- Text Size +
Two hours in the air, I was sick of it. I was too happy to be on the ground. Marcus called Brian letting him know that we were in Covington. He told us to go to the Embassy Suites, where he had us a hotel room for the night. He and the guys were running the rehearsal and sound check one more time.

We had the driver, Martin, to drive us to the hotel. We got out and walked in, checking in under Rok Ramirez—Brian’s got problems. I couldn’t help but to laugh at the name. We got our room, tonight I would stay with AJ and Baylee was going to be with Brian and Leighanne, so the suite itself was actually Marcus and Vanessa’s.

“Okay, the guys are going to stay there until the show. They’re going to eat there, they’re being catered, so we have an hour before we have to get there.” Marcus said, as we walked into the suite. I laid mine and Baylee’s bags on the king size bed.

There was a knock on the door, I walked to it and looked in the peephole and saw four familiar and beautiful faces. I opened the door quickly and squealed, hugging the four women tightly.

“Come in!” I exclaimed, pulling them in. Leighanne held me tightly, “I have to show yal something.”

“Hey ladies.” Marcus said, as Baylee sat on the couch and watched TV, not even noticing his mama there. “Bay you gonna say hey to the ladies?”

Baylee looked over his shoulder and smiled. He got up and ran to Leighanne, hugging her. “Hey mama, I’ve missed you.”

“I missed you, too, buddy. Go watch TV while Aunt Lay and us talk, okay?” She asked, hugging him tightly. He nodded and stalked back to the couch with Marcus.

“Ladies, this is Vanessa. She is Marcus’s girlfriend. Vanessa this is Leighanne, Leigh, Lauren and Kristin.” I said, introducing them.

“It’s nice meeting you ladies.” Vanessa said with a bright smile.

“It’s nice meeting you.” The girls said in unison.

“Okay, bathroom please.” I said, before I started walking to the bathroom. I grabbed the black box and turned to them. “I’m going to propose to AJ tonight after I surprise him.”

They gasped, looking at the ring, “This is beautiful.” Leighanne said with a teary smile.

“He’s going to die.” Lauren said, mesmerized.

“Where did you get it from?” Kris said, still in shock.

“I had it custom made through Jared. It’s black gold with the 10 carat black diamonds.” I said, looking at the ring.

“How much was this?” Leigh asked, looking at me.

“Seventy-five thousand.” I said as if it was nothing.

“Holy shit!” Vanessa exclaimed. I sighed happily and told them I had to get ready. Instead of them leaving, they stayed as I took a shower. They talked to Vanessa, getting to know her.

I started singing If You Want It To Be Good Girl to myself, then belted out loudly.

If you yes! And if you want to get it done, babe you gotta get the one; the one who’s got it going on. Oh, if you wanna make it last, gotta know just who to ask. Babe he’s gotta be that, that’s me my lady. If you want it to be good girl, get yourself a ba-a-a-d boy, that’s right. If you really want it good girl, gotta get yourself a bad boy; if you really want it, if you really want it, get it like it could be, would be, yeah like it should be if you want it to be good, gotta be like it should, if you really want it good.

I heard the girls laugh, I finished up in the shower and turned it off. I grabbed a towel and wrapped it around me. I grabbed an extra towel and started to dry off, then towel dried my hair.

As I finished, Leighanne went into the room and grabbed my bag. I grabbed the clothes I was going to wear and hung them against the door. “AJ is going to die, Lay.” Lauren said, wrapping her arms around me. “I’m so proud of you.” She whispered.

“Thank you Law. I hope he doesn’t die!” I exclaimed, making her laugh. I kissed her cheek, she sat on the counter beside me. I started on my makeup. Marcus told us we had thirty minutes until we left. I started my hair fixing to how I looked in the video.

After I finished my hair and makeup, I got dressed. I turned to the girls, “How do I look?” I didn’t get anything but gasps and silence. I bit my lip and looked over my appearance, I thought I looked okay. I sighed, “Is it that bad?”

“What? No! You are absolutely gorgeous, Lay!” Kris exclaimed, hugging me tightly. Marcus knocked on the door.

