- Text Size +

Project: nkotBSB

Chapter 107

By Dottie

Copyright 2014

 

Jessi

 

After a nice, light lunch in the hotel restaurant getting to know AJ’s mom, Nick and I decide to go for a walk on the beach.  Just as we reach the beach access from the hotel, we’re swarmed by paparazzi.  I want to shrink back away from them but Nick holds me firmly by his side and pushes his way through. 


Just when we hit the beach, hotel security shows up and ushers the cameramen away from us.  Nick sighs as the noise dissipates.  “Fucking assholes.  Why can’t they get a life?”

 

I’m still a little shell shocked and more than a bit pissed off. I whirl on him. “Why didn’t you just let me slip away?”

 

He stares at me incredulously.  “Why did you try to get away? What, are you ashamed to be seen with me now?  I thought you knew the paparazzi were par for the course with me.”

 

I struggle to keep my temper in check. He may be a foot taller than me, but I can damn sure punch him anyway.  “Damn you Nick, you know how I feel about publicity right now!  When this trial is over…Dear God how stupid can I be?  I can’t marry you! When it all comes out in the trial…everything I did…you’ll be ruined and it will be my fault!”

 

I try to turn and run but he grabs me and picks me up. FUCK I hate being so short.  He holds me against his chest, his nose pressed against mine and he mutters darkly, “If you don’t want to marry me, just say so.  Don’t hide behind the trial or your past because I’ve told you a million and one times I’ll give up everything to be with you.”

 

In the silence that reigns, my heart is beating so hard, it feels like it’s going to fly through my chest.  I can’t tear my eyes from his. Finally, I whisper, “Nick I’m afraid.”

 

He sighs and presses his forehead to mine.  “Baby I know you are. But you don’t have to be. Nothing is going to change because of the trial. If anything, our lives will get better.  Wahlberg and his family of goons will be seen for what they really are.  And you’ll be mine.  My wife. My lover. The mother of my twelve children.”

 

I can’t help it. I laugh. “Nick…I love you with all my heart.  But I am not having twelve kids.”

 

He laughs with me. “Jessi…in all seriousness, can you please just trust me when it comes to my career and our future?  I told you, you’re the most important thing.  I’ve had a wonderful career.  If I never perform again, it will be ok.  The only thing I know for sure is my future is with you.”

 

I lay my head on his shoulder, getting used to the fact that I’m dangling a foot off the ground.  “But will you be happy without the spotlight Nick?  You were born to sing.”

 

He kisses my neck.  “I was given a gift that I’ve used well.  But now I’ve been given an even better gift.  I’ve been given true love.  I won’t set anything else above that.” Even with the crowd on the beach and the crashing of the waves, I hear him clearly when he finally whispers, “Jessi, you have to promise me something right here and now.”

 

I lift my head to look at him.  “What Nick?”

 

He kisses me softly.  “No matter what the fans say…no matter how they act…you won’t leave me.”  While I chew on my lip, he says, “Jess, listen, no matter who I’ve dated, there have been fans who have always been haters.  They hate me being happy and in love.  They want to keep me the single, happy-go-lucky bachelor.  They want me to be the horny bastard that hit their towns with a boner in my pants hoping they’d get lucky.”

 

I shake my head.  “Did you really…?”

 

He chuckles.  “Maybe not EVERY town, but I won’t lie…I’ve done my share of one night stands.  And believe me, I used protection every time.  My point is…Baby, that’s not me anymore.  I look at you and I want a house with a white picket fence, a garden and a pool in the back yard.”

 

I wrap my arms around his neck and hold on tightly.  “Can you make me one promise Nick?”

 

He nods. “Anything. Everything.  You name it.”

 

I kiss first one cheek and then the other before kissing his lips softly.  “Will you always come home with a boner for me?”

 

He laughs and swings me around.  “I can guarantee that Baby.  Maybe even this afternoon if you want it.”

 

 

By the time we get back to the hotel, I’m back to being deliriously happy. As we wait for the elevator to take us up to the floor where AJ and Ho Jo’s suite is, I mutter softly, “Nick I’m sorry about my melt down.  I just…sometimes it hits me and I can’t get out from under it.”

 

He smiles softly at me. “Darling, after all you’ve been through…it’s expected.  I just wish I could do something to make it easier for you.  To make it all go away.”

 

I sigh, but before I can speak, my phone rings.  I pull it out of my pocket, shocked to see that it’s Thad. I answer it as we step onto the elevator. “Thad, isn’t it after working hours for you?”

 

He sounds weary.  “It is.  But I wanted to tell you, we just had a late night session with the Wahlbergs and their attorneys last night.  And another one today to wrap everything up.”

 

I tense up and Nick grabs my hand.  “And?”

 

He laughs.  “And, there won’t be a trial. They agreed to a plea bargain.  It’s all over.”

 

I sag against the elevator wall and murmur, “What? What?”

 

I hear him flipping through papers.  “The gist of it is, they are all facing hefty fines, probation, and they have a record.  None of them will serve jail time in exchange for complete silence on the matters of the case.  There’s also a permanent protective order in place.  They can’t come anywhere near you or contact you in anyway.  Since Nick has a residence in Los Angeles, Mark and Donnie will be moving out of the city within the next four weeks.”

 

I can’t even think.  I’m stunned. Nick guides me off the elevator and we stand in the hallway. “It’s…it’s really over? For good? Thad, are you for real?”

He laughs in my ear. “I’ll overnight copies of the papers to you so you can see it for yourself. It’s a done deal. The Wahlbergs are out of your life forever.”

 

I slide down the wall to the floor, Nick dropping to his knees beside me and taking my hand.  I manage to whisper, “Thad, I don’t know how to thank you.”

 

He yawns loudly and says, “How about flying me in for the wedding? I want to kiss the bride. And my wife would love to see Hawaii.”

 

With tears in my eyes I whisper, “Pack your bags.  And tell Gina to bring a bikini.”

 

He chuckles.  “Will do. See you soon.  And Jessi?  Thanks for not backing out on me.  This is the biggest case of my career yet!”

 

After I hang up, I just stare at Nick.  Finally, I whisper, “It’s over. There won’t be a trial.  Nick…it’s finally over!”

 

He lifts me in his arms and holds me tight.  “All you had to have was a little bit of faith.”

 

The elevator door opens and I hear a familiar, surly voice.  “Jessica Todd, is that anyway for a lady to behave in public? I certainly hope Hanna Jo doesn’t behave in such a despicable manner.”

 

I slide down Nick’s body to the floor and utter darkly, “Mrs. Rogers, what are you doing here?”

 

She shoots me a frosty glare, her husband standing a good three feet behind her looking almost like a zombie.  “I’m here to take my daughter home and get her back on the path of righteousness.”

 

With Nick backing me up, I stare her down and mutter, “You’ll have to go through me to do it. I will NOT let you treat Hanna Jo like your personal whipping girl anymore.  She’s finally happy. Come hell or high water, I intend to see she stays that way.”

 

She stares at me with venom in her eyes.  “You should know about Hell.  You’re a walking devil and you’ve ruined my daughter.”

 

I take a step forward but Nick grabs my arm.  “Hang on Jessi…calm down.”

 

I stop moving and stand close to Nick, but I manage to hiss, “Who’s the devil here? I want her to be happy. You never cared about her happiness.  Why can’t you just leave her alone? Let her live her own life?”

 

She throws her nose up in the air. “I’ll not have her embarrass me in front of the church a minute longer.  She will come back home with me or else.”

 

The door to our suite opens and Hanna Jo comes out. “Or else what Mother?”