- Text Size +
Prologue


Backstreet Rising.

The music is soft, the stage dark. It's very ominous and unlike any Backstreet Show we're used to.

The theatre's stage seems completely bare at the start of the show. Whispers and mutterings spread throughout the crowd. No one is sure what is going on or what is taking so long. The few trial shows before this one were fairly short and noticeably poor received, looking like a cheap version of Backstreet's greatest hits with only four members. The disappointment spread through the fandom like a rapid infection. Rumours even more so. Did the Backstreet Boys lose their abilities to entertain a crowd of reminiscent women? And the glaring absence of the fifth member left plenty of room of speculation as well.

The announcement of the start of a mini-tour that would only hit theatres throughout the United States seemed like a crazy and desperate idea at the time to many. Various digital news papers and polls proclaimed Backstreet's downfall, and taking the last two shows in account, I myself was not very hopeful to possibly make this article an accolade.

The music gets louder, but it's not the cheerful and ever-familiar tones of their trademark tunes. It sounds like an annoying buzz, and stops just as suddenly as it begins. I hear a few women next to me whisper about possible technical difficulties, but they don't get further than that explanation before finally something happens on stage. A spot on the center of the stage reveals a treadmill, while the rest of the stage stays shrouded in total darkness. I am fairly certain this opening did not take place in the previous shows.

The sound effects of thunder accompany the ominous spotlight. A feeling of uncertainty spreads through the crowd, that is suddenly not sure of what they can expect. Curious whispers echo through the rather small theatre in LA, which still seems a strange choice compared to the larger and more common theatres in this area.

A high pitched scream startles the mass as a viewer from the left side of the crowd discovers movement on the stage. From the right side where I stand, I cannot see Howie Dorough until he appears in the spotlight, right next to the machine. Without a word of acknowledgement to the raving public, he gets on and starts to walk slowly, pushing a few buttons.

After a minute, he shrugs, unimpressed, and shuts the machine off again, leaving the stage without glancing back.

The confused faces all around me would have been funny if I wasn’t as confused myself. AJ McLean comes on, welcomed by the same kind of excited cheers as his previous band mate, but appears to be starting the same ritual of ignoring, getting on the treadmill and leaving within a minute. The feeling that it is weirdly part of the show is growing. I feel like it is supposed to mean something, but Backstreet Boys aren’t known for their hidden messages and deeper meanings in live shows, so it keeps me on the edge of decision.

Nick Carter gets a roaring approval of the crowd as he comes on, seems to fall out of character for a split second as he secretly smiles while looking at the ground. His role seems to have little variation compared to the previous two. He gets on the treadmill, jogs for a minute and then steps off. Waving quickly at an admiring fan in the middle. Even Kevin Richardson, seemingly the last to come onstage, has no problem ignoring everything around him and leaving as quick as he came.

The stage stays completely quiet and empty for a whole of three minutes. And just when I, and a few women around me start wondering if we should ask for our money back, it suddenly all makes sense when the fifth member comes on. The noticeable limp that would be forever in his step doesn’t seem to distract him and he looks at the fitness machine in determination.

Seemingly steeling himself for a second, he then proceeds to get on the treadmill and starts walking. A heavy silence, which is very much unlike any other Backstreet Boys concert I have reviewed, spreads through the watching public. Unlike his band mates, Brian Littrell looks up, staring directly into the crowd.

“Oh, come on,” he declares through his headset, “This is no big deal.”

The loaded statement demands respect and it clearly works, judging by the hushed mumbles of approval and admiration around me. Slowly, the crowd comes back to life, cheering Brian on as he dares to start a slow jogging run on the treadmill. His running technique seems a bit clumsy, but it’s all the more admirable when you consider the fateful bus accident only ten months ago, that almost took Littrell’s life. Although nothing is officially confirmed as of yet -as we know Backstreet is often slow and reluctant with official statements- a firm and steady speculation that the forty year old singer is missing his right leg keeps on growing. But official releases and press conferences for this show aren’t until next month.

Without further ado, Brian takes a deep breath, commencing the first notes of ‘Everybody’, an all time fan favourite. Suddenly, the music is everywhere and the stage is fully lit up, revealing the other Boys as they run up the stage. Brian keeps a walking pace on the treadmill throughout the entire song, not daring to dance the well-known routine with the other band members. We don’t blame him.

The rest of the show quickly turns into a pleasant acoustic set of their trade-mark love songs, with a few up tempo songs mingled into the bunch. The absence of the familiar dance routines does sting a little bit, but is very understandable, given the situation. I am still not sure what made them decide to include such an opening sequence in the show. Maybe to impress or to confront the crowd by showing what you can achieve with hard work and determination.

And to throw in an overly used cliché, Backstreet’s Back, and they’re as strong as ever.