- Text Size +
Kevin smiled as they boarded the ship, they were escaping. He felt bad leaving his people in the state they were currently in...with Sienna’s army rounding anyone up that still resisted her. Thankfully he wasn’t dealing with that. He watched Nick help Brian into the ship they managed to get to, happy that the worst was over. Now it was up to him to get to the next destination...wherever that was.

“Brian, are you feeling okay?” Nick asked tentatively as he helped him into the ship. Brian did not look good after his ordeal in the infirmary, his face pale and sweaty.

“Don’t worry about me. We need to get out of here before she finds out we are leaving.”

The truth was, Brian felt very far from okay but he didn’t want to worry Nick because it would only make things worse than they already were. He looked at his cousin and wanted to call him out so badly for what he was about to do. Kevin was definitely not on their side and he knew it, but if it helped them escape Sienna he was willing to deal with the repercussions. Maybe there would be time to change his mind…..


“Okay, I think we are all set. Everyone strapped in?” Kevin asked once they were safely on the ship and ready to go. Brian wasn't sure if he felt up to flying but he was going to try.

“Ready.” he said softly, flicking the switches in front of him to initiate takeoff.

Taking off was the easy part but once the ship had lifted off the ground they were being shot at from behind.

“They're right on us… I don't know how we are gonna get out of here!!!” Brian shouted, trying to avoid taking a hit. The ship shook violently and rocked as Nick was trying so hard not to panic. It was hard to keep his own emotions in check for Brian's sake.

“I’ll go up and start shooting, just concentrate on getting the fuck away!” Kevin yelled. He disappeared from the cockpit and up the stairs, leaving Brian and Nick alone. Brian could Nick’s uneasiness the whole time. His own anxiety was not mixing well with Nick’s feelings and it was making him feel nauseous.

“Brian, where are you taking us?” Nick asked. He knew there wasn’t really anywhere on Earth for them to go and noticed that Brian was steadily trying to break free of the atmosphere.

“Anywhere but here.”


The ship rocked from another impact and dust fell from the ceiling above them.


“I don’t know. I don’t know anything anymore. I just want to go home….” Nick said softly. He sighed and sat down across the cockpit from Brian, folding his arms. It had just occurred to him that they’d probably be on the run for the rest of their lives and would never be able to go home. As long as Sienna wanted them they could never truly be safe. This made him very upset and Brian could sense it. He sensed Nick’s disappointment and the cold washed over him, making him shudder. He hated that he was so in tune with him sometimes, and this was one of them.

“Nick, I don’t think that’s possible…” Brian shouted through gritted teeth, pulling on the steering mechanism in front of him. He was having difficulty flying with all the crossfire and shaking, not to mention Nick and his emotions screwing with his own. He sometimes wished that he’d never met Nick at all.

“Brian…”

Brian did not answer, he continued to try and steer, the ship shaking again.

The shaking got more intense and violent as the ship moved up and up through the Earth’s atmosphere. Looking through the clouds, they finally broke and the starry sky was in front of them. They’d done it. Brian punched some more buttons and they saw Earth below, spinning as if they’d never spent any time on it. Being on Earth felt like an eternity but Brian was secretly glad they left. The question now was, where would they go? His only family that was stil alive was Kevin and he couldn’t trust him at all.

“Brian, where are we going?”

“I don’t know.”

Nick scoffed so loud it made Brian turn around.

“Why do you keep asking me that?”

“Because, I keep not knowing.” Nick reasoned. They heard footsteps coming down the stairs and knew Kevin was returning. Brian really wanted to be alone with his cousin to find out exactly what his plans were without upsetting Nick any further. He could feel himself getting sick already.

“Well, we can’t stay in space forever. What will happen when our fuel runs out, and we have no more supplies?” Nick asked as Kevin came back downstairs. The gunfire had stopped and they were safe...at least for now. Brian left Nick’s question unanswered and Nick was getting more irritated by the second.

“That was a close one, huh guys?” Kevin laughed, sitting down in the spare chair in the corner. He could see the tension between his cousin and Nick and he loved it. The further they were driven apart, the better. Sienna would be pleased.

The ship rocked from another impact and dust fell from the ceiling above them in reply.

“Well, where to?” Kevin asked casually. This was something Brian had not planned on, because he did not know of any place they could go that Sienna’s planet had not invaded. Her army was everywhere in the inner solar system. Since most of the outer planets were not inhabited, they would likely have to travel to another galaxy if they truly wanted to get away and feel safe. With Kevin along, he knew chances of that were slim to none.

“Any suggestions, cousin?” Brian said, although he knew he would regret asking his cousin for advice on directions. He knew for a fact something was wrong but couldn’t place his finger on it just yet. Only time would tell.

“It’s a long shot but when I was in the underground village, acting as leader...I did hear of a secret base on the Moon. I don’t know how true that is. One of my friends was running it as a way to preserve any of the human race that we could. They’re hiding in the old Moon settlement in the Sea of Tranquility. We could try there before we make any decision to leave the system entirely. Finding another human settlement outside of our system would be extremely rare..” Kevin said.

Brian looked at him with narrowed eyes, how was it possible that Sienna had no idea of the Moon settlement? He also thought about the underground settlement and how she had supposedly not known about that either. None of this made any sense and it sent up a bunch of red flags. He could sense Nick thought the same but he did not want to go against his cousin, his only family he had left.

“So why can’t we go back to Earth or something? Why the Moon? I just want to go home. Come on, Brian. We could find our old place, I’m sure of it.” Nick protested.

“Nick...even if we tried doing that, we would be shot down as soon as we enter the atmosphere again. It’s way too risky. No, I think going to the Moon is going to help us. We can see my friend who lives there, he’s definitely going to help.” Kevin smiled.

Nick pleaded with his eyes but Brian shook his head.

“Sorry, I think Kevin might be onto something.”

Nick looked angry and the cold from him being depressed was now replaced with fire. Hot anger surged freely, better than when Nick was calm. Brian felt a headache immediately.

‘I can’t fucking believe you. You’re really falling for this shit?” Nick whispered through gritted teeth. Brian dropped his voice as well.

“Nick, in case you haven’t noticed we have no other options. It’s either go back to Earth and be killed or-“

“Or stay out here and die? Brian, I don’t give a shit where we go. This doesn’t feel right to me and you know it. So why pretend?” Nick said.

“He’s family. You wouldn’t understand…”

“Are you saying that because I’m an orphan? Fuck you, Brian. Fuck you both. Go to the Moon then. Go and get us fucking killed because I honestly don’t give a shit anymore. I wish I’d never woken up. At least I was not lied to all the time and I was still happy!!” Nick shouted before storming out of the cockpit.

“That’s not what I meant….” Brian called after him, but Nick was already gone.

“What’s wrong with him?” Kevin muttered, moving to Nick’s now vacant chair and watching the monitor in front of him. Brian punched in some coordinates and sighed, he hated feeling NIck be upset.

“I don’t know what you’re up to, but I hope it’s worth it.” Brian said to his cousin before turning away. Kevin sat there in silence, looking out the window at the starry sky and smiled.

It would always be worth it.