- Text Size +
The next morning I woke up to a buzzing sound. It took me a good minute remember the nights events before.

Allayna was lying asleep next to me, my body was more stiff than usual because I wasn’t in my own bed. The sun was up and I looked over Allayna’s shoulder to read the alarm clock.

It was eight forty-seven. Definitely a late morning for the both of us, considering we were used to getting up around seven. As I pushed myself all the way to a sitting position, the buzzing noise brought me back to the reason for me waking up. I reached over Allayna and grabbed her phone.

“Ugh,” I remembered I had asked AJ to come that early morning when I saw who was texting her.

‘You awake?’ ‘ Am I still coming over?’ ‘Everyone alive?’ ‘Should I call an ambulance? 911, the police?’ All from AJ.

‘Sorry. I just woke up. Allayna is still sleeping.’ I sent back, leaning against the headboard.

‘Where is your phone?’

‘In the living room.’

‘Why do you have hers?’

‘I’m in her room.’ I immediately regretted what I sent to him.

‘Ooo. You two finally did it?!’

‘No. We slept together.’ Dammit Carter. I scolded myself. ‘Just slept.’

‘Sure sure. Am I still coming over?’ At that I heard Allayna move around and let out a soft moan.

“Hey,” I whispered and smiled when her eyes contacted mine.

“Hi,” she said back, her eyes still full asleep.

“How are you feeling?”

“Okay. Just tired. What time is it?”

“Almost nine.”

“What?” She sat up and winced. Her eyes remained closed for a brief moment and she let out a breath.

“Let me see it.”

“It’s fine.”

“Uh huh. Well, I have AJ here on the phone. Ready to come take you to the doctors. Either way you’re going to get checked out for your breathing.” I then began pulling up and off the sheets. “Now, make it easier on me and swing around. She let out a groan and slowly brought her up her left leg, and draped it across my lap.

“I don’t remember the last time I slept in.” She said watching as I unraveled the bandage from the now mushy bag of veggies.

“You needed it.” As soon as the bandage was off, I knew her ankle was bad and pulled off the defrosted veggies.

“See its fine?” It came out more as a question as she examined her foot. I was already texting AJ that we would need him.

“Call your Doctor and make an appointment.” She let out another groan and dropped her face into the bed. She was so mature when it came to others but as soon as she was supposed to take care of herself; she wanted nothing about it. I shoved her phone in her face. She took it, looked at me and then went through her contacts. A moment later she hung up the phone.

“They can get me in forty-five.”

“Perfect.”

“It’s a forty minute drive.”

“Doctors are always late. AJ is on his way. Start
getting ready.” I was already getting myself into my chair and she sat there. “Stop pouting.” I watched as she scooched to bottom of the bed. She held onto the bed as she stood up; and as she tried to step forward on her left foot, she quickly picked it up.

“This is dumb.” She said in frustration.

“I should give you my chair.”

“I can manage. Go.” She said sharply. “Make the coffee please.” She hopped on one foot and went to her dresser. I tried not to laugh and made my way out.
I got the coffee going and a few minutes later AJ was ringing the doorbell.

“Good morning,” he said cheerfully, sporting a tank top, jeans, a hat and sunglasses. He gave me a brief hug.

“Hey thanks for coming.”

“No problemo. Where is the damsel in distress?” He put his glasses on top of his head.

“Getting dressed. Moving slowly. Can you get the almond milk and that travel mug down for me? If she doesn’t have her coffee you’re going to have a long morning.”

“You’re not coming?”

“Time I get ready, she will be later.” At that moment Allayna came hopping out, wearing yoga pants, a tank top, a sweatshirt around her waist and a sneaker on.

“Damn girl, you’re a mess.” AJ handed me the milk and mug and went over to her.

“Good to see you to Alex,” she glared and hugged him back.

“Here is your coffee, now go.” I told her. “AJ maybe give her a lift?”

“I am bringing her. That’s why I’m here.”

“No AJ. Pick her up.”

“Ah. Okay.” With that he swiftly picked her up.

“Call or text me as soon as you have answers.” I handed her the mug and smiled. She still wasn’t smiling as AJ carried her out to the car.

I showered, got dressed myself and made some breakfast while waiting to hear from Allayna. I wish I could’ve taken her. After cleaning up the kitchen, I did my morning stretches and as I worked on my leg movement my phone buzzed. It had been almost two hours since they had left.

‘I’m dying and they’re cutting my foot off.’ The text from Allayna read.

‘Funny.’ I wrote back.

‘You know me.’

‘Seriously. Are you on your way home? What did they say?’

‘Gave me a stronger inhaler, different meds for the neb and have to do that every morning and night for next month or so.’

‘Ankle?’

“Bad sprain. Have me in a boot and crutches. It’s fine.’

‘Do you have a follow up?’

‘Two weeks.’

‘Are you on way?’

‘Picking up prescriptions now. Be home in ten.’

‘I’ll make you breakfast.’

‘Thanks.’ I felt bad for the position she was in but knew she’d be fine and able to handle it. As I went to the kitchen the doorbell rang again. No idea who it could be or maybe it was Allayna pranking that she were already home, I went to the front door. I looked out the side window and was surprised when I saw it was Eric. I opened the door and was actually grateful that Allayna wasn’t home.

“Can I help you?” I asked.

“I came to check on Allayna. She didn’t show up this morning and didn’t answer my texts.”

“She’s actually at the doctors. Her ankle is pretty bad.”

“I didn’t mean to push her.”

“I know I saw it. But you did. And she got hurt.”

“Are you two a couple?”

“What? That’s not your business but no.”

“She’s here to just take care of you?”

“We’re best friends.”

“I know that. But nothing more?”

“I think you should go and you need to leave her alone. If she contacts you, then fine, but let her be.”

“I just want to talk to her. Can I hang out until she gets back.” This guy was starting to piss me off.

“Actually no. I’ll let her know you were here.”

“Come on man. You’re a guy, you have to understand.”

“I do. But I also know when a girl isn’t interested.”

“She is, she just is confused.”

“She’s far from that. Now, I have some things to do. Have a good day.” I held the door open.

“Allayna will come around.”

“Okay then.” There was no point. I then heard a door shut and I closed my eyes, cursing under my breath. They were back.

“No need for waiting.” Eric turned on his heel and opened the door as AJ stood behind Allyana who was on crutches, a black boot that went up to her knee fitted her left ankle.

“Allayna, I’m so sorry.”

“Eric, I’m not in the mood. Go home.” She rolled her eyes and walked in. I couldn’t help but grin.

“Everything good?” AJ asked, darting his eyes from me, to Allayna, to Eric, back to me.

“He was just leaving,” I said and Allayna stood close to me.

“Give me five minutes.”

“No.” She turned around on her good leg and walked out of the room.

“On that note, you should probably go.” AJ said politely, placed a hand on Eric’s broad shoulder and held the door open more. Eric didn’t say another word and walked out.

“Thanks.” I said.

“That the ex?”

“Yeah. He’s the reason why Allayna wrecked her foot.”

“Eesh. Okay. Well here are her meds.” AJ handed me the white paper bag. “She’s supposed to be on those crutches for two weeks. She tried to walk without them already but it wasn’t successful. So stay on top of that.”

“Thank you for driving.”

“I’m around this week if you need more help. But she said since it wasn’t her right ankle she could still drive you around.”

“Of course she did.”

“She’s got spirit. Always have thought so. Anyhow. I’m off to my lady’s. We still on to go out Friday?”

“Yes.”

“Sweet. Take it easy. Tell her I said goodbye. I think she went to lay down.”

“Will do. Thanks AJ.” AJ left, I locked the door, more for to keep Eric out. I made my way to the living room where Allayna was lying on the couch, crutches on the floor and foot up on a pillow.

“Hey.”

“Hey.” She said back.

“I’m glad it’s just a sprain.”

“Yeah. Just a day or two on these things.” She shrugged.

“Right. Not what AJ said the doctor said.”

“Tattle tale.”

“He’s looking out for you. Want to watch a movie?”

“Did you do your exercises?”

“Some. I’ll finish later.”

“You’re going to therapy tomorrow.”

“Okay. Let me take care of you today.” She looked at me, and let out a sigh. “I know you’re not used to it, but you can do it. I know you can.”

“I want to cuddle.”

“I can do that. Move over.” Thankful for my large couch, I pushed myself on, got comfortable and had Allayna lay back into me. We have cuddled in the past before, but this time it felt different. I felt very productive. I could never think of pushing a woman, non-the-less, Allayna.