- Text Size +

Project: nkotBSB

Chapter 108

By Rachel

Copyright 2014

 

Hanna Jo

 

“What are you wearing?” My mom looks at me with disdain. “You’d go out looking like that?”

 

“Geesh, mom! It’s called a swimsuit. We were planning on going swimming.” I look down at my modest bikini. “What are you doing here anyway?” I question. Something isn’t right. I didn’t understand why my parents were in Hawaii.

 

“Hanna that is no way to talk to your mother.” She loudly admonishes me. “Your father and I want you to come home where you belong.”

 

“Maybe we should take this inside the room. No need for the patrons of the hotel to hear your conversation.” Nick suggests politely.

 

I open the door, letting my parents in first. Jessi and Nick follow behind. I close the door and wait to see what my parents are up to.

 

“Banana, you look fucking sexy in that bikini.” AJ says as he wraps himself around me from behind, not noticing my parents.

 

“See, Gideon. This is the kind of trash your daughter is hanging out with. It’s an embarrassment to our family.” My mother is on a rampage.

 

AJ whispers, “Han, I’m so sorry. I didn’t know your parents were here.”

 

“It’s okay. Can you go get my cover-up?” I whisper back. AJ retreats to the bedroom.

 

“Aren’t you going to introduce us to this freak you call a boyfriend?”

 

“Mother, would you stop it? Please, just stop it.” I cry out.

“It’s the truth. Disgracing your family this way, Hanna. You should be ashamed of yourself.” She stares at me with her cold eyes.

 

“Jessi and Nick. I think….umm…could you…excuse…” I ramble. I notice I’m turning into the backward girl I was years ago.

 

Jessi and Nick stand up slowly. I can see the anger on my best friend’s face. She walks over to me. “Are you sure you’ll be okay?”

 

“I’ll be fine.” I give her a quick hug. “I have to do this on my own.”

 

After they leave, AJ walks in with my cover up. I quickly put in on.  AJ is by my side which gives me the strength that I need to deal with my parents. With him beside me I can face anything.

 

“Mother and Father, I would like you to meet my fiancé, Alex McLean.” I say politely. I’m trying to keep my cool.

 

“It’s a privilege to meet you Mr. and Mrs. Rogers.”  AJ extends his hand. Neither of my parents is willing to shake it.

 

“Hanna are you sure this is the right thing to do?  You’ve only known him for a few months.” My father finally speaks.

 

“Excuse me, but I am doing the right thing. Alex loves me unconditionally. He doesn’t set out to hurt me like my own flesh and blood has. He wants me to be happy unlike the two of you.”  I spit out.

 

“Mr. and Mrs. Rogers, I love your daughter with all my heart. She’s beautiful on the inside and out. Hanna Jo has a heart of gold. She’s everything I could want in a wife.” He speaks from his heart.

 

“Yeah, because you can manipulative her to do whatever perverted thing you want. My daughter is naïve enough to believe that you actually love her.” My mother laughs in our faces.

 

I look at my father. His face is expressionless. How could he let my mother treat me this way? When I was younger he would at least tame my mother’s temper. Now he just let her say whatever wanted to me. How can a parent treat their own child that way?

 

I think about my own unborn child. I give a silent promise to God that I will never treat my child the way that I’m being treated. My parents are not following their Christian values. Thinking about my baby gives me the strength I need to deal with my parents.

 

“Mother, I don’t think you loved me since the day that I was born. From the time I was little I was always a disappointment to you. Why? I don’t know. I used to let it bother me. I wanted you to love me. Now, I don’t need your love. I have a family who loves me. They may not be flesh and blood, but they accept me for who I am. They value me.  That family starts with Alex.” I go off on my mother. The look on her face is priceless. The best thing is I’m not even done with her.

 

“Edna, maybe it’s time we leave.  We can come back and get Hanna tomorrow. It’s almost dinnertime and we’re getting nowhere.” My dad states sharply.

 

“We are not leaving without Hanna. I’m not letting her destroy my life.”

 

I look at AJ and see that he is ready to go off on my mother. I shake my head. This is my battle to fight, and I’m going to win. He squeezes my hand in support.

 

“I’m not trying to destroy YOUR life, Mother.” My voice rises. “You two have tried and failed at destroying mine. Ever since I left, I can be me. I like who I am. You may not like the fact that I’m independent and have opinions. You will not hold me down. I will not play into your warped point of view. How I live my life is none of your freaking business. I’m twenty-five years old. I can take care of myself.”

 

“Hanna Jo Rogers, this is intolerable.” My mother interrupts.

 

I attempt to remain polite, but it’s not working.  “What is intolerable is the way you treat me. I’m marrying the man of my dreams. There’s no way in hell you can stop me. In a matter of time, I won’t be a Rogers. I’ll be Hanna Jo McLean. This means that I will be out of your life for good. You can tell everyone at church you have one less daughter. You can tell them I’m dead or whatever. I don’t give a fuck. Now get out of my life for good.”

 

My mother stands there with her mouth wide open. My father is staring at the ground. AJ wraps his arm around me. I didn’t even realize that my whole body is shaking. I need to calm down for our baby.

 

“How dare you speak to us that way!” My mother hisses at me.

 

“Get the fuck out of my room before I call security.” They make no move to leave. “Alex, hand me the phone.”

 

AJ steps away from me to get the phone. My father looks ashen. “Edna maybe we should leave. It’s clear we are not wanted.”

 

My mother puts her nose in the air and walks out. Slowly, my father follows her. He looks toward me and whispers. “I love you Hanna.” Then he shuts the door.

 

AJ picks me up and carries me to the couch. I lean against him placing my head his shoulder. We sit quietly for a few minutes. “Banana are you okay? I thought you would be upset and in tears.”

 

“I’m fine Big Mac. It’s…it’s just that I feel nothing for them. Sure they gave me life and took care of me. The love was never there. I guess I’ve grown immune to their crap after all these years.” I press of kiss to his cheek. “I have the family I want now. I have a wonderful husband to be. I have Jessi and Nick. You’re the family I always wanted.”

 

“I promise to love you forever. I love you Hanna Jo McLean.”