“Time to go.” He said, I breathed heavily and walked out of the bathroom; Marcus wrapped his arms around me. “You look beautiful.”

“Thank you Marc.” I said, hugging him tightly. I pulled away and held onto my jacket. The seven of us walked out of the hotel room and down to the elevator. We got in, pressed the L button for the lobby. Seconds later, Martin was in front of the hotel to get us. The girls, Marcus, Baylee and I got on the car. Martin pulled off for the Madison Theater. Fifteen minutes we arrived, pulling around the back with the buses.

Brian texted Leighanne and said we were in the clear and for us to go backstage. They were almost halfway through the first part of the show, and they had just changed for the second part. Brian’ phone started ringing. I smiled and walked behind the screen that the video was fixing to be played on. Q hugged me and handed me a mic.

“Oh, sorry about this. Seems like we are having technical difficulties. Looky here, seems like our Techy bugged my phone.” Brian started, Nick walked to him and looked.

“It’s Lay! Put her on the screen so everyone can see!” Nick exclaimed, as the video turned to the screen. I breathed lightly and smiled as the video played back.

"Hey Guys, yal are looking amazing! Can you hear me? " I paused for six seconds.

“Yeah, we can hear you!” The guys exclaimed, jumping around.

"Okay good. Hey everyone at the show, I know you're enjoying it! I won't take up much of your time, but I want to talk to AJ, so step up front and center, my love." I counted to ten.

AJ walked to the center of the stage, and looked up at the screen. I smiled and sighed happily.

“Hey Al,” I started, before singing, “I just want you to know!” I laughed lightly, “That I love you with all my heart. I hope you’re watching this. Ever since you came back into my life, I’ve been happier than I ever been. Ma and I were talking the other day, and she brought up our marriage when we were kids. I remember you being hell bound and determined about that.” I laughed, “We had your mama officiating it and everything. She drew up papers for us to sign; she still has those. She even gave me a copy of both for me to keep.” I grabbed the picture of him and I after we were ‘married’ and held it up, smiling widely.

I grabbed the paper we both signed and held it up—I started tearing up; “You are not only my boyfriend, you are my heart and my best friend… Don’t tell Brian. I love you Brian, Nicky, Kev, and Latin Lover as well, think no different, yal are my mens! Al, no matter what, no matter what our pasts were like, we were still connected in a weird way. We both went through the same things, but it takes us to come out on top. We can’t live in the past, we can only live in the present and make sure our future is us against the world. You’re my addiction, you’re what I yearn for day and night, even when you’re right beside me. I love you with all my heart, I hope you enjoy this. I found one thing for sure; you’re my safest place to hide.”
I wiped my fallen tears and took a deep breath. I grabbed my guitar and started playing the chords to Safest Place to Hide. I closed my eyes swaying to the chords,


I watched as AJ’s lip started quivering and tears falling from his eyes. The guys were tearing up as well.

Yeah, yeah; It seems like yesterday when I said "I do". And after all this time my heart still burns for you. If you don't know by now that you're my only one. Take a look inside me and watch my heartstrings come undone.

I know I promised you forever. Is there no stronger word I can use, to reassure you when the storm is raging outside; You're my safest place to hide


I blew him a kiss and stood up, walking away behind my phone and cut it off.


As the video went off, I counted to four and heard the band start up. The crowd roared as I walked out of the screen and started the chorus to Safest Place To Hide.

Can you see me, here I am. I need you like I needed you then. When I feel like giving up. I climb inside your heart I still find. You're my safest place to hide.

I sang walking down the center stairs to the stage. The guys were in tears and cheering. AJ stood there in pure shock as the tears fell from his eyes. The girls, Marcus and Baylee walked on the stage. I hugged AJ tightly against me, he cried in my shoulder. I pulled away and kissed him lovingly, then brought the mic to my lips. I grabbed his hand and walked down the small catwalk, the guys, girls and Baylee behind us.

You see colors no one else can see. In every breath you hear a symphony. You understand me like nobody can, I feel like my soul unfolding like a flower blooming.

