- Text Size +
After everyone had left the house and it were just Vanessa and I, I felt my medicine kick in and my body seemed heavier than ever.

“Glad to be home?” Vanessa asked as she helped me change into my pajamas.

“You have no idea.” I closed my eyes and let out a breath as I pushed myself over to the bed. The plane ride, the party, brushing my teeth and changing took everything out of me. It was a lot different than being in the hospital where I had a lot of help. “Is it really only eight pm?” I asked as she covered me up.

“It is. But it’s been a long day. I’m going to just go wash up. I’ve been waiting to sleep with you for a very long time.” Vanessa smiled, pecked my lips and got up and headed to the bathroom.

Something felt off being home. Okay, everything was off and nothing felt right. My heart fluttered, my stomach sank and immediately I felt myself start sweating. The blankets felt extremely heavy, and I felt too weak to take them off.

“Vanessa.” I called out, trying to push the blankets off. I could hear the water running in the bathroom. The flutters now began to pound and the room started to spin. I needed to lay down. Wait, I am lying down?

“Vanessa!” My hands went into fists and I could hear my rapid breathing. “VANESSA!” I screamed and she came running in.

“What is it?” She looked me over with anxious eyes.

“I-I can’t breathe. Get the blankets OFF!” She looked perplexed but did as I asked, pulling them down to my feet. “Take my sweats off.” And she pulled off my gray Under Armor sweats, carefully over my leg braces I’d be wearing for some time; which were a bit lighter than the casts I had on in the hospital, leaving me in my boxers.

“Nick you’re sweating.” She brushed my hair back. Yeah, no kidding. I thought. “Let me get some water and a cold wash cloth.” She hurried out of the room, and I looked over to my nightstand. My phone was charged in and was too far for me to reach. Okay, all I had to do was turn to my side a bit and reach it, but I still couldn’t move. I wanted nothing more than to be able to call Allayna.

“Here we go,” Vanessa said cheerfully, draping a cold wash cloth over my forehead, and helped me sip some water. I actually was already feeling better. “Do you think it’s a reaction from your pills?” She asked sitting on the side of the bed.

“I don’t know.” I sighed and closed my eyes. My heart had returned to normal beating, the room stopped moving on me.

“Do you need anything else?” She took my hand in hers. I shook my head no. She got up, turned the lights off and hopped in bed. “Goodnight Nick.” She whispered and both feel into a much needed sleep.

When I woke up the next day, it took me a minute to realize I wasn’t in the hospital. I knew I’d have to use the bathroom soon and I’ve learned from being in the hospital; not to wait too long. Vanessa was asleep next to me still and I rolled off to my side, pushed myself up and ignored the stiffness and soreness.

My means of transportation was next to me and I slid myself off the bed, into my chair. I used my arms to pick up my legs to follow.

“Need any help?” Vanessa interrupted me as I adjusted myself. I looked over to her, her eyes full of sleep, hair a mess and it was at that moment I remembered how cute she was.

“Just using the bathroom. I’ll be back in a bit.” I took my cell phone with me and wheeled myself into the main bathroom. After taking care of business, I went out to the living room and texted Allayna.

It was only seven am, but knew she would be up; working out.

“Morning.” I wrote. A minute later my phone buzzed.

“Good morning. How was your first night home in your bed? As amazing as you thought?!”

“Eventually after the room stopped spinning.”

“?”

“Just before bed, I got really hot. My heart was out of control, the room was spinning and I couldn’t breathe.”

“Okay, more detail than I need to know about you and Vanessa.”

“I’m serious. We didn’t have sex. It just happened out of nowhere.” There was a couple minutes before she responded.

“You okay now?”

“Yeah. How’s your workout?”

“Good. Just finishing up. Want me to bring breakfast?”

“Bagels and coffee?”

“You got it. Be there in an hour? Need to shower.”


I went to the refrigerator and grabbed a water bottle and then headed back into the bedroom where I could take my pain pills and see if Vanessa were awake. She liked to sleep in. Which I did too, however my body wouldn't allow that.

"Morning babe," she said as I wheeled into the room.

"Good morning." I went to my nightstand, opened the orange bottle and popped the top off. I tossed two pills into my mouth and chased them with water. "Allayna is going to bring breakfast over. Mind helping me in the shower?"

"Mmm, thought you'd never ask." She grinned and pushed herself up.

"Vanessa, I'm not sure I can...well ya know yet."

"Teasing Nick." She got out of bed. "What do you want to wear for the day? It's going to be warm."

