- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Winding up part one...let's see what you think and where you think it should go. I have ideas, but I'd love your thoughts. :)
Seeing Ghosts
Chapter 18
By Dottie
Copyright 2015

Kevin is standing by the building as the plane touches down. He waits impatiently for it to taxi to a stop nearby. When the door opens and the stairs lower he starts walking toward the plane. He stops when he sees Nick clear the doorway, helping his wife step out into the cold Kentucky sunshine.

She looks up and sees Kevin waiting and her tears start to flow. Nick helps her down the steps and then lets her go, his heart nearly bursting with happiness as Kevin wraps his arms around Elena.

Ignoring the throbbing pain in her broken arm, she clings to him sobbing. He holds her close, pressing his cheek to her temple. "Shh, don't cry mi amore...I'm ok. We're all ok."

She pulls back enough to look up at him. Using her good arm, she touches his face gently. "Oh Kevin...I...I love you so much. When I thought you were dead...I was empty."

He brushes her hair back from her face and whispers "Don't...Baby, don't think about it." He lowers his face to hers and kisses her softly. When their lips part, tears are streaming down both their faces. He whispers softly, "It's over Elena. Welcome home."


Jenn had arranged for a limousine to take them back to Kevin's house. They were going to let Kevin and Elena have some time alone, but both insisted everyone ride together. Once in the car, Elena curls up next to Kevin. He holds her close to his side and looks at his friends. "I don't know how I can ever thank you...all of you...for taking care of Elena while I was in the mountains. Especially you Nick."

Nick blushes and says, "Shut up Kevin."

They all laugh. Elena murmurs softly, "I want to thank you for coming to get me Nick. I was so happy to see a familiar face."

AJ throws his arm around Nick and squeezes his shoulder tightly. "That's our hero." As they all laugh, AJ kind of sobers up, but the smile never leaves his face. "Listen, in case any of us forget to say it later...Kev...it's good to have you home...and see you happy."

Jenn wipes her eyes. "AJ's right. The last few years we all knew something was getting you down. We didn't know how to make it better."

Kevin kisses Elena's forehead. "I knew Elena was safe...but I missed her. I could never stop missing her or loving her. And it was killing me that I couldn't tell any of you about her."

Elena sits up quickly. "What about Grant? He got away."

Jenn folds her arms. "We're working on hiring extra security. We're running background checks now with the help of the FBI. Until the new teams are in place, local off duty police officers and the Marshal Service will help with protection." She smiles at Elena. "I promise you and your children will be safe."

Elena sits back and whispers, "I didn't think I'd ever be able to feel safe again."


When they get to Kevin's house, Howie and Brian come out onto the porch. Brian is carrying Sophie and Howie has DJ on his shoulders. Both are bundled up against the cold winter air.

When Elena sees them laughing, with DJ pulling at Howie's ear, she sobs in relief. Kevin hugs her close. "Sweetheart...let's go see the kids."

When Sophie and DJ see Elena climb from the car, their squeals of delight makes all the grownups start to cry. Howie and Brian put the kids on the ground and watch through their tears as Elena drops to her knees on the cold ground and manages to pull them against her chest in a tight embrace.

Kevin kneels beside them as everyone else goes into the house. Elena kisses each of her kids and whispers, "Mama missed you so much!"

Sophie clings to her mother's neck but DJ pulls back. He reaches out and grabs the strap of sling, confused about why her arm doesn't work. Kevin kneels and pulls DJ against his chest. "Mama has a boo boo."

DJ's brow furrows. "Boo boo Mama?"

She smiles at him tenderly. "It'll be ok DJ. Mama's ok."

DJ bends over and places a gentle kiss on her cast. "Better Mama?"

She bends closer and kisses his cheek. "Yes DJ, that makes it all better."

His big, toothy smile makes her cry. He falls against her. “Mama sad.”

She manages to whisper, “No…Mama’s happy. SO very happy.”

Kevin gently pulls DJ and Sophie away from Elena. “Let’s help Mama get into the house. It’s cold out here.”

Kevin lifts Elena from the ground, placing her gently on her feet. DJ reaches for her hand to walk with her as Kevin scoops Sophie up against his chest. She reaches for Elena crying. “Mama!”

Kevin tries to soothe her. “Mama’s not leaving. We’re going to go in the house and then you can both see Mama ok?”

Elena leans against Kevin as he slides his arm gently around her waist to guide her into the house. DJ lets go of her hand and runs to the porch, clamoring up the steps. Elena turns to see Sophie staring at her with tears falling down her soft cheeks. She holds out her hand. “Come here Sophie.”

Kevin helps Elena get Sophie on her good arm. “I can carry her.”

Elena looks up and smiles. “It’s ok. Let me. I need…I need this.”

He smiles and wipes her tears. “Welcome home Mama.”


Once they are inside and everyone has had a chance to give Elena a hug, everyone leaves to give Kevin and Elena some much-needed time with their children. Sophie and DJ seem rather subdued and cling to Elena. Kevin sits close by, watching her. She can’t seem to take her eyes off the children.

He turns on cartoons and waits. DJ climbs down first and grabs his stuffed crocodile, still his favorite, and a blanket. Kevin watches Elena as she stares at DJ, amused by his independence. He carefully spreads out the blanket before stretching out on it, using his crocodile for a pillow.

Sophie sits a bit longer with Elena before carefully sliding off her mama’s lap. She toddles over to the side chair and grabs a stuffed bear before lying down beside DJ on the blanket, using her bear as a pillow. Elena watches them intently.

Kevin slides closer to her and puts his arm around her. When she turns her gaze to his, he whispers, “Are you ok?”

She nods before laying her head on his shoulder and letting her eyes fall back on her kids. “Yeah. I just…I never thought I’d see them…or you…again.”

He squeezes her shoulder. “It’s all over now Elena. You’re back where you belong.” Her broken arm is against his side. She ignores the pain as she turns and grips his shirt, burying her face in his neck to cry. He wraps his other arm around her and whispers, “I’ve got you Baby.”

DJ looks up at Kevin and Elena. “Mama?”

Kevin smiles down at his son, taking note that Sophie is fast asleep. “Mama’s ok DJ. You wanna go get in bed and take a short nap?”

DJ stares at him intently and Kevin thinks he’s going to have a tantrum. Instead DJ shakes his head and lies back down. “No, Daddy.”

Kevin laughs. “OK, but be quiet and let your sister sleep.”

Elena sniffles and pulls away from Kevin, watching DJ pull the corner of the blanket up over his sister before lying back down to watch the cartoon. Elena turns to Kevin and touches his face. “I love you.”

He smiles, covering her hand with his and turning his head to kiss her palm. “I love you.”

They snuggle together and watch their children. Elena says a prayer of thanks, knowing it was God that kept her family alive…and brought them back together. God and an angel named Maggie Parker. She promises herself that she will one day thank the woman that saved her family. She closes her eyes and inhales Kevin’s scent. She’s finally home.
Chapter End Notes:
Let me know! :)