- Text Size +
Chapter 10 – In His Favor

Summer continued to thrash as several burly CAPPA workers hurled her into a thickly padded room. Blood smeared on the wall from Summer’s wound hitting against it, causing Summer immense pain. She screamed rough profanities as Jamelet was quickly ushered in. Jamelet had remained silent through the whole ordeal. Her face was pale with shock as she simply collapsed against the soft wall. Next, Ana was pushed roughly into the room, causing her to fall forward on the soft padded carpet. Ana lay on her stomach, listening to Summer continue to shout profanities, finding herself somewhat shocked. Things had happened so suddenly and Ana couldn’t find the emotions to react with as the door slammed shut against them.

“Why didn’t you blast them with some kind of ice?!” Summer screamed toward Ana. She pushed herself up against the wall, preparing to lunge out at the younger woman. Ana sensed the danger and quickly rolled onto her back, pushing her feet up to block Summer’s kicks. Ana’s hands had been handcuffed like the other women, leaving her useless to defend herself except with her legs. “How could you just sit there! You could have taken care of all of them! Damnit, Ana! First putting us in some trashy hotel, then you let us get captured by CAPPA! If we had stayed at Nick’s house, none of this would have happened! It’s like you planned the whole damn thing! What’s wrong with you?”

“Get off my case! It’s not my fault!” Ana growled, pushing as hard as she could with her powerful legs. With the burst of force, Summer went falling backwards onto the padded floor. She bounced, trying to get back to her feet.

“You ungrateful little brat!” Summer cursed, struggling to stand.

“Summer! Stop it!” Jamelet demanded angrily, not liking Summer’s attitude. She knew that when Summer became frustrated or angry, her mouth would become uncontrollable. She feared that Summer might say something to make Ana take arms against them.

“No, I have a right to speak!” Summer hollered, finally standing on her feet. She towered overtop of Jamelet, who sat slumped against the wall. Summer’s eyes turned dark as her sweaty blonde locks toppled over her shoulders. She was tired of doing what Jamelet decided. It was time for her to speak. “I blame this on you and Ana! Jamelet, we were finally rid of CAPPA for the final time, then you decided we needed to keep Ana. You came up with that stupid lie that her mother died! Her mother is quite alive and we shouldn’t be held responsible for that selfish child! That woman should have taken control of Ana a VERY long time ago! We shouldn’t have taken her in! But, with your stupidity, you made me lie to the brat and say that her mother died! Now, you threw us in CAPPA once again because you had to raise Ana! Thanks a lot, Jamelet! Thanks a freaking lot!”

“SHUT UP, SUMMER!” Jamelet screamed, knowing that the damage was already done. She looked toward Ana’s still body, fearing the worse. Ana was still lying on the floor, absorbing all the new information that had been brought to her attention. She was fighting the new anger rising against her soul. Her skin began to turn dark blue, waiting for the right moment to explode, but Summer didn’t seem to notice, instead she continued to belittle and rave about Ana’s incompetence and Jamelet’s stupidity for taking her under their wings.

“My mother isn’t dead?” Ana asked quietly, allowing the temperature to drop dramatically in the room. She concentrated on the handcuffs that linked her arms behind her back. Before Jamelet or Summer could make an excuse, the handcuffs shattered into tiny fragments of ice. They each became silent as Ana glared at them. “Jamelet, you lied to me? Didn’t you?”

“Ana, it’s not what it seems like…” Jamelet hesitated.

Before Ana could reply, the heavy metal door slammed open. Summer and Jamelet gasped as several soldiers pushed through the door, aiming their weapons upon them. Ana whirled and raised her hands to the men’s chest level in preparation to release her penned frustrations against the wicked men. However, a thick man’s voice booming for the men to drop their weapons caused Ana’s icy blue skin to tingle with knowingness. Immediately, a tall figure burst through the series of men, screaming angry profanities. He thrust his hands in wicked gestures while screaming, “I WANTED THESE WOMEN TO BE BROUGHT HERE UNDER PEACEFUL TERMS! YET! YOU DISOBEY ONCE AGAIN! I SHOULD HAVE ALL OF YOU THRONE INTO JAIL FOR THIS! THESE WOMEN HAVE BEEN HARASSED AND MISTREATED! IF THEY FEEL THREATENED IN ANY WAY I WILL PERSONALLY SEE TO IT THAT YOUR HEADS ARE FRAMED ON MY WALL!”

Ana let her hands fall to her sides as she heard the man dismiss all of the men in a rough manner. She narrowed her eyes, taking in the man’s features as he turned to gaze at her. His dark eyes sparked with remembrance as he gazed deeply into Ana’s sapphire-emerald orbs. His dark curls fell gently against his forehead as his cheeks caved into matching dimples from a dashing smile. His lightly tanned skin radiated underneath the lighting. He looked to be about six foot and two inches, towering over Ana’s five foot and eight inch frame. His large hands reached out to grab Ana gently by the shoulders, causing the blue in Ana’s skin to dissipate to the familiar creamy pale tone.

“Coby?” Ana whispered in utter amazement.

“Of course, Dear! I told you that I would always come back for you,” Coby whispered back in her ear, grinning at the dark blush exploding against her cheeks. He glanced up to the two guards who still stood beside him as protection. “Hill and Franklin, remove the handcuffs off of the other two women.”

“Yes sir,” they barked, hurrying over to the other women. Jamelet sighed with relief as the cuffs were released from her aching wrists. She finally noticed that there was blood seeping from her leg. She winced, knowing why she refused to stand. Summer’s arm was also bleeding from a gunshot wound. Jamelet held onto her leg as Ana continued to stare at Coby with amazement.

