- Text Size +
“Termination of Sanity”

**~Deceitful Smiles~**

Summer whimpers in pain as the orange medication smeared over her open wound in her arm glistens. She clutches her arm protectively and glares at Jamelet.

“Oh come off it already.” Jamelet grumbles as she gently wipes away a trail of the dark crimson liquid that rolled down her leg.

“Oh that’s right. I can’t be mad, cause you think you did the right thing taking in Ana.” Summer mumbles quietly, her sarcasm evident in her voice.

“Just forget her for a moment. Doesn’t this whole thing with that man Coby seem a little freaky?” Jamelet asks, raising her dark eyebrows at her partner.

Summer sighs aggravated and stares at the large solid white room which seemed vacant with furniture except for the two medical metal tables that they were sitting on across from one another. The harsh yellow lights splash down on them as they continue their discussion.

“Coby? Oh that guy huh? Who knows and personally who cares? The way I see it, she probably had a little fling with the guy and now wants to make it up to him. In fact I think she’s in on this whole mess. Think about it Jamelet. How did CAPPA find us so fast? Plus the fact that that this Coby dude seems to a have fascination with our little Ana, I don’t know but I think we were set up.” Summer growls.

“Shut up. Ana’s not in with them. She couldn’t be. We took her in cause her mother wouldn’t take her under her custody. She feared Ana, heck I understand, I’d be freaked out to have her as my daughter but I care for her unlike her mother. She’s like a little sister to me and I couldn’t leave her alone.” Jamelet whispers thoughtfully, the corners of her eyes smiling at the soft memories of when Ana brought laughter to the girls during their living in Florida.

Summer sighs and finally smiles at her partner, “You always did have a soft heart for her. That’s why you make a great doctor…”

“I’m not a doctor.” Jamelet corrected Summer, interrupting her. “I was close to becoming one but after CAPPA and my dad’s death. I’m not much for working in the medicine field at the moment.”

“But you will be.” Summer grins, her soft golden locks swept up into a messy ponytail.

“Na, maybe. Who knows? I’m just not up to the whole thing right now. As for Ana, she’s a special girl. And even if she screws us over, at least I can say I tried to change her life and give her some form of happiness.”

Summer slides off the medical table and crosses over to her friend: the silent quietness clothes the atmosphere of the room, “I’m sorry I overreacted like that. That was out of line and if Ana truly wants to help us out then she will and if she holds it against us then well I guess we better find a way to defend ourselves.”

Jamelet raises her head to focus on Summer who stood in front of her with a smile on her gentle pale face. Jamelet gives a quick nod and Summer giggles, extending her hand out:

“So I say we apologize and start all over again. What do you say?” Summer beams, her emerald orbs glimmering happily in the harsh lights.

Jamelet extends her hand and both shake on it, “K. Hi, I’m Jamelet. What’s your name?”

Summer laughs and nods her head, understanding where her partner was heading with this, “Great. I’m Summer. How did you get stuck in this room?”

Jamelet snorts lightly and shakes her head, “It’s crazy. Quite a long story.”

Summer leans on the table end and smiles, “Well I’m willing to hear all about it. I think we have plenty of time for it.”

Jamelet shakes her head jokily and giggles, “You’re right about that girl.” And both sigh, staring in silence at the only other noise in the room: The ticking of the golden clock’s hand, moving slowly inside its circular black case on the wall.
~*~

“What do you mean you don’t know what happened here?!” Shrieks Brian at the security guard of the hotel where the girls were staying.

“Sir, just like I said. The side of this building was blasted down with a bomb. I was told an army was here to hunt down some people. But I wouldn’t know: it’s too vague. I wasn’t in here when the attack happened.”

A.J. nervously passes his fingers through his hair while Kevin inhales deeply.

“And you weren’t in here because?” Howie plagued the man, hoping he can find some answers though they all knew that CAPPA was behind all this devastation.

“My shift didn’t start a little after a quarter to ten. So I got here after whatever happened occurred. Look if you guys are worried that maybe somebody got hurt then I can’t help you. Maybe you can ask Johnny, he had the nine o’clock shift, I’m sure he saw the whole thing.” The young security man states wearily.

Kevin stares at the man intensely and breaks his gaze when Nick’s voice interrupts him.

“So I’m guessing this was Johnny.” Nick murmurs, holding the clothe arm of a corpse from a burned man, the charred remains of what was the skull. Its deadly gaze reflected the horror and torment the body must have consumed during its final moments. Nick managed to have found the corpse buried beneath the large chucks of plaster and cement that could have fallen on the man during his watch. The smell of burnt flesh and death lingered in the air softly.

