- Text Size +
Chapter 2 - Surprising Updates

Summer gives an agitated sigh as she pushes herself away from the computer station. She could hear the steady thumps of bass from Ana’s music system. Summer tugged back her blonde locks as she scurried toward the kitchen. Wonderful aromas flooded through the airy home as Jamelet prepared their evening dinner. The walls continued to vibrate with Ana’s music as Summer leaned against the dishwasher. “It’s official, Jamelet, I’m the mother of a hell-bound teenager!”
Jamelet laughed with amusement, “Ana isn’t a hell-bound teenager – she’s an adult!”

“No, correction, the child has just started her first year of college and is only eighteen – that means that Ana is still a growing child and in need of our care. Therefore, the obvious conclusion is that we’re mothers of said child,” Summer corrected with a roll of her eyes.

“Are you trying to tell me that you think we’re married?”

“Excuse me?”

“Do you love me?” Jamelet teased, batting her dark eyelashes at Summer. She wiggled her hips as she poured a batter into the frying pan. Summer’s eyes grew wide as Jamelet blew a kiss toward her. “We’ll have to find out what state accepts homosexual marriages… Ana will be so thrilled that her Mommys are getting married. After all, she’s such a wee little tyke and needs a good home—”

“I get the point,” Summer gagged, not wanting Jamelet’s flirting any longer.

Jamelet blew a kiss.

“Jamelet, stop!” Summer whined, turning physically ill at the idea. She held her stomach as Jamelet burst into a tight fit of laughter. Summer’s eyes turned dark with annoyance. “The only marrying I will be doing is when AJ breaks up with his girlfriend and calls me with a one-way ticket to Florida—”

“AJ already broke up with his girlfriend and we are living in Florida.”

“When did you get so sarcastic?”

“When Ana moved in with us permanently,” Jamelet quipped as Summer finally laughed. Jamelet had managed to track down Ana’s mother a few months ago, but Ana’s mother had completely rejected Ana. Her mother was living in a posh section of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania with a husband and a son. It was easier to tell Ana that her mother had died then to explain the truth that Ana’s mother loathed the sight of Ana. So, Jamelet moved Ana to Florida with her and Summer and made her a permanent part of the family. Jamelet and Summer were beginning to treat Ana as if she were their daughter and it made it easier for Ana to cope with the drastic change.

Jamelet and Summer decided that it was best to move away from the upper east coast of America. They wanted to be farther away from the remains of CAPPA and the bitter images. The older girls also decided to take Ana toward warmer climate to enhance the power of Ana’s ice abilities. It also made it easier for Ana to keep her body somewhat warmer than what her body’s core temperature remained, even though her body core dropped dramatically the further south the girls traveled.

They settled in the small city of Palm Valley near the Florida and Georgia border. Their house was right upon the beach and cozy. It was extremely comfortable with several perks and a full lab in the basement to keep up on the latest changes in Ana’s powers. Both Jamelet and Summer had jobs at the two local hospitals while Ana traveled to college for her medical degree. Ana had proved to be an extremely intelligent woman and decided that she would dedicate her life to helping others through medicine. Jamelet and Summer couldn’t be prouder of their “child.”

“Any news?” Jamelet finally asked as she and Summer sat down at the kitchen table, grabbing two sodas from the fridge. Summer and Jamelet had become fast friends and loved to spend time with one another. The bonds from CAPPA remained strong.

“The girls each emailed me,” Summer announced proudly as she heard a heavy pounding from the steps. Ana had taken the loft area at the top of the house for her room. Everything that made life grand was provided for her. Jamelet did this because she felt guilty for Ana’s mother abandoning her. Ana was grateful for the time and energy Jamelet and Summer put into her life.

“The girls?” Ana chirped happily as she sauntered into the kitchen. She was a typical eighteen year old woman as she placed her hands into the back pockets of her dark jean flares. She wore a simple light blue t-shirt with the logo of ADIDAS printed on the front. Her long honey curls were tossed into a simple ponytail atop her head. Her blue-green eyes glistened with an impish nature.

“Yes, your other halves,” Summer laughed as Ana grabbed a soda from the fridge and sat on the table between Summer and Jamelet.

“What’d they have to say?” Jamelet asked. Alison, Kimberly, Rose, and Paige emailed the girls frequently during the summer. However, emails became less frequent with the passing of the school years. Jamelet and Summer understood the fact that their parents wanted them to forget about their past lives and abilities. It made it easier for the girls to become accustom to reality.

