- Text Size +
Chapter 2
It’s amazing how real food will make you feel, especially after being threatened to have a tube put down your nose to eat. After eating the lunch Vanessa brought, I agreed to start some PT. Physical therapy if you’re not familiar. It wasn’t much, seeing as how my legs were in a cast and my pelvis was broken and I had a few surgeries. But I did manage to do some arm stuff and begin my way to sitting up.

I must say, I am grateful that it is just my lower body and my upper body for the most part is undammed.

It was around six when Allayna came back to the hospital. She had changed from a pair of yoga pants, a tank top and flip flops to a pair of cut off shorts, a black tank and her blonde hair was out of a ponytail freshly washed.

“Not fair, now you look better than me,” I told her as she approached the bed.

“Hate to break it to you, but I always look better,” she joked. “ However, I must say, you have some color in your cheeks now and look more alive. I heard you ate like a good boy. I brought you a chicken salad for dinner.” She held up a bag. “Brought you one also Vanessa.” She told my girlfriend who was reading another magazine in a chair.

“Thanks,” Vanessa said not taking her eyes off the page.

“Must have Channing in it,” I shook my head slowly. My body began to ache and tried to adjust myself a bit.

“You need something?” Allayna asked.

“I think I need to be flat again,” I closed my eyes, took a deep breath in and let out. Breathing seemed to help pain.

“Oh let me,” Vanessa stood up quickly from the chair and came over to where the remote to the bed was. “All the way down baby?”

“Please.” And she pressed the down button and I slowly lowered.

“Do you need more meds?” She asked handing me the morphine button.

“They’ll knock me out.”

“It’s okay Nick, don’t stay awake on my behalf. “ Allayna smiled. “I’ll catch up with Ness, it has been a few months.” At that moment, I took the morphine and pressed the red button. I did not want to be awake for that conversation. Moments later, I gave into the heavy drug and my eyes closed.

“It’s really great you were able to come, I know with work you’re traveling a lot.” Vanessa told Allayna. They had decided to go outside and walk around to the coffee shop.

“It’s great you haven’t left his side,” she told Vanessa sincerely.

“There have been times I’ve been ready to walk away; he’s not the easiest patient.”

“Oh, you don’t have to tell me.” Allayna waved her hand in the air.

“Of course not,” Vanessa remarked bitterly. “Sorry, I
just haven’t slept much and this whole thing is hard.”

“Were you there when it happened?”

“No, I decided to go to a different show that night in Orlando. In a way I am happy I wasn’t there. I don’t know if I could’ve handled seeing it all ya know?”
Allayna nodded her head and held open the door to the Café shop. “The important thing is that you’re with him now and I know Nick adores you.”

“Sometimes I’m not sure honestly.” The girls ordered their drinks and walked back outside.

“Do you know when they can transport him back home to LA?” Allayna asked Vanessa taking a long pull of her iced coffee.

“They’re hoping in a few weeks after the bones have started healing and his stitches are out. He’s going to have a long recovery ahead of him.” Vanessa then sat down on a bench that was outside of the hospital, put a hand over her face and started crying.

“Hey, it’s going to be okay. Nick can do this.” Allayna joined her and cautiously put a hand on Vanessa’s shoulder.

“He’s emotional and he’s going to need around the clock care and is going to need-,” Vanessa’s rambling was broken off.

“He’s going to need you. Love and support. You love him and he loves you and that will be enough.”

“Will it?”

“Yes,” Allayna tried to say more positive than what she was thinking.