"Probably just shorts a tee. Easier with the braces and all." She nodded and went to my dresser and pulled out clothe for me to wear. And then went to the closet wear the majority of her things were.

Between taking the leg braces off, getting into the shower on my special shower chair, showering, drying, dressing and putting my braces back on, it took me a good hour. I then shaved because I had more than just a scruff going on.

"Feel better?" Vanessa asked coming into the bathroom, wearing a pair of jean and a tank top. Her hair was still wet and fresh makeup was put on.

"Yes but also tired."

"Well, let's get you some breakfast. Allayna is out there." At Allayna's name, my head perked up. "Must be hungry. That's the first smile you've given all day."

I actually wasn't that hungry. The pain killers suppressed my appetite a bit. She pushed me out into the kitchen and I saw Allayna putting a spread out on the table.

"Good morning!" She smiled brightly and came over and gave me a hug. "You look much better today. Hope you're hungry. I have bagels, coffee, fruit and also made you a protein shake when I made mine this morning." My high top table had been replaced by a regular table which was a much better height for me to sit at. She pretty much thought of everything to help me feel more independent.

We sat down, or I just pushed myself to the table and we started eating. "When is your first day of PT?" Allayna asked pulling a sip from her extra-large coffee.

"Tomorrow at nine am. I should've made it later, I didn't realize how long it would take to shower."

"It will get easier baby, don't worry. Do you want cream cheese on your bagel?" Vanessa asked. I nodded and it was then I was feeling claustrophobic.

"What do you two have planned for today? It's gorgeous out!"

"No plans. What do you feel like Nick?" Vanessa handed me my bagel and I shrugged my shoulders. I felt Allayna's eyes on me, trying to read me like I knew she could.

"I think we should definitely be outside." Allayna took a big bite of her bagel, purposely getting cream cheese on her face and grinned. She knew I couldn't help but laugh. We played with some ideas of going to a park, the board walk, the outlet mall, staying here and using the pool which would be interesting. Finally after cleaning up, we decided to do the board walk, people watch and shop.


We loaded up in my car, since there wasn't any way I would get in Allayna's sports car and Vanessa had a huge SUV so getting in and out of that would be a bit much of work. Vanessa drove, Allayna sat in the back and I watched out of the passenger window. Allayna talked about the last time her and I had been here, and some crazy women found me. They were at least in their thirties but claiming their love for me.

Once we arrived, which was a short ten minute drive, Allayna pulled out my wheel chair, I tugged on my baseball cap over my sunglass eyes, and Vanessa opened my door.

"I got it," Vanessa's tone was a bit short as she took my chair from Allayna and went to my side. Allayna only smiled and I looked up at her and gave her a half smile.

We began walking along the board walk, enjoying the sun on our faces. It wasn't too busy yet, considering it was only quarter to eleven and on a Tuesday. Thursday through Sunday is usually packed.

"I forgot my sunglasses," Vanessa stated and headed over to the sunglass booth. You could always find sunglasses at any place here in California. She began to look through, trying on sunglasses, looking in the mirror. Allayna found some hats she was trying on and for some reason I couldn't keep my eyes off her. She then took off my baseball hat, and put on a huge cowboy hat on the top of my head.

"Hmm," she pressed her lips together. "Not bad Carter." She winked.

"Okay, what do you think of these?" Vanessa came over wearing a pair of sunglasses that looked just like any of the other ten pairs she owned.

"Nice." I said simply.

"I'm going to go pay for them,” she smiled and went to the cashier where there were two other people in line.

"What's up?" Allayna pushed my chair out of the hut and into the sun.

"Same as you." I shrugged.

"Nick."

"I need some you and me time." I said simply and she nodded her head. "Will you take me to PT tomorrow?"

"Of course. But is Vanessa going to be okay with that?"

"I don't care."

"Nick what's-"

"Alrighty! Let’s walk!" Vanessa came over, sporting her new glasses. As we walked, and I well, rolled, Vanessa talked about the weather and how beautiful the ocean was and I had to admit. I was longing to be on the beach and in the waves. Allayna walked next to me, and again, I was wishing it were just her and I. I needed some best friend time.

After checking a few other booths, getting a couple water bottles; we decided to head back now that the sun was up at high noon and we were warm.

"Swimming is good for your body after is been in an injury. I think it's a good idea." Vanessa said.

"Oh and you're going to pull me out of the water?" I asked.

"Well, Allayna is the masculine buff one. She can help." Vanessa was always making fun at how Allayna was like a body builder; a bikini competitor in the past and now a personal trainer. Allayna was definitely in shape, but nowhere near bulky or masculine. Her abs and legs were killer. The guys and I train with her a couple months before any big tour to help us get in shape.

