- Text Size +
“Termination of Sanity”

**~Chapter 9: Corruption in the Air~**

Jamelet flings the heavy suitcase onto the homely twin size bed as she can hear Summer muttering about Ana’s behavior. The girls rented a hotel room a few blocks away from Nick’s place and decided to stay there for the night to appease Ana’s intentions. Jamelet sighs and places her hands on the cover of the suitcase, “Summer, chill out. It’s not that bad here now is it?”

Summer glances over at her friend and smirks, tossing her golden locks over her small shoulders, “Well how can I say it that won’t make you think bad, see we were at a beautiful lavish mansion and now…” Summer stops mid-sentence, passing her hands to show the room, and gazes around the small lofty room that had two small twin size beds and a sofa bed on the ragged furry black sofa in the center of the small room. The mahogany planks covered the walls and floor, creaking at every movement within the room. A dusty glass pane window out looked to the small stores that littered around the town in Florida.

Jamelet rolls her eyes and blows out a puff of air, “Yeah well, I’m sorry miss beauty queen that this isn’t the luscious bedroom for your needs.” She hisses sarcastically.

“Don’t get mad with me! It’s not my fault we’re here. Its little Ana and her mood swings that we have to sleep all squished up.” Summer growls, her fiery emerald eyes blaze brightly in anger.

Jamelet gazes at her friend and sighs, running her fingers through her thick dark chocolate locks: “Yeah well. Guess we should get use to this lifestyle then since we took up the responsibility of caring for Ana.”

Summer sighs in relief and bats her eyes. The strain emotions plagued the entire group recently and with Ana’s sudden shift in attitude and the guy’s lies, it seemed everyone was on guard and protective of their own hearts.

“Sorry girl.” Summer whispers, scratching her arm gently.

“No prob. We’re all edgy with the whole CAPPA news and what not.” Jamelet tiredly states.

“I guess we’ll order something to eat then, I’ll call a take out Chinese place: we can have something decent to eat for now.” Summer states, ruffling through her small carry on suitcase to find her wallet.

“Good, I’ll take the same I always eat. I’ll go down to the lobby where I left Ana to see what she wants. I hope she figured out where the bathroom is: cause I have got to go!” Jamelet teases, jumping around silly. Summer smiles and giggles: slumping onto the edge of a bed to grab a phone and place the orders for their food.

“I’ll be back k.” Jamelet whispers, stepping into the carpeted hallway and closing the door behind her to meet up with Ana.
~*~

Nick grumbles and tosses an empty carton of milk into the trash bin, watching the news on the large flat screen television in the living room. He feels the sofa get heavier as Brian sits at the other end of the sofa smirking.

“Nick, do you want to talk to the girls?” Brian asks, his eyes following Nick’s vision to the screen.

“Who? Jamelet and Summer?” Nick mutters, keeping his gaze at the TV.

“Uh, yeah who else? Look Howie is gonna finally talk to Ana tonight and I think we all should go and apologize to all of them for not telling them sooner.” Brian whispers, patting Nick’s knee which was curled under Nick’s body.

Nick makes a smug look and grabs the remote control, flipping through the channels endlessly.

“Nick, did you even listen to what I said?” Brian asks annoyed.

“Yeah, heard ya. Girls, Howie, apology. Got it.” Nick mutters, staring annoyed at Brian.

“Good. We’ll head over to the Marquisette hotel where the girls are staying and we can sleep well tonight k, cause I don’t have time for this little silent treatment the girls are giving.” Brian mumbles, standing up: brushing off the crumbs of the cookies that he recently ate.

Natalie appears in the living room threshold and motions with her hand for Brian to come to her to talk. Obeying her, Brian walks over and they both quietly whisper about something that Nick couldn’t hear. Annoyed that nothing was told to him, Nick stands up and pushes his way rudely between the two and smirks as Brian yells out how rude that was. Nick waltzes into a corridor and saunters into the guest room he had set up for his friends. In the room, he sees A.J. shuffling through a pile of albums and CD’s while Howie and Kevin play a game of cards on a coffee table.

“So D, the guilt trip got to ya huh?” Nick states, plopping down besides A.J. on the dark forest green carpet.

Howie looks up from his card game and mumbles something under his breath.

“What D? What was that? I didn’t hear ya?” A.J. teases as Kevin throws him a daring glance.

Kevin growls and throws down his deck of cards, “A.J. is there anything else you want to say before you continue to distract us from the game?”

“Nope. That was it.” A.J. states innocently, his dark chocolate beams mischievously while Nick chuckles softly.

Kevin licks his lips and picks up his deck of cards, “Good. And let’s keep it that way.”

A.J. smiles and pulls out a CD from Nick’s rack which shelved more than one hundred different CD’s along the wall. After a few minutes of silence, A.J. decided to have a little fun and stared at the pile of cards lying scattered on the table. “Actually now that I think about it…” A.J. interrupts the silence causing Kevin to slam his fists on the table growling.

Kevin tenses up and cracks his neck on the side before turning around to stare at A.J. “You have till three to leave, before something happens to you.” Kevin’s eyes begin glowing a bright green.

A.J. raises his arms in the air innocently and shakes his head, “Now, now. Kev. That’s no way to talk to your best buddy like that. You know you can’t use your powers in here cause it would be wrong.”

Kevin smiles and nods his head in mocking matter, still teasing he whispers: “You’re right. That would be wrong.” He averts his eyes to A.J.’s pockets as a small sliver of red rays burns through A.J.’s jean pocket. The small burning stench rises in the air as A.J. sniffs and glances down worriedly at his black jeans.

“Hey man! Come on! Whatcha doing? These babies are brand new and you burned a hole right through it!” A.J. mutters, standing up and brushing his hands over the small smoke flames to take out the small mishap. Kevin simply laughs as A.J. growls out a profanity and steps out the room with the others laughing at him.

“He couldn’t handle the heat I guess.” Kevin murmurs as the other continue to chuckle softly to himself.

A.J. walks down the hallway and sees Brian and Natalie sitting in the living room discussