- Text Size +
The feelings I had been feeling for the past month all came flooding back, the moment Allayna's face was inches away from mine. It was at that moment I wanted to do nothing but kiss her. My heart raced and her eyes sparkled with excitement, or maybe it was uncertainty. And as we leaned forward, our lips getting closer and closer, my chair was pushed into and we hit heads.

"Oh my goodness, excuse me. I wasn't watching where I was going," a woman in her fifties apologized. Allayna cleared her throat and hopped off my lap.

"No problem." She smiled but realized she had also taken my hand as she stood.

"Do you want to head back home, go in the hot tub and maybe open another bottle; perhaps make some dessert?" I asked.

"That sounds perfect." With that, she pushed me, I took my phone out and sent out for an Uber. We went to the table, where I paid the bill and we walked out the busy sidewalk. A minute later our Uber was there and we got in. The ride was quiet, but we held hands; enjoying the effects the of the alcohol and I didn't want to sober up anytime soon.

Once inside, we both went into our rooms to change into our bathing suits. She was done before me, and had already poured red wine into two glasses. Towels lay on the table and she was playing with the music to turn on outside.

I sat there watching her move her hips to the music, sporting her black bikini; showing off her perfect body. I moved up to her, and pulled her in my lap.

"Did you really put Backstreet on Pandora?" I asked.

"Well, you won't sing for me." She pouted and was singing to 'I Want It That Way.' I joined in with her when my part came on. We laughed and at the end of the song she got up; took our glasses ,handed me the bottle because she said we'd need it; and we went outside.

The moon was high, and for the first time in a long time; everything was perfect.

"This button here?" She asked to make sure she was turning on the right one.

"Yeah, but getting in and out of this thing is going to be rough." I said, looking at the two steps.

"Just use your muscles," she smiled and handed me my glass. "How long to warm up?"

"Not long. Just another minute." She continued to dance around, I forgot how much she love dancing; and sang to Brittney Spears, 'Crazy.' "You're going to regret all that moving around tomorrow."

"What are you talking about?" She whirled around and took a sip of her wine.

"Your ankle." I pointed out.

"You worry too much. Come on its warm." She checked the water. I sat on the step from my chair and had to pull myself up to the ledge of the hot tub. As I picked up my legs to dangle in the water, I caught Allayna watching me.

"Yes?" I asked.

"Your upper body has some gains," she nodded, raising an eye brow.

"Yeah in fat."

"No. I'm serious. You're getting cut and big." She stepped up and slid into the tub. Setting the wine glasses down on the tray next to us; she helped me slide in.

"Okay problem with not being able to use legs is I can't stop from floating." I laughed and bumped into Allayna.

"I've got you." She put her arm around my waist, and entangled her legs around mine. And then it happened again, we were caught in each other's eyes. Afraid of losing the moment to something happening, I was going to go for it and take the chance. Or, at least I thought I was. Allayna had already leaned forward and our lips finally met.

It was slow, and feelings in my legs and body I didn't think would ever show up again, ran through me like electricity. We pulled away a little, both searching in each other's eyes to see if we should continue and I then leaned in to kiss her again.

My arms enclosed around her fit waist, and the kiss became deeper. When we finally pulled away we were both breathing quicker and I was pretty sure I had a stupid grin smacked on me.

"Nick we're best friends." She spoke the words I wasn't ready to hear.

"So what. Don't think. We won't make this a big deal. Let's just go with it." I searched her face to see if she were regretting the kiss. "It feels right doesn't it?" She answered by leaning in and kissing me.
We continued to kiss and make out like a couple of high scholars for a few more minutes and at some point it came to me where it could possibly go if I didn’t stop right then.

“What is it?” She asked when I pulled away.

“I still feel like this is all right. But, I don’t want it to go somewhere, leading to sex, with us being more than a bit tipsy. I want this to be real and if it is, if my feelings are right; it will happen without any alcohol in our systems.” She tilted her head, bit her lip and let out a sigh, her arms wrapped around my neck.

“You’re right. And that was probably one of the most mature things I’ve heard you say Carter.” She laughed lightly.

“Really now?” I pulled her into me a little closer.

“Don’t let it get to your head.”

“So, do you want to go make some brownies and finish this bottle of wine? I’m all pruned up.” She pulled away with a look of disgust. “My hands!” I held them up to shower her and she laughed.

“Alright.” She got out, helped me out and we dried off before going back inside.

“Allayna.”

“Hmm?” She wrapped a towel around her body.

“I don’t think I’ve told you enough of how beautiful you are.” She pulled the towel around her tighter, showing a side of self-conscious I wasn’t used to seeing from her.

“Come on Romeo.” She rolled her eyes. And just as quick as it came, the self-conscious left and my best friend was back. We started back inside and I could tell already her ankle was bothering her. She was limping as we went into our rooms to get out of our wet suits. I actually was faster than her this time, and turned on the fire in the living room.

“I was thinking the same thing,” she came out. Her hair was still up in messy bun she put in before going in the tub, she wore a pair of black ankle leggings and loose off the shoulder long sleeve black shirt.

"I forgot how much you can drink," I laughed as Allayna poured another glass of wine. In nowhere near were we sober, but surprisingly we weren't belligerent.

"And you need a refill," she poured my glass and then proceeded to the cupboard. "We have a problem."

"What's that?"

"We do not have any sort of junk food."

"That's what you get for being a fitness junkie. Actually, we have dark chocolate chips and strawberries. Melt the chocolate."

"Oo. I like your thinking!" She opened another cupboard, took the dark chocolate chips out and poured them into a bowl. She tossed it in the microwave for two minutes took out the strawberries from the refrigerator.

"I am changing the music." I told her. "I'm sick of listening to boy bands."

"Okay, put some Breaking Benjamin on."

"Really? I thought we were having a romantic night."

"What's not romantic about Breaking Ben?" She finished washing the berries and took the chocolate out placing everything on the table.

"Silly me." I rolled my eyes and put this music on Imagine Dragons, so at least we would get a mix of some rock and some softer alternative.

"Here," she held a chocolate strawberry up to lips and took a bite.

"Now, that's good."

"How about this one?" She then took her hand that was from behind her back and shoved a huge berry, with a lot of chocolate in, or should I say on my mouth and face. Giggling she backed up.

"Is that how you want to play?" I licked the corner of my mouth. I then started after her and she ran around out to the living room. The cat and mouse game lasted a couple minutes until I found my water gun on the floor next to the sliding glass door that led to the pool. She didn't see me pick it up and I squirted. She squealed and ran back into the kitchen.

"You know I could be completely mean, and get a bucket of water and have you soaked," she pointed out reaching for a large bowl and turning on the faucet.

"You wouldn't dare."

"I wouldn't?"

"Well, YOU would. But this other version, of sweet and caring Allayna I kn-" And then the water was dumped over my head. She burst out laughing. "You're dead," I wheeled toward her, she turned quick to get away but slipped on the water.

She was still laughing on the floor, so I knew she was okay. "Karma." I said and reached my hand out to help her up while I was laughing pretty hard myself. She grabbed my hand and then reached her other arm out, pulling me out of my chair onto the floor with her.

We sat there laughing which seemed to be forever and I didn't want to the moment to stop. Vanessa and I never played like this and who is to say you need to stop playing and acting like kids the older you get?

Unfortunately the moment did stop when Allayna realized she couldn't catch her breath.

"It's after midnight. You usually take your neb medicine at nine." She nodded, her hands over her chest as though that would help the wheezing and coughing stop. "Come on." She pushed my chair near me, put the breaks on and helped me into it all while coughing her lungs out.

Since being on her new medicine, she hasn't had any real attacks and I was hoping it was just because she was late on taking it. I followed her into her room, where she turned it on, filled the tube up with the prescription and put it over her face.

"Sorry," she said lifting the mask up.

"Shh. Don't be silly. Lay flat so you can open your airway." As she did, I picked her hand up in mine and sat there with her for the next ten minutes until everything had settled.

"Buzz kill huh?" She asked taking the mask off and looking over at me.

"It was worth it, no?"

"Totally." She smiled.

"I'm going to go change into DRY clothes, since someone soaked me. Want to sleep in my room tonight? My bed is way more comfy."

"Sounds good, let me wash up." She started to sit up, but laid back down right away. "Okay, in a minute." Her eyes closed.

"Take your time." The asthma attack, the wine and the fact it was one am I'm sure made her tired. I left her room and went into mine; replaying the entire night in my head and I was happy.