- Text Size +
Chapter 4 - Reunited Hearts

Nick tapped his foot nervously as he stared at Jamelet across the checkered table in the local restaurant. She had picked the restaurant for its fantastic cuisine and Nick could not disagree. However, he wouldn’t contradict Jamelet in a million years. He could never argue with a beautiful woman like Jamelet. He still couldn’t believe how radiant she looked – more beautiful than with the pancake mix in her hair. Her soft brown curls lay gently against her petite shoulders as she stared deeply at him with her chocolate colored irises. She folded her small hands in her lap, leaning back on the chair listening to him babble about something unimportant.

“Are you okay, Nick?” Jamelet finally voiced, leaning forward ever so slightly. Nick fell backward in his chair when Jamelet leaned forward. His eyes were wide in shock, causing Jamelet to laugh into her hand. Burning embarrassment flushed Nick’s cheeks, causing him to slouch in his seat. Jamelet placed her hand upon his own against the table. “I realize that there are some things you need to talk about and when you’re ready – I’m here.”

“What?” Nick gulped down, feeling butterflies collecting in his stomach. His hands started to tingle as if fire would shoot out of them. Nick pulled his hand away and placed them in his lap, hoping to calm his body’s reactions. A recent development in his gift was that when Nick had a severe emotional swing – his body would release his powers with no control.

“You definitely want to talk about something,” Jamelet answered with a coy smile.

“I never said—”

“You didn’t have to say – your powers did the talking,” Jamelet answered, pointing to his hands which had turned a fiery red. Nick winced and grabbed an ice cube from his drink, covering with his hands beneath the table. He sighed with relief as the coldness circulated. Jamelet smiled again. Leaning forward to whisper secretly to Nick. “Nick, don’t feel too bad. Ana’s powers act in the same way. She came home one day from college and a hailstorm was actually following her. She cursed and then this huge bolder of ice smashed onto the porch. That burst of uncontrollable evolution happened when she reached eighteen.”

“Really?” he asked curiously.

“Yeah, these gifts go through a series of evolution. I don’t know what triggers it, but it happens with Ana. The other girls completely lost theirs. It’s odd, but true. They have no control and can’t conjure up the powers. I find it fascinating, but it’s the best for the others.”

“So, Ana went through bad times and good times with her powers for the past couple of months?” Nick asked with relief. Howie and AJ would be glad to know that they were not the only ones experiencing the tides of disaster.

“Yeah, you can ask her about it. She’s learned to control the periods really well. She’s advanced so fast without Summer and me. It’s completely boggling, but she’s adamant about controlling her powers.”

“That’s amazing.”

“She’s an amazing kid.”

Nick chewed on his bottom lip, concentrating on Jamelet’s chocolate eyes. He wanted to tell her and knew that he could trust her. He waited until the waiter brought out their food. He smiled politely, silently telling the man to buzz off. The waiter scurried away and Nick leaned forward to grab a slice of pizza. He smiled as Jamelet rolled her eyes at him. He was so carefree around her. She had a way of making the biggest of problems melt away in a soft smile. “Um…Jamelet?” Nick whispered.

“Yeah?”

“Howie, J, and I… well… we’ve been having some problems.”

“Problems? You mean with AJ’s ex-girlfriend? I heard she was a real terror for A.J. The poor guy. Ana said that she could freeze the girl’s lips to a pole to give AJ some hours of sanity—”

“No, that’s not the only problem.”

“Do you miss us?” Jamelet asked with a sincere smile.

“Well, of course we miss you.”

“You can always call us. That’s not that much of a problem.”

“Jamelet, you don’t understand–”

“Don’t understand what?”

“Howie, AJ, and I have problems with our powers,” Nick hissed in frustration, causing Jamelet to grow extremely quiet. Nick groaned, muttering a curse under his breath. He didn’t want to upset her. He just wanted to tell her what was happening, because he trusted her. He glanced down at his hands, noting that the fiery coloring had returned. He bit down on his bottom lip, trying to control the frustration levels. He began to speak quietly, “We’re having the same problems as Ana. Howie sneezed once and electricity shot out of his body and almost fried his cat. Howie also turned neon yellow one night and almost blinded us. Then AJ was sleeping at my house and I woke up in time to see my desk from my music room hovering over my head! AJ was even floating off the floor one day and disappeared – we couldn’t find him for hours. Then I’m starting fires and I’ve actually burst into flames. There’s other things that are happening, but those are just for starters. It’s horrible and we can’t control it.”