When this whole world gets too crazy, yeah, and there's nowhere left to go. I know you give me sanctuary. You're the only truth I know. You're the road back home.

Can you see me, here I am. Standing here where I've always been. And when words are not enough. I climb inside your heart I'd still find. You're my safest place to hide
My safest place to hide, my safest place to hide.


I smiled as he wiped the tears away from his eyes. The music played lowly, allowing me to speak what I want to say.

“Are you surprised my love?” I asked, AJ nodded and smiled through his tears. I grinned and took my jacket off and handed it to Brian after I grabbed the ring out.

“I am, this is so amazing. I have so much I want to say.” He said, in his mic. I smiled and grabbed his hand.

“You know I love you with all my heart, Al. You make everything better in my life. I know that no matter what I can come to you. I know that you are my safest place to hide. We’ve been through so much over the years. Everything on that video I said, it was true. You are my whole wide world, and I thank God every day and night for you.” I said, leaning up and kissing him.

“I have a question for you.” I said, “I promise to be the best woman I can be for you. I promise you forever, I even done that when we were kids, and look where we are. I can’t promise you anything but forever, because I will spend forever loving you the way you deserve. Will you make me the happiest woman in the world, give me the chance to show you forever, and marry me?” I dropped on one knee and held the ring up to him. Tears fell out of both of our eyes, as well as the guys and girls.

He kneeled down and took the mic to his lips, and opened his hand, “Only if you marry me and allow me to show you forever.”

My eyes widened, I gasped and covered my mouth with my hand. I nodded repeatedly, and smiled through the tears. He grabbed my left hand and slid a beautiful ring. I took his left hand in mine and slid his on him.

We stood up, he pulled me in his arms and pressed his lips to mine. The crowd, guys, girls and Baylee cheered loudly for us. I pulled away, pressing my forehead against his. I put the mic to my lips, signaling the band to get ready. We swayed side to side with the beat.

I know I promised you forever. There's no stronger word I can use. To reassure when the storm is raging outside. You're my safest place to hide.

I kissed him once more, and grabbed his hand, and began to walk to the stage.

Oh! Can you see me, here I am. Standing here where I've always been. When I feel like giving up. I climb inside your heart I'd still find. Yeah, yeah; You're my safest place to hide, oh yeah. You're my safest place to hide.

As the song ended, he picked me up and spun us around. “This is the happiest day of my life.” He said in his mic. “This beautiful woman right here, Covington, is my one and only. She is my heart and soul and I love her more and more with each passing day. There is nothing, absolutely nothing, I wouldn’t do for her. She came back into my life and showed me how love was supposed to be.”

“I love you so much Al.” I said, pressing my lips to his.

“Everyone give it up for Lay and AJ!” Brian said in his mic. The crowd roared loudly. I picked Baylee up and kissed his cheek. He wiped my tears away and kissed my lips.

“My Auntie Lay and Uncle J are getting married!” He exclaimed, his voice filling the arena. I giggled and watched him wrap an arm around AJ’s neck, bringing him in to us. Everyone ‘awed’ making us laugh.

“While everyone is out here. I want to introduce the backbones of us guys.” Brian said, “This is my beautiful wife Leighanne and our beautiful son, Baylee.” He took Baylee from AJ and I.

“This is my beautiful wife Leigh,’ Howie said, hugging her.

“This is my beautiful fiancé Lauren.” Nick said, kissing her head.

“This is my beautiful girlfriend, Vanessa.” Marcus said with a smile as he hugged her.

“This is my beautiful wife Kristin.” Kevin said, hugging her.

“And this is my beautiful fiancé Madalay Jane Ramirez!” AJ announced in his mic. I smiled and pressed my lips to his. “Our ladies and Baylee, along with Marcus and his lady are going to sit on the center stairs for the rest of the show. Madalay will get up and dance as well.”

“No.” I said, but the guys and girls pushed the issue. I sighed and gave in. “Fine, old dance moves not the new ones.”

“Okay then. The old ones.” He said, looking down at me with a smile.

“I’m talking about this.” I said, looking at Terry on the drums. “Give me We’ve Got it Going On.”

