- Text Size +
Another two weeks passed, slowly in Orlando. Vanessa was the great girlfriend she is, and stayed with me every day. Only leaving to sleep in the hotel, or to get food. She was there during my physical therapy sessions and when they cut the casts off my legs. Which you may not want to hear this, but I now have girly legs. Any muscle I had in them, well, it’s gone.

Allayna keeps reassuring me that she’s my best friend for a reason. To get my ass into shape, which she has done on many occasions. We have talked on the phone every night, which was usually late for me, but only nine pm her time.

Today however, I woke up excited and full of energy. Today I would be making the six hour plane trip home with Vanessa. I reassured to Allanya over and over that she didn’t need to fly out here to fly back. She would be picking us up at the airport and bringing us home.
Home.

A place where I was more than ready to get to, yet at the same time I was nervous. I wouldn’t have around the clock doctors, although I know I don’t really need them anymore. I already had PT sessions set up for the next two weeks at a great facility not too far away from my house.

“Okay babe, you ready?” Vanessa asked gathering the remainder of my things. I was already in my chair, freshly showered, in real jeans, shirt and shoes and was more than ready.

“Let’s roll…literally,” I said pointing to the door. She laughed a little but she seemed to take me and everything else extremely seriously these days.

“You have your prescriptions?” She asked for the third time that morning and I only nodded my head. “Okay, I guess we are ready. To the airport!” We did have extra security follow us and I had on a baseball cap to help hide my identity.

The last thing I needed right now are the paparazzi and fans all over us. A press conference is set up for two weeks from today with the guys.

I’ve gotten used to having to need help…a lot. Mostly
with transferring myself to and from cars or to a special wheel chair that fits into the airplane. Bonus. I got put on the plane first, along with a ninety year old man. I put my head phones on, took a couple muscle relaxers with water and planned to sleep until I was home in California.

Stiff, sore, tired and could you tell, grumpy from the long flight, I was finally being pushed out of the terminal and heading towards the bags. It was only about three pm in California and the airport was horribly crowded. We waited for our luggage; I had just one large bag as did Vanessa. We had our other things from tour shipped a while ago. Allayna said it all made its way home.

Standing at the baggage claim, speak of the devil, there she was. Wearing a pair of light jeans, a black button up, her hair straightened down and rocking a pair of heels; Allayna stood. A pair of sunglasses sat on the top of her head and when she saw us, she made her way over.

“Look at you,” she beamed, bent down and pulled me into a hug, the hug I had been longing for. Familiarity and comfort and home; that’s what Allanya reminded me of. She then stood up, hugged Vanessa and Clark my bodyguard who was escorting me.

“We just have two bags, a black and blue one.” I told her.

“At least you don’t have typical colors as does everyone else,” she said sarcastically and went to the belt that had started moving with bags on it. Vanessa pointed out hers which came up first and with ease, Allanya pulled it off. A few minutes later mine came around and she did the same. “Okay, let’s go home.” She smiled and we headed towards the doors.

“I’ll pull my car up. I figured it would be easier to get into than your truck.” She briskly walked off to the parking lot and it was then it hit me, I wouldn’t be able to drive again. Perhaps never.

“Hey you okay?” Vanessa asked as my head seemed to drop and I got quiet.

“Yeah, just tired.” I lied and waited for Allayna to pull up. She came up to the curb, popped the trunk, Clark and her put the bags into back seat, and I went up to the passenger seat.

“I’ve got him,” Vanessa slightly pushed Allanya to the
side as Allanya was about to help my legs get over. She looked at me and backed away. I hung onto the, what I call the “oh-shit” handle on the car, and pulled myself over. Vanessa helped with my legs and then folded up my chair.

“Moving well there Carter.” Allayna said taking the chair and putting it into the trunk. We said goodbye to Clark, Vanessa sat in the back with the bags.

“Next stop, home.” I said and we headed on our way.