Jamelet nodded thoughtfully, setting her piece of pizza on her plate. She figured that the boys would go through dramatic changes like the first time their powers emerged. As each person gained more control of their powers, the powers would grow in strength. “Are Kevin and Brian expediting the same issues?”

“No. Just us three. That’s why we came to see you.”

Jamelet’s eyes went wide with pain. She watched Nick wince as soon as the words flew from his mouth, but the damage had already done. She bowed her head, looking at her hands. She tried to muster up the courage that Ana always seemed to flood with, but found herself faltering in the department. She had thought that Nick was interested in something more than just studying their gifts. Jamelet nodded to herself, finally glancing back up. She spoke quickly before Nick could attempt to correct himself, “We have a private lab in the basement of our home built especially for Ana, but your gifts will be contained in the lab nonetheless. I’ll take a look at what’s developing tomorrow morning in time to have you home before Monday. I know you didn’t plan on staying long, anyway.”

“Jamelet—”

“It’s not a problem. I’ll inform Summer of our plans when we return home. I’m sure Ana will be excited to show you her talents in the basement. She has some wonderful techniques to share and I find she’s getting bored just demonstrating to Summer and me,” Jamelet interrupted, finding a way to change the subject. She felt a little silly bringing up Ana all of a sudden, but that was Jamelet’s motherly instincts. When things were going well – just talk about the children and things will smooth itself out.

Nick looked defeated, knowing that he couldn’t switch the topic without causing a massive typhoon of emotions. He smiled, pretending as if his stupidity hadn’t caused the downfall of his relationship with Jamelet. At least he had told her about the first problem, which was the first step. Maybe he could convince Howie or AJ to talk to Jamelet about CAPPA, because Nick didn’t want to worsen the relationship further. He sighed softly, deciding it was best to move on from his idiotic remark. “I think Ana will just be interested in showing Howie her new powers.”

“Ana is smitten with Howie, no doubt.”

“Likewise for Sunshine.”

“Sunshine?”

Nick snickered, “We have stupid nicknames for each other now. Our gifts have replaced the old nicknames, well, at least AJ and I use the new nicknames. The other guys just get pissed at us, but it’s funny. My name is Smoke. Kevin is named Laser-Eye. Brian is named Deadly. ”

“And AJ?”

“It’s funnier if he tells you.”

“I’ll be sure to ask him.”



*~*~*



AJ rolled his eyes as Ana continued telling an outrageous story of being trapped in an elevator with ten pornographic men. Ana was always outrageous, but AJ thought that she might actually be telling the truth for once. He laughed as the waves rolled out from the ocean and lapped gently against her pale ankles. He had been spending more time with Ana than Summer for the night. Summer had taken Howie around the home to show him what they had accomplished since CAPPA’s demise, but AJ decided he’d rather have some fun with Ana than be lectured. He thought Summer was captivating and sexy, but he hated lectures. He quickly ran out to join Ana on the sandy beach. The girl was zany and always unpredictable for AJ. He liked that. He found it amazing that Ana lived next to the beach, but still remained the color of snow. He knew it was because of her gifts, but he imagined that many people commented on her skin tone.

“Whitey, do you ever stop talking?” AJ finally asked once Ana had stopped to take a breath from her story. He smirked as she rolled her eyes at him. AJ shrugged his shoulders and began to draw a mound of sand before him to make a sandcastle.

“Did you just call me Whitey?” Ana asked, forgetting completely about the story she had just been engaged in.

“Yes, I believe that’s what I just called you. It definitely suites you, darling,” AJ teased, pointing to her long pale legs. “You’ve spent how many months out on this ocean and you’re still a sheet in the wind. I find it highly amusing.”

“You won’t find it amusing when I put one of these ghost legs up your—”

“Woah, aren’t we feisty!” AJ hooted, causing a smile to break out on Ana’s face. “I definitely missed your mouth, let me tell you!”