“Rose writes to say that they’re all doing fantastically. Rose is finally a senior enrolled in a normal high school. She’s thrilled with life and has a potential boyfriend in her sights… Alison and Paige keep in close contact since they live near each other. The girls are best friends. Kimberly lives near Rose, so they visit one another. They all ask that Ana write them as soon as possible. They send their love, too,” Summer announced, reaching for a doughnut from the purple box sitting at the side of the table.

“Normal teenage letters,” Jamelet chuckled as Ana leaned back on the table.

“Did they say anything about their powers?” Ana finally asked, glancing at Summer. Ana’s powers had grown tremendously over the past weeks. She could freely turn her body into the substances of ice, snow, and hail. She could produce deadly icicles from her flesh and send them at such a large force that they became embedded in the objects to which they were hurled at. Ana’s powers were overwhelming as she matured and become able to control her powers. She loved every minute of her gifts and found it amusing at college, but never told Jamelet and Summer for fear of being scolded.

“Rose says that her powers and the girl’s powers are completely gone. They haven’t used them at all and Rose tried on day but couldn’t produce anything. It’s amazing, but it seems to be erased from their brains. There’s been no bizarre outbreaks of their powers, but just a simple dormant stage. It’s amazing.”

“Wow,” Ana murmured.

“It’s possible,” Jamelet agreed, “But it’s for the best. They wanted normal lives for so long and now they have them. Not knowing how to conjure up their powers will be the nicest thing to happen to them in years.”

“That’s true,” Summer agreed.

“I’d never want to loose my powers!” Ana declared with pride as she jumped off the table. Jamelet and Summer gave her queer looks, causing Ana to smirk with amusement. Jamelet and Summer rolled their eyes as Ana tossed her empty can into the nearby recycling bin. “I like being able to control the snow and whatnot. I’ve had these powers since I can remember and I would be lost without them. Those girls wanted to be cured for the longest time – and now they are. But I don’t want to be cured. I’d rather have my powers than have a normal life.”

“Really?” Jamelet asked with amazement.

“Of course,” Ana chirped again as there was a chiming sound of the doorbell. Her eyes lit up with surprise and hopefulness. She had made quite an impression with the boys at her college. She hoped that it might be one of them. “Excuse me!” she giggled, running toward the living room with a fury of excitement.

“She’s definitely the diamond in the rough of this group,” Summer laughed.

“She’s what keeps us strong,” Jamelet agreed.

*~*~*

Ana peered into a nearby mirror as she hurriedly reached the front door. She flipped her honey blonde curls behind her shoulders as she pulled her ponytail tighter. She admired her beautiful reflection and plastered a flirty smile on her face. She tugged hard on the door, preparing to act surprised if it was one of the boys from the college. However, the act of surprise wasn’t necessary when she realized who was at the door.

“YOU GUYS!” she called with surprise.

Howie, AJ, and Nick shifted uncomfortably as they offered lame smiles. Howie’s cheeks were colored with a bright red at the sight of Ana. Something from the previous months still sparked in his soul as he admired her beautiful face. He hoped that she still felt the same. They were unable to keep close contact with the girls, but Nick did receive the occasional email from Jamelet which talked often of Ana’s hope that Howie would come visit.

“Hey, hope you don’t mind that we stopped by…” Howie trailed with a flustered smile.

“You… Orlando is miles from here!” Ana laughed.

“Well, we weren’t busy or anything. Brian and Kevin are spending quality time with their wives… AJ needed a break from his ex-girlfriend moving out… Nick and I were just bored. We wanted to come see you all. Jamelet gave Nick your address… We were curious. Is it a bad time?” Howie questioned.

“No! Not at all!”

“Can we come in?” AJ asked with a smile. Ana smirked back at him, opening the door wider. AJ and Ana were almost identical in personalities. Ana always had a good time when AJ was there to joke around with.

“Thank you,” Nick answered as Ana led them toward the living room.

“No problem at all,” Ana declared as she flashed a brilliant smile toward Howie. He felt his heart skip a beat as Nick pulled him down to sit on the couch. Ana flipped a stray curl away from her lovely blue-green eyes as she walked toward the kitchen calling for the older girls. “Summer and Jamelet are going to die!”
~*~

**~To Be Continued...~**