"Ness, seriously?" I asked darting her a dirty look as we got back into the car. She looked at me and shrugged, I darted my eyes to Allayna who just had a smirk on her face. I knew she was used to people making comments, and from Vanessa a lot more.
The ride back to my house was thankfully quiet.
“Do you need a suit?” Vanessa asked Allayna, trying to make up from her comment earlier, and helping me into my chair.
“I always have one with me,” Allayna went to her car, pulled out a beach bag, which had a towel, more than one suit, sunscreen and a hat. We went inside, changed and headed to where my pool over looked the ocean. Allayna was already outside, taking the cover off, moving around in her black bikini. I knew better than to stare at her.

“AJ is coming over with Lee,” I spoke up.

“Oh good,” Allayna smiled and began applying sun screen on her fairly tan legs. “See these lounge chairs were a good idea to get with the umbrella in the back.” She opened the white umbrella and I pushed myself to it.

“Are you allowed to take your braces off or even allowed to swim?” Allayna asked, eyeing me.

“They didn’t say not to. Not like I can feel or move my legs anyway. They’re just there to keep the bones straight since I got the casts off. I’ll be floating anyway, not much swimming.” I shrugged and she nodded her head. “Let’s lay out and get warm,” I began to adjust myself to lay in the chair. Vanessa had gone inside to grab some drinks and snacks.

“Need help?” Allayna asked softly, approaching me. I looked at her, my eyes defeated. “It’s okay to ask for help Nick. It’s just your first day home.”

“Not used to that.”

“I know. I know.” She helped me over and then began to take off my braces gently. “You don’t want to have a funny tan line.” She joked. I put some sun screen on my face. “The scars on your legs aren’t too bad.” She ran her long finger across the red line in my right shin.

“You should see my back…I hear that’s a different story.” I tried to joke but was in all serious.

“No, it’s not that bad Nick. Time will fade it and it will be a memory of how strong you are.”

“Could you help with putting lotion on my back?” I asked.

“See you can ask for help!” She took the lotion and hopped behind me to apply it. “You and Vanessa okay?”

“Nothing feels right. I’m more annoyed with her around.”

“You don’t know why?” She rubbed my shoulders. That part of my body I could feel.

“No. I have to figure some things out.”

“Okay, I have some water with fresh lemon!” Vanessa came out, smiling, I know trying to ignore Allayna behind me.

“Perfect. Thank you.” Nick smiled.
An hour later, AJ and Lee had arrived. We were snacking on some veggie sticks, fruit and cold cuts. I really wanted a beer, but knew with my pain meds it wouldn’t have been a great idea.

“I’m hot.” I told Vanessa.

“Do you want to go inside?”

“No, I’d like to try the water.” I looked over to the pool where Allayna was floating on a raff. Sunglasses on, one leg stretched out, the other bent and fingers in the water.

“AJ, want to help me with Nick?” Vanessa called out and stood up from her lounge chair.

“Sure, what’s up?”

“He wants to go in the pool.”

“That a good idea there Nick?”

“It’s fine. I’ll just hold the inner tube and float around.”

“Alright.” AJ brought my chair, helped me into it and then pushed me to the ledge of the pool. “I could just dump you in.” He laughed.

“Don’t you dare Alex,” Lee announced. Allayna had swam over the ledge and pulled herself up.

“I’ve brought my masculine strength to help you,” she shot up her right impressive bicep and looked at Vanessa. “Let’s get him to the ground and he can just slip in then.” I put an arm around AJ and Allanya, they put their arms under my knees and as they lifted me up, Vanessa moved my chair and they sat me down. My legs dangled in the water. It was weird. I could feel coolness of the water, but not actually feel the water.

“Nice work,” Lee smiled. Allayna slipped back into the pool, holding the tube.

“Push up with your arms, and I’ll pull your legs and hips in.” Allayna said. I took a breath, winced with a bit of pain, felt AJ’s hands under my arms and helped me in. “Good?” Allayna whispered, as our faces were inches apart.

“Good,” I smiled. “Just don’t let go.”

“I’ll never let go Jack,” she laughed quoting Titanic.

“I wouldn’t trust her. She definitely let Jack go.” AJ laughed and did a cannon ball in the water.

Allayna with arm put the inner tube over my head and with both hands I held on. I tipped my head back, closed my eyes and enjoyed the sun on my face in my pool, which a week ago, I thought I’d never do. But with a little help of my friends, I knew I’d be okay.