Ana remained thoughtful for a moment, sitting down on the sand beside AJ. She watched him sculpt the castle of sand carefully and with much determination. She glanced back upward toward her home to see Howie and Summer engaged in a conversation on the sun porch. Summer continued to stare at AJ while Howie spoke with her – it was obvious to Ana that Summer longed to speak with AJ privately. She made a mental note to make sure the two were alone later on tonight. Ana shelved the thought as she cast another glance toward the porch, accidentally catching Howie’s gaze. She blushed furiously, averting her gaze to catch AJ staring at her. “What?” she yelped with embarrassment.

“Were we drooling over some older Latino on the sun porch of our home?” AJ tormented Ana in a sing-song voice, causing her to blush again. “My, my, my – I knew that you two were interested in one another, but this much of an attraction? The Lord must be shining down on you, Whitey.”

“Shut up,” Ana muttered, growing frustrated at AJ’s laughter. “At least I didn’t hit on someone the second I broke up with my significant other and during the relationship with that former significant other.”

AJ stopped working on his castle. “What, Whitey?”

“You like Summer, Einstein.”

“Hey!” AJ whined, starting to turn red.

“Did I just hit a soft-spot?”

“Yes.”

“Good. The feeling is mutual.”

“I’ll shut up if you shut up about it – okay?” AJ concluded, looking into Ana’s sapphire-emerald eyes for some sort of confirmation. AJ and Ana were too wrapped up in themselves to really admit their true feelings for the people gathered on the porch. They were too much alike and could read each other like a book – making it easy to torment the other. AJ also knew when he had pushed it too far with Ana’s emotions. She was still younger than him – no matter how mature she acted.

“Deal, so finish your castle and I’ll make my own,” Ana bubbled, changing the topic as if she were choosing a different soda to drink. AJ rolled his eyes and went back to creating his castle. Ana smirked as she watched him concentrated on adding a series of windows to a tower – she could make something better. She hurriedly placed her hands out in front of her and closed her eyes. She conjured a lovely picture of an ice castle in her mind.

“Whitey—” AJ’s voice dropped when he saw Ana’s eyes burst open. Her irises were a brilliant white as an icy mixture exploded from her fingertips. AJ fell backward as the ice layered on top of itself and twisted into Ana’s magnificent sculpture. The brilliant colors of the sun exploded through the sheets of ice and glistened in the prism colors. Large towers, gates, and even miniature people were molded from Ana’s fingertips in a few minutes. When Ana ended, she smirked with pride and topped off her castle with an icy dragon looming over the tallest tower.

“I beat you,” she declared.

“Why… Ana… Oh…” AJ was at a loss for words. She had used her powers out in public. Anyone could have seen the ice castle being formed from her fingers and it wasn’t even melting! He jumped up from his knees, pulling at his thick black curls. Ana stared at Alex with confusion, which caused Alex to explode with raw fury. He feared for her life. “How can you be so foolish! Using your powers out in the open! It’s not right! You could be taken away for those foolish pranks! After all you’ve been through – you’re so careless! Anastacia! How can you jeopardize yourself, Jamelet, and Summer like that?! Those women have done so much for you and you repay them by blowing your cover!”

Ana smiled warmly, not offended by AJ’s reaction to her freeness. She pulled him down to her height to speak with him. He looked infuriated, but did not protest. “AJ – Summer and Jamelet allow me to use my powers freely. We’re completely secluded from everyone in the city. This is our private beach. Jamelet and Summer encourage me to practice and I want to practice. I use my gifts all the time without consequences. Summer and Jamelet even built me a lab downstairs so they can monitor all of my progress. You’ll have to check it out. I’m completely independent when it comes my gifts.”

AJ clearly wasn’t satisfied. He grunted, sitting back and bracing himself with his hands. Ana watched him, waiting for AJ to say something. Finally, unable to control his fears for Ana being captured, he growled, “Don’t you realize that your independent streak could kill you!?”

“It didn’t kill Kelly Clarkson,” Ana quipped with amusement.

“What?” AJ blurted, completely baffled.

