- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
What is everyone thinking right now of the story? It's been about 8 years since I've written!
The forty minute drive from the airport home was a lot longer than I remembered. Probably because my entire body felt like it had been stuffed in a suitcase for hours. I tried to talk to Allayna and find out what she had doing for the past two weeks, but just like her answers on the phone with me, it was just “stuff.”

So, to me, knowing my best friend, I was waiting for a giant surprise party pulling in. Little did I know, I was half right.

“There are quite a few cars parked around the house,” I said as Vanessa finished helping me into my chair.

“Yeah, I don’t know? Maybe your neighbors are having a party.” Allayna responded at ease pulling the two suitcases from the back and wheeling them to the front.

My house is rather large open ranch style beach house. The main floor, you walk right into and the basement which is full of music instruments and workout equipment; walks out to the beach. My dream home.

Allayna unlocked the front door and it wasn’t until I got inside, I realized the cement step up to the door frame was gone. It was flat from the walk way, through the door. As I was fully inside, yep you guessed it, the loud boom of “SURPRISE,” came from about a dozen people.

Thankfully, it was the guys, a couple siblings and close friends.

“You’re dead,” I smiled at Allayna and said through my teeth.

“You’re welcome,” she replied back put our luggage off to the side. “I have more surprises, after you say hello to your guests!” She laughed and I could only imagine and shake my head.

“You look great man,” Brian came over to me, hugging me, looked me over and hugged me again. I think I saw a tear in his eye. Aaron came over next. He definitely had tears in his eyes and his hug lasted a bit longer.

“I’m sorry I didn’t come see you in the hospital. I should’ve, I just-,” Aaron started and I pulled him away.
“It’s cool. You’re here now.” I told him and then began to make my rounds to say hi to everyone.

“We have your favorite pizza on its way for delivery. Now let me show you the rest of your surprise.” Allayna pushed my chair through the living room and kitchen. “I came back early not to just check on the houses.” She said.

“Obviously. “ I retorted.

“I wanted to make sure you came home and felt comfortable in your home. I also want you to know that everything I did is to help you but not hinder your spirits of where you need to get to.”

“I’m sort of following,” I replied but honestly had no idea what she was talking about. She then went on showing me the shelves in the refrigerator were lower so I could reach things, and dishes were moved lower so I could get them. There was a small ramp to the sink so I could do dishes myself but it didn’t stop there.
She had updated my bedroom, so that the box spring was much lower and I could get in and out of bed easier.

There was another small ramp in the bathroom to the sink, and a shower chair if you would call it in my, ever so thankful, walk in shower.

“Please know that I did this out to help you but no way believe you’ll need to keep everything this way forever.” She now was facing me as I looked around.

“You’re amazing, you know that?” I told her and took her hands in mine. “Come here,” I pulled her down and hugged her.

“You’re not mad?”

“Never. Just one question.”

“Yes?”

“You didn’t happen to install an elevator to get to the basement did you, to play my music?”

“Well, nothing like that. But there is a real walk way, not just stone and sand from outside down to the sliding glass doors. You’ll be able to get there easy.”

“Seriously?”

“Told you. I’ve been busy with ‘stuff’ past two weeks.” She grinned and then pushed me back out to where everyone was on the patio.

Drinks were going around, the pizza arrived and for the most part things seemed normal. It wasn’t until a couple hours later that my body was really starting to feel the plane ride and excitement. My lower back and even legs started to feel like they were seizing up.

“This is really great what you did for Nick, he’s lucky to have you as a best friend,” Brian was telling Allayna.

“Well, he’s done more for me than I could ever repay, so this is nothing.” She had a half smile on, something she did when she was either nervous or not confident. I decided to go up to her.

“Hey,” I said. “This party is amazing but I’m starting to get stiff. Could you find Vanessa for me, so she could get a couple of my pills?”

“Of course. She was talking to A.J. last I saw her. Do you want to go sit on the couch?” She put her beer down and now had more of a worried look on her face.

“Not yet. Thanks.” She stayed a moment longer before saying ‘okay’, and then went off to look for Vanessa.

“So, how are things with you and Vanessa?” Brian asked taking a seat in a chair next to me. I was thankful for that because I was starting to get annoyed looking up to everyone I talked to. “Last you told me, she wasn’t letting you breathe too well?”

“It’s okay. Sometimes I feel like she’s a nurse too much still. She thought I should be living in a physical therapy recovery place. She didn’t understand that being home is what I need.”

“I can get that. She cares for you, ya know?”

“I know.”

“She’s in love.” I nodded my head. “Do you love her?”

“Love? Yeah, I love her.” I said, maybe too casually.

“In love?” Brian pressed.

“What are you getting at Rok?”

“You’re just a little blind right now Nicky, that’s all.” He smirked, took a sip from his water bottle and nudged his head up.

“I heard you needed some pain killers?” Vanessa gave me
two small white pills and bottled water. “No drinking with these.” She reminded me of what the bottle read. “You should probably wrap this up and get some rest. Don’t you think?” She asked me, and again I felt like she was my nurse or worse; Mother.

“I’m fine,” I told her.

“Actually it’s probably a good idea,” Brian put his two sense in. “It has been a long day for you, and you’re starting to not look great. I’ll get everyone on their way without making it a big deal.”

“Okay thanks,” I told Brian in defeat. Vanessa was then pushing me towards the crowd before I got to say anything else. Just like Brian said, no one made a big deal and began to say their good-byes and ‘ see ya later’s.’

“Well, I think I got most of the garbage out. Paper products. Can’t beat em’,” Allanya came up to me a little while later. “I am going to head home, and let you enjoy your fist night back,” She wiggled her eye brow at me.

“Please, way too tired. And I don’t even know if possible…”

“Doctor said as long as-,” Allayna started and I cut her off.

“And goodnight to you too. I’ll talk to you tomorrow.” I started wheeling myself towards the front door.

“Welcome home Nick.” She hugged me and Vanessa goodbye before walking out the front door.