The young security cries out in horror and steps closer to the corpse, kneeling down to get a closer look at the blue blazer that the dead body had on. Pulling the rest of the burned body out from underneath the mounds of materials, he nervously kneels down looking for some form of identification. The man tugs on the golden pin attached to the breast pocket of the corpse and yanks it off, the name ‘Johnny’ clearly printed on it.

“Oh God! Johnny man. Damn, what the hell happened to you?” The man cries out, a few tears leaking down from the corners of his eyes.

“Sorry.” Kevin whispers sadly, kneeling down besides the man, patting him on the shoulder.

“You know what we gotta do now right?” A.J. asks, fearing the answer but knowing all too well what the result will be.

“Damn it, back to CAPPA. Seems like déjà vu all over again.” Kevin whispers, giving a wistful look at the others.

Galen who was standing next to Natalie on the quiet pavement watch in fright as he shudders at the mention of the company, “Did, did you just say CAPPA? I know you’re not considering going back to that place now are you!?” He asks nervously, he squeezes Natalie’s hand tightly making her wince in pain. “Oh sorry babe. Nat sweetie, I don’t know if this is a good idea for the guys to head out over to that place. It’s too dangerous. If the girls are caught I think it would be wise for the police to handle this.”

“The police don’t know about this. CAPPA is something that the government has been keeping under wraps, even if we contacted them: they wouldn’t do anything about it.” Kevin whispers.

“I know you’re right.” Galen whispers defeated knowing even the police has been informed about remaining silent of CAPPA. He keeps his eyes down to the ground as a soft breeze brushes his fair face.

Natalie gulps and closes her eyes, “So they’re caught now, aren’t they?” She chokes out, her chocolate eyes brimming with tears.

“We’ll bring them back. You’ll see honey.” Galen states, comforting her as Nick smiles softly at her direction.

“I’ll make sure I’ll get them back.” Nick whispers. Suddenly the quiet serene atmosphere was disturbed by the wailing sirens of the police cars arriving at the scene.

A.J. sighs and gathers around Galen as the other guys join up. “Well the cops are here. I say we bounce before they start questioning us. Knowing CAPPA, time isn’t something they have and we gotta get there now.”

Kevin grabs A.J.’s shoulder and shakes his head, “Wait J! We can’t just go blasting through the facilities. There has to be a better way to do that.”

“Let’s see. We have unnatural powers imbedded within us and we’re five no with Galen makes six pissed off men and one woman. I say we’re off to a good start, CAPPA won’t know what’ll hit them.” A.J. gleefully states.

Brian shakes his head, “A.J. we can’t go after them yet.”

“What! Why not?!” Nick, Howie and A.J. respond in unison.

“Because our powers are still not under control. Guys, what if we’re saving the girls and our powers go haywire, then what? I’m telling you this is a bad idea.” Brian hisses, staring at his red charred hands painfully.

Howie grumbles and drops his arms to the side, “Ugh! I hate it when he’s right. You guys we gotta figure out what the deal is with our powers before we head out to search for them.”

Natalie gasps as she releases the grip of Galen’s hand. She begins backing away as the six men look at her confused.

“Naty, what’s wrong?” Galen whispers as the others watch her carefully.

Natalie slowly raises her hand and points behind the men, without ever saying a word. The men were turning around to see what was making Natalie so uneasy when they all feel the cold tip of the pistol on the back of their neck.

“Freeze! Don’t move! You’re all under arrest for the murder of John Quinn the security guard. You’re all suspects to this case and under the order of Terrance Williams, you’re all charged with the endangerment of lives here in the hotel.” One of the police officers state as six officers hold their pistols to the men.

A.J. gulps as they were all lead away to the police car in silence. They were all worried and confused. Why the arrest? They weren’t the ones involved with any of it, yet the police came for them. Something wasn’t right and they needed to find answers immediately. Kevin looks back at Natalie who was being questioned by an officer.

“Terrance Williams that’s nice. I gotta thank him for getting me a criminal record: it was something I always wanted to have.” A.J. hisses angrily as Galen stops and stares at A.J.

“Hold up. That name. I know it, I know him! I can’t believe he still lived.” Galen whispers in complete awe.

“Keep moving!” The officer growls, leading Galen towards a vehicle.

“Ok, ok, geez.” Galen mutters as they approach the police vehicle.

Brian grumbles and stares back at Galen, “You know that guy that just got us arrested?”

“Yeah, he’s Coby’s twin brother. I heard he died during a bogus experiment and the father denied he was responsible for his child’s death. The news talked about it for weeks over ten years ago. It’s crazy, cause if he’s alive then…” He stops mid-sentence as his jaw dropped open in utter surprise.

“Oh no! This can’t be good!” Howie states as he feels the officer behind him whisper something, pulling on Howie’s arm.

“We’re missing with two bad mother…” Galen continues and whispers out, but is cut off when an officer asked him to board the car.