Ana stood up and disincarnated her ice castle with a small flick of her hand. It melted into an icy puddle, draining into the ocean. She hummed softly, striking up a beat. And without a cue, Ana burst into melody. AJ looked horror-stricken in the sand as she danced around him singing. “Miss Independent walked away / No time for love that came her way / She looked in the mirror and thought today / What happened to Miss No Longer Afraid / It took some time for her to see / How beautiful love could truly be / No more talk of why can’t that be me / I’m so glad that I finally see.”

AJ couldn’t help but laugh as Ana swayed into the sea doing her own little dance. Her voice was beautifully harmonized and strong. AJ admitted that she was good and could probably make it as a singer, but he’d never tell her that. Ana would rather die than perform in front of millions with just a simple act of singing. She was made for the medical field – not the stage. Laughing at the thought, AJ stood up and brushed his hands off on his shorts, finally calling out to Ana. “You do realize that you have that song completely backwards, right?”

Ana’s voice stopped immediately as she glanced back at him. “What?”

“Miss Independent is about a girl losing her independence when she falls in love.”

Ana’s jaw dropped open, causing AJ to burst into laughter. “Are you serious, J?”

“Seriously serious. Are you dropping hints to Howie by singing that song – or are you truly blonde?”

“I’m truly blonde,” Ana quipped.

“Oh you little rat!” AJ roared, running out toward the ocean while a wave was rolling in. He grabbed Ana by the waist and pulled her straight into the middle of the wave. She sputtered and gagged as they both crashed into the waves, but came up wanting more. She dove at AJ, knocking him into the waves and waging war.



*~*~*



“Those two are truly nuts,” Summer laughed as she watched Ana dive to tackle AJ back into another huge wave. The two in the sea shrieked and called each other names that Howie and Summer couldn’t even understand. It seemed that sometimes Ana and AJ had their own private language. Summer shrugged her slim shoulders as she sat down next to Howie in a nearby chair. He was staring at the ocean with a look of true jealousy. Summer smirked, knowing very well what Howie was thinking. “Howie, do you think I should shave my head bald?”

“Hmmm? Oh, yeah, Summer, that’d be great.”

“You’ve definitely got it bad for her.”

“Yes, I do,” Howie sighed.

“Howie!” Summer exploded with giggles.

Howie finally tuned into Summer’s laughter. He stared at her as if she were an alien. Summer held her stomach as she continued to giggle. Howie sighed, rolling his eyes. He had been left out of the conversation apparently. He glanced back to see AJ attacking Ana with splashes of ocean water. He longed to be out in the ocean attacking Ana, but he acted so awkwardly around her. He couldn’t believe that a female could put such a trance on him. He knew that he needed to sort something out before he went completely crazy.

“You’re priceless,” Summer finally wheezed, coming out of her laughter.

“Why?” Howie asked with irritation.

“She’s just a girl.”

“Who’s just a girl?”

“Ana.”

“Ana?” Howie asked, trying to play dumb.

“You’re hopeless, too,” Summer laughed as the backdoor slid open. She watched Nick and Jamelet walked onto the porch with a container of leftovers. She smiled, winking at Jamelet. The woman just rolled her eyes, brushing off Summer’s obvious question. “We’re just entertaining ourselves with AJ and Ana’s antics. Would you care to join us?”

“Antics?” Nick asked curiously, peering over the porch. His eyes lit up with amusement as Ana grabbed onto AJ’s neck and pulled him back under the waves. Nick eagerly waved his hands. “ANA! AJ! WE’RE BACK! HEY! LOOK OVER HERE! STOP FLIRTING LONG ENOUGH TO SEE ME!”

Summer and Howie grew dramatically quiet as Jamelet suppressed a groan. Nick was still traditional Nick – not realizing what kind of effect his words had on others. However, he did grab Ana’s attention long enough for her to get pummeled by AJ’s splashing attacks. “WE’RE COMING!” AJ finally shouted. “I JUST HAVE TO TEACH WHITEY A LESSON!”

“Whitey?” Jamelet questioned with surprise.

Howie, Summer, and Nick shrugged their shoulders.

“ANASTACIA! GET UP HERE!” Summer finally shouted, acting like a mother.

“COMING! BECAUSE IT’S SLUMBER PARTY TIME!” Ana declared with a fit of laughter, jumping onto AJ one last time before running up the beach for refuge.
~**~

**~To Be Continued...~**