He grinned and nodded, starting the beat. I brought the mic up to my lips, “Everybody groove to the music, everybody jam… Ahhh!” I sang, spreading out and doing the running man, like they did back years ago. “We’ve been waiting so long, just can’t hold it back no more.”

The crowd roared, as the guys whistled, “I think we can do that. What you guys think?” Brian asked, looking at the guys.

“Old bones.” I said, looking at them. They shook their heads and laughed.

“Okay, let’s do this! Lay you’re in front.” Kevin said, standing in the original formation, facing the band. As the band started back up. Howie turned, then Nick, then Brian, AJ and finally Kevin. We ran through the whole song doing the original routine.

As we finished, I bowed and hugged the guys before I made my way back to the stairs. They finished playing their set, leaving Everybody last. AJ looked at me, and called me with his index finger. Lauren, Vanessa and Leighanne pushed me onto the stage, I chuckled and walked between Brian and AJ.

The music started, I got lost in the dancing. I was having a blast. As the song finished, the guys and I bowed. The guys, girls, Baylee and I walked off of stage; AJ pulled me in his dressing room and pressed his lips to mine. I moaned into the bruising kiss, wrapping my arms around his neck. His hands cuffed my thighs and pulled me up, I wrapped my legs around his waist.

He walked us over to the black leather couch, and laid me on it, running his hands up my sides. I smiled against his lips and unbuttoned his shirt—I didn’t want to wait any longer. I ran my hands up his abdomen, to his chest and raked my fingernails over his pecks. He groaned, slipping my shirt over my head, and putting it on the coffee table.

I undid his belt, then his jeans. He reciprocated my actions and did mine as well, taking my shoes with them. He turned and sat on the couch, I crawled to him, straddling his waist, taking him fully in. I moaned loud, laying my forehead to his. I moved up and down against him, causing a loud groan from him.

He dug his nails into my hips, helping me as I grinded against him. I pressed my lips to his, taking his tongue in my mouth. He held me close to him, causing friction between us. “Oh god.” I moaned, throwing my head back, his lips attached to my neck, biting down hard. “Fuck baby!”

“God damn Angel.” He groaned out, thrusting his hips to meet mine. I breathed heavily, wrapping my arms around his neck and laying my forehead on his sweaty hair. I felt the ball of fire burn in my abdomen.

“I’m so close.” I whispered, kissing his head. He nodded, biting the skin that covered my collarbone. With four more thrusts, he sent me over the edge. I called out his named as he filled me with his seed. I laid my head on his shoulder, trying to catch my breath.

“I’ve missed you so much.” He whispered, kissing my shoulder.

“I’ve missed you, too.” I replied, turning my head and kissing his jaw. I wrapped my arms around his waist and sighed happily. “Did I surprise you?”

“I did, I do want to see what you wanted to show me, though.” He said with a small chuckle, I sat up and giggled.

“You were worried about putting the ring on my finger to even notice my newest tattoo.” I said, holding my left hand out in front of me. He cupped my fingers with his and smiled, running his thumb over the King crown with AL under them, in the traditional tattoo lettering.

“I love it.” He said, “I want one.”

“Okay.” I said with a smile. He pulled me to him once more and hugged me tightly. For five we minutes sat there in each other’s embrace. I kissed his neck once more before I slid off his lap, and handed him his shirt. I put my clothes and stood up, then pulled him up.

“You’re here for good right?” He asked, I smiled and nodded.

“You got me until the end of time.” I said, wrapping my arms around his neck. He smiled, circling my waist his arms.

He pressed his forehead to mine, “That’s all I want. Forever and a day, with you.”

“That’s what you’ll get.” I said, pressing my lips to his with a loving and needy kiss. He and I walked out the dressing room, meeting everyone in the hall. He and I walked hand in hand down the hall and out the back of the theater.

“I love you Mada.” AJ whispered as we got in the limo to go back to the hotel.

“I love you, Al.” I whispered in reply, kissing his hand. I smiled to myself knowing that everything was going to be fine; I had my family along with my best friends and fiancé by my side.