“Now there’s two of the same?” Nick asks confused.

“Ok Nicky. I’ll explain to you later in blonde language ok.” A.J. growls as Nick throws a daring glance at the man.

Kevin boards the backseat and leans back on the worn leather seats in the officer car with Howie besides him as he tries to comfort his friend. “Ana will be ok. She’s a strong girl and you know that. You should have nothing to worry about. We’ll find her once we get out of the cops way.”

“I thought we had to work on our powers?” Howie asks glumly still not feeling satisfied with the answer.

“Forget that. The girls need us, Ana needs you. Or should I say it the other way around.” Kevin whispers, seeing Howie’s shoulders tense up. “You know you fell for her, why are you delaying to tell her?”

Howie was about to answer when Galen slides in the backseat joining them. Two officers board the driver and passenger seat, smirking and whispering something in secret as the car pulls off.

Brian, Nick and A.J. board another car and are taken away as Natalie boards on a police car alone with an officer behind the vehicle where Nick, Brian and A.J. are in.

The three cars pull away from the scene of the crime and drives down the dark road towards the police station.

Natalie sighs and shakes her head in embarrassment; she couldn’t understand why she was taken to the station.

The officer speeds down the desolate highway as Natalie stares at the cop nervously. She wasn’t really under arrest but was needed in the station for further questioning and as much as she wanted to avoid it, she needed to save the guy’s neck on this, she owns them for all they done for her.

“So.” The officer asks wearily, peering at Natalie every once in a while. “I’m really sorry about bringing you along, its only to cover all our tracks. I mean who ever was responsible for that blasting in the hotel killed that security guard back there. And since you all were at the scene of the crime, its only imperative that they all come with us.”

“I understand.” Natalie whispers shyly, keeping her gaze on the plain car mat where her feet are at. She didn’t know what to do, why the sudden arrest on the guys, this all seemed too fishy for her to take in.

After a few minutes on the vacant highway, the three police vehicles pull up in front of the seventeenth precinct. “Ok, well here we go little lady. I hope we didn’t scare you or anything. We’re all just doing our job. You understand right?”

Natalie makes a smug look on her face and replies, “Of course.”

“Good then, let’s go inside and speak to officer Williams.” The cop states: opening the passenger side and helping Natalie off the car. The six men and Natalie all enter the station as the soft cold breeze of the air conditioning greets them.

Howie smiles: welcoming the cool filtered breeze as he walks down the black checkered tile hallway along with the others towards the lobby of the station.
~*~

The door taps gently as it creeks open, he turns around and smiles welcoming an officer into the office.

“Welcome Norton, what can I help you with?” Terrance asks, adjusting his chair behind the desk.

“Oh just wanted to let you know that we arrested the suspects like you told us. But I’m a little confused as to why though? We have tons of eyewitnesses that reported they arrived after the attack occurred.” The young officer states in his dark navy uniform. He adjusts his black tie and stares at Terrance. Terrance: holding the same appealing look as his brother Coby with his dark hair and grey eyes as well as the similar facial features as their late father Cyrus, stands in front of him shuffling through a pile of papers.

“I have my ways. Now don’t ask and don’t tell ok?” Terrance whispers out harshly, pulling out a revolver from his navy blue pant pocket.

Norton gulps and nods his head, “I understand completely sir. But I was just curious that’s all.”

Terrance smiles and chuckles softly, inching slowly towards Norton. He holds the pistol directly in the center of the man’s forehead. “Ah, you know what happens to those with curiosity. It can kill ya.” Terrance hisses and pulls on the trigger, sending a lone bullet to crash into the man’s head. The popping sound goes off as the bullet makes contact with Norton’s head. No other sound besides the pop of the gun was a shock gasp from Norton. Terrance was greeted with a small spray of the metallic blood on his cheeks as he laughs. “Man what a waste.” He grumbles as the body tumbles onto the floor. Terrance sighs and kicks the corpse over to a corner and deposits the body into the trash compactor. Turning on the on button, he switches the machine on as the grinding begins. Terrance smiles: dusting his hands off with each other as if to declare his hands were now clean of this and walks away to meet the ones that were responsible for the killing of his father.
~*~

Coby opens the bedroom door and pokes his head inside it where in the center of the room was the large queen size bed where Ana lied sleeping in it. She was buried beneath a soft cotton quilt, sleeping peacefully. Only the golden strands lied sprawled out as her back faced him. For a moment, Coby was reminded of when she was a child, how small and helpless she looked. But Coby had always promised to protect her and he wanted to live up to his word. “Sleep well princess. Tomorrow will be a big day for the both of us.” And he smiles, stepping out the room and quietly closes the door behind him.
~**~

**~To Be Continued…~**