a part of me that wished I had a tour to go on of my own, or maybe I should go stay at my place in Nashville and actually try to make an album or an EP, something to get me away from L.A. and from Nick because I was scared.

When I heard the door to my studio open, I froze, sitting my guitar down and looked over my shoulder to see Nick walk down the steps slowly. I saw his converse and knew it was him. I could tell by the sound he made when he walked that it was him.

"I left the keys to your scooter on the key rack in the kitchen," he said as I nodded, looking straight ahead and trying my best not to look at him. "I might need you to take me home later, if that's okay."

"Okay," I whispered as he grabbed my guitar and moved it out of the way so that he was standing in front of me, leaning against the counter where my laptop was.

"When did it start?" he asked as I took a deep breath. "When you went on tour with me?" I shook my head. "Before that? Before I did my solo album?" I didn't say anything. "When?"

"I don't remember a time when I didn't," I said, trying to avoid looking at him. "Nick, I don't want it to change things..."

"Here, play that last song you wrote that I found," he said, picking up my guitar by the neck and handing it to me. "Play it for me, Scarlett." I finally looked up at him to see that he was serious. He joked around a lot, but I knew when he was serious.

"I already have it recorded," I said as he moved away from the counter and I pulled my laptop back towards me. I put the guitar back down and stood up, leaning over, wondering if I should play it. But playing it would be better than actually singing it in front of him. "Okay," I finally said as I hit play on the song and it the uptempo beat began playing.

I don't think that passenger seat
Has ever looked this good to me
He tells me about his night
And I count the colors in his eyes
He'll never fall in love he swears
As he runs his fingers through his hair
I'm laughing 'cause I hope he's wrong
And I don't think it ever crossed his mind
He tells a joke, I fake a smile
But I know all his favorite songs
I could tell you his favorite color's green
He loves to argue, born on the seventeenth
His sister's beautiful, he has his father's eyes
And if you asked me if I love him,
I'd lie

"My birthday isn't on the 17th," Nick said as I nodded. "You did that so that I wouldn't realize..."

"Plus it sounded better," I said as he sighed as the second verse, that he had accidentally read before, began to play.

He'd never tell you but he can play guitar
I think he can see through everything but my heart
First thought when I wake up
Is "My god, he's beautiful."
So I put on my make-up
And pray for a miracle
Yes, I could tell you his favorite color's green
He loves to argue, oh, and it kills me
His sister's beautiful, he has his father's eyes
And if you asked me if I love him
If you asked me if I love him
I'd lie

"All of your songs, the ones that we wrote together, are about me? About us?" he asked as I shrugged.

"Most, but..."

"Why do you love me?" he asked as I look away. "Why me?"

"I ask myself that, too," I chuckled. "Because sometimes I hate you so much... because I feel this way and I'd do pretty much anything you ask me to do and then I'm so stupid because I've been feeling this way for years Nick and you go off and do this shit with Piper. Do you think I enjoy that? Seeing that? Knowing what's going on?"

"It's over, it's done with," he said as I shook my head. "Yes it is, Scarlett... it hurts you this bad, we're done. She's done with me. I'm done with it. Last thing I want to do is hurt you." I just stared back at him. "I just... I don't know what I'm supposed to do next."

[/Scarlett]

 


 

[Piper]

I kinda felt a little bashful as Dylan drove us across town to a new restaurant that was having its opening night. Yea, I felt a little weird that our date was happening at a public appearance, but he had assured me that once we were done there we'd eat and head some place else.

"So, no sore head this morning?"

I looked over at Dylan, who glanced at me and smiled. "No, you?"

"I didn't drink. I don't drink. Not really?"

"Oh?" I turned my attention to him. "Any reason why?"

He shrugged. "I just don't like the person I become when I do. Oh wow, look at that..." He pointed straight ahead, where a building was completely lit up, and surrounded by people and camera flashes. "We're here..."

"Woah..." I muttered under my breath, brushing my long bangs out my face a little. I suddenly felt nervous. Sure, I'd been to plenty of events, but I mainly had Nick or Scarlett, or both of them with me, or I'd be alone.

I'd never gone public with a guy before, let alone one I was on a first date with.

Dylan climbed out the car, and the camera flashes increased. I watched him walk around the car before opening my door. "Ready?"

I nodded, putting on a little smile as I grabbed my clutch before taking his outstretched and climbing out.

The shouting from the paparazzi was deafening as Dylan tossed his keys to a waiting valet before taking my hand. I felt a little awkward, but let him walk me down the makeshift red carpet they had before we stopped.

"Just a few pictures?"

I shrugged, following his lead and facing the mass of photographers. I smiled, not really knowing where to look. Hell, you never really knew, you just worked from the left to the right of the crowd and hoped you made everyone happy.