“Jamelet and Summer,” Coby finally asked, causing both the women to gaze at him. He offered a handsome smile of assurance. “I hope that my guards did not worry you. I asked them to come to you on a caring level, because I simply wanted to visit with Ana for the time being. I have seen her name in the papers and whatnot and wanted to catch up on old times. Forgive the company, but they do not wish to harm you. I hope that you will accept my apologies and allow my doctors to attend to your wounds?”

“Of course,” Jamelet answered quietly, still not knowing the angle being presented.

“Good, Franklin, take the ladies to get cleaned up. While that is being done, I will take Ana with me. I would like to show her the grounds since I have taken over the CAPPA Industries. Ana, would you care to join me?” Coby asked politely, holding out his arm for Ana to take if she wished.

“I would love to,” Ana answered, giving Summer and Jamelet one more frosty glare before disappearing with Coby. Jamelet slumped against the padded wall with fear. Something about Coby didn’t add up completely. And her heart ached knowing that Ana had been hurt and there was probably no way of fixing the destruction with Coby interfering with Ana’s heart.

*~*~*

Ana was in complete awe as Coby ushered her into his luscious apartment complex that was attached to the CAPPA industries. She had spent hours under his wing while he showed her the entire works behind the new CAPPA. Ana felt secure when Coby talked about his plans and dreams. Coby had been completely honest with Ana from the start. She sighed happily as he sat next to her and offered her a soda. She knew that Coby wouldn’t abuse her trust, because he had experienced the same things.

“Thank you for showing me around,” Ana told Coby happily as she took a large gulp of her soda. Her sapphire-emerald eyes sparked with amusement as Coby studied her. She knitted her light eyebrows together, knowing that Coby was in intense thought. She had spent so many years with him locked in the basement of CAPPA. She was still amused that she could read his body language and thoughts after all the time spent away from each other. “Coby, what’s the matter?”

“I’m just amazed that you’re so perky after those doctors lied to you,” he whispered softy, running his hand against her thick honey curls. She shivered, sitting back on the soft white leather couch. Her heart was still sour at Jamelet and Summer. She didn’t want to believe that her mother was still alive. Why would the girls lie about such an important issue in Ana’s young life? Ana let out a pained sigh again with frustration of the because of the betrayal, feeling Coby touch her cheek lightly with his fingers. “I’m sorry that they hurt you again, Ana.”

“I don’t think they meant to hurt me like they intended… I mean, Coby, they do have a point about keeping me around. They don’t want to be back at CAPPA anymore. They feared CAPPA since the very beginning. They risked their lives making sure I got out okay and all… I guess I should have left again when I had the chance. I shouldn’t have bothered them, you know?”

“They have nothing to fear from CAPPA now, Ana,” Coby assured with a handsome smile. He reached out and brought her pale hands into his hands. She glanced at him with surprise, causing Coby to laugh. “I always enjoyed having you near my side. Do you really think that CAPPA is going to hurt you again? Didn’t I always promise you in those horrid tanks that I would take care of you?”

“You remember?” Ana asked in an awed tone.

“I never forgot that spicy personality you had. You gave all the doctors a run for their money. It made me proud to know I had a connection with your free spirit. I always remembered you, no matter where I went.”

“Where did you go when Cyrus pulled you away that night? And how did you get control of CAPPA?” Ana pondered.

Coby’s eyes turned a deadly black as he released her hands. He stood up, walking to the large picture window in his living room. He stared out at the thick ocean waves crashing against the decks of CAPPA. His face frowned with a tight grimace. Ana stood up, walking over to him. She rested her hand against his thick shoulder for support. Coby’s shoulders sag as he took a deep breath. “Ana, my father was Cyrus. He did testing on me when I was younger, causing me to have those powers that I always showed you. That night I left, he dragged me away because he was furious that I couldn’t control my abilities. He threw me into an asylum, proclaiming that I was insane. I spent many years in a padded cell, going completely mad.”

“Coby, I am so sorry!” Ana gasped.

“I know, me too. I never wanted to part with you, even if we were locked in those metal prisons… But, then, I was released from the asylum when my father died. It seems that the company was put into my name and I vowed to create a new CAPPA. I refused to have the experiments captured for my own delights. I simply wished them well. I’m hoping to create some kind of cure for those who wished to change themselves. But, I wouldn’t want to change myself. Ana, the power I have is what makes me an individual–”

“Coby! I feel the same way!” Ana gushed with amusement. She was so thrilled that she had finally found someone who she meshed so well with. Howie would sell his powers in an instant if given the chance.

“You do?” Coby asked wryly.

“Of course!”

Coby immediately rushed to her, picking her up and whirling her tightly in his arms. He kissed her cheek, causing her cheeks to blush with a furious fire. Coby smirked, crushing her small form against him. “Ana! I knew that you would feel the same as I do! We were almost identical during those years. That’s why I wanted to come and find you. I assure you that Jamelet and Summer are currently resting in their fabulous rooms. But I am offering you a chance to live with me in this apartment. I find myself so lonely without you. Please, will you stay at CAPPA and help me rebuild? We can make it a short stay or a permanent stay, whatever you decide. However, I need you at my side at least for a little bit. Let me help ease your pains of being burned by so many others. Please?” Coby begged softly.

“I’d love to stay,” Ana decided hastily. She no longer cared what Summer, Jamelet, Natalie, or the men thought about her decisions. She would live for herself. Summer and Jamelet would no longer have to care for her. She would do what she pleased. If they wanted to part wayws, so be it, but she was staying.

“Beautiful,” Coby rejoiced, kissing Ana’s cool cheek. “Let’s go downstairs and show each other how our powers have grown in our years apart.”
~**~

**~To Be Continued...~**