We were ushered inside after a few minutes, and instantly handed a glass of champagne each. I glanced at Dylan, after him telling me he doesn't really drink, and watched as he placed it on the next waitresses tray before looking at me.

"You thought I was going to drink it?"

I shrugged. "I just wondered what you would do."

He moved closer, placing his hand on the small of my back. "I simply give it back." He smiled at me more before urging me forward into the crowd. "Lets get this show over with."

I smiled a little, letting him guide me over to what looked like the owner of the place.

[/Piper]

 


 

[Scarlett]

"It's your move, Nick," I shrugged. "I... I made my move last night. Why? I don't know. It just happened. It doesn't have to mean anything. You don't have to fall madly in love with me and I don't expect you to... I just, I got tired of just standing by and being the girl that was jealous of every other girl in your life."

Nick just stood there, looking down at the floor with his arms crossed over his chest.

"I don't want you to hate me because I don't..."

"Dude, I'd never hate you," Nick said, looking up quickly. "Is that what you're afraid of? Me hating you? Us not being friends anymore?" I nodded slowly as he walked up to me, putting his hands on the side of my face. "I'll never hate you. Ever. I'm just... I'm trying to figure out why me, you know?"

"Why you?"

"Yeah, why me? I mean, you... you're awesome. You're perfect... you're beautiful and talented and smart and a good person. I don't deserve that."

"You do... because you're the same, Nick. You don't think you are, but I've seen you at your worst and I still loved you. That's why I wouldn't leave you back then," I said as he pushed my hair away from my face. "All I've ever wanted is for you to look at me like you have all those other girls."

"But you're not those girls, Scarlett... you're better than them and that scares the shit out of me," he said softly as I smiled a little. He leaned over a little, resting his lips on my forehead, kissing it softly. "Piper's on a date."

"I know. Are you okay with that?" I asked as he backed away from my forehead and stared me in the eyes.

"I just don't trust that guy," he said softly. "It's like when you have gone out with people. I don't trust them."

"Yeah, but we weren't sleeping together," I said as he looked away. "I... I was scared kissing you and telling you but now that we're standing here, I feel okay." He looked back up at me and a smile escaped his lips. "You're not mad at me or grossed out and..."

My voice stopped only because his lips were pressed against mine, kissing me gently. My body became tense when he deepened the kiss, moving his hands from my face, down my torso and to my hips. Finally I caught myself standing there, my lips still pouted out as he backed away and smiled.

"I'll call and get a cab... whatever this is with us, I don't want to fuck it up... I'll get a cab and go home," he said as I nodded slowly. "See you tomorrow?"

"Yeah," I smiled as I watched him as he walked over to the steps and started walking up them slowly. He never took his eyes off of me until he couldn't see me anymore.

When the door shut, I fell back in my chair, reaching up to touch my lips.

Did that really just happen?

[/Scarlett]

 


 

[Piper]

I walked around the restaurant, taking another glass of bubbly from a passing waitress and took a sip before looking around. This restaurant opening was pretty boring, and Dylan has excused himself to the bathroom over 20 minutes before hand. I was surrounded by men in suits, women who clearly hadn't eaten in a long time, and not one person I recognised.

I sighed, swallowing back most of my drink before putting the glass back down. I could easily slip out and hail a taxi home. I placed the champagne glass down on a table before heading towards the exit.

"Piper!"

I turned around, seeing Dylan squeezing through a group of people. I frowned, turning back around and carried on walking.

"Wait! Where are you going??"

I stepped out onto the street, glad that the crowds of press had left. A hand grabbed my arm, making me turn around. I sighed as I looked at him. "Please... this isn't going to work?"

He frowned, letting my arm go. "Why? What did I do?"

I shrugged. "This isn't really my idea of a first date. I mean... this isn't romantic, being surrounded by people I don't know. It sucks." I looked at him. "Sorry, but a first date means alot..."

"No, you're right. You are totally right." He gave me a small smile. "I'm sorry... can we do a redo? Lets get out of here, go get some food. Just me and you. No press, no people we don't know... just us."

I looked at him, nodding softly. "Ok."

"Yea?"

I nodded again. "Yea."

He smiled wide before taking my hand. "I know just the place as well..." He walked us over to his car, and as I settled in the passenger seat I hoped that he really would make this night better.

Would be awkward if I cut this off and it made things bad when filming started.

[/Piper]

 


 

[Nick]

I was even more confused now than I was when I left AJ's house and drove around some before heading to Scarlett's. It kind of made me feel like a complete asshole, her sitting by and watching me fuck all of these girls, date the skanks, and even fuck our other best friend on the side for like eight years.

I really was a complete asshole. After all the shit I've done, I don't deserve someone like Scarlett to feel that way towards me. I went into my house and got my iPod that I kept all of my old demos and some of Scarlett's songs on and headed out to the beach. I grabbed my jacket, putting it on as I walked out and sat down in a chair that I had plopped in the sand.

I started looking through the songs that we had wrote on my first album. Then I went to her first album that she had released and every song I listened to, it made me realize what a complete fucking idiot I was.

I was about to be 30. Hell, Scarlett was about to be 30. The other guys was married. I knew for a fact that AJ was planning on proposing to Rochelle.

What the hell was I thinking?

"Nick," I heard, sitting up straight in the chair and looking over to see Scarlett standing there, bundled up in a hoodie. "I... I couldn't stay at home alone and Piper's on her date because I tried to call and she wouldn't answer and I just... I can't stand being there alone being confused even if it is coming to see you."

"Well, there's another chair," I said as I pushed the chair closer to me and she walked over, sitting down in it and leaning back, her hands in her hoodie. "I've just been thinking."

"I wish I could stop thinking."

"I leave for the tour soon, but... before I do, do you wanna go out?" I asked, looking over at her. "Like an actual date?"

"But you asked me the other day to come on tour with you some so that we could work on your album..." she said as I nodded. "Unless you've changed your mind."

"No... I just... I don't want to rush into something and I don't want to screw things up because you guys are my family. You're like my sister," I said as she made a face. "Uh, not like that, you know what I mean."

"Did you rush into whatever you had going with Piper?" she asked as I took a deep breath and nodded.

"It was just... sex, Scarlett. It was this thing so that I wouldn't just go out and sleep with random girls and she wouldn't go out and risk ruining her career by sleeping with random guys or every actor she works with, you know?" I said as she looked down at her hands.

"Did you never think of me like that?" she finally asked as I sighed.

"Hell up until a few weeks ago I thought you might be a fucking virgin, man," I said as she chuckled. "You're so private. Hell Piper and I are your best friends and I didn't know. I guess this is why you were always so private...."

"I was 15," she said, looking over at me. "You had called me... talking about this girl you had slept with and I just thought that maybe if I did that kind of stuff, you'd like me." I just glared at her. "So I went and hung out with the one boy I knew who would want to and we did it and it was horrible."

"Who?!"

"I can't tell you."

"Fuck, was it AJ?!"

"No, it's before I met AJ in person for the first time," she said as I sighed from relief. "Can we just lay here and listen to the waves?"

"Will you tell me one day?" I asked as she nodded and I smiled, leaning my head back on the chair. If it was AJ, I was going to kick his ass.

[/Nick]

 


 

[Piper]

I kicked my heels off as I stepped into my front door, letting the door shut behind me before walking through to the kitchen. I set my clutch down before opening the fridge and pulling out a beer. I uncapped it, took a mouthful and headed outside to the back deck. I sat down, resting my feet on the chair opposite and pulled out my cell.

The date tonight had reminded me why I didn't date, and why I'd hooked up with Nick for so long. I didn't like the awkwardness, and the disappointment, and thats all I ever seemed to have in the love department.

I scrolled through my contacts, already knowing who I was going to call, but seeing... just in case there might of been someone else.

I mean, I could of called Nick, but I didn't think talking to him about my somewhat fail date would be right.

"I thought you were on a date?"

I chuckled as Scarlett answered the call. "I was."

"So why are you not still on it?"

I gazed out over my backyard and sighed. "He took me to a restaurant opening."

"A what?"

"Exactly! A fucking publicity event! Scar, it was awful! He schmoozed and I literally stood there taking full advantage of the free alcohol."

"Don't tell me you got wasted..."

I smiled. "No, but I went to leave and he stopped me, told me he'd make it better."

"Oh god..." Scarlett groaned. "...you fucked him, didn't you?"

I laughed. "No, but that probably would've made the night better, either that or he'd be a complete dud."

"It didn't go well?"

"Eh." I sighed. "I'm not feeling it. He's hot and all, but I've gotta work with him... and I don't wanna date him just to keep him happy, if that makes any sense."

"Come on, how bad was it?"

I sighed, knowing I was about to come off sounding like a bitch. "It was awkward as hell. I just couldn't wait to leave."

Scarlett laughed. "Piper, that doesn't mean it was a bad date. It was a first date!"

"I hate dating." I mumbled, making her laugh more.

"Don't give up on him because of one awkward date. You need to get to know him. Promise me you'll go out with him again."

"Scarlett..." I whined, pulling a face.

"Promise me, Piper. I know you. I know what you are like, you always take the easy options. Some of the best things in life have to be worked for and taken the hard way. Like our careers. It's probably the only thing I've known that you've stuck out for so long. Well,... that and..." She trailed off, and I knew what she was referring to.

"Me banging Nick?"

"Ugh."

"Sorry! Had to say it." I stifled a chuckle as Scarlett carried on groaning. "Fine. Fine I'll give Dylan another date."

"YAY!" Scarlett whooped down the phone, making me hold it away from my face.

I only hoped that she was right, and that a second date would make it all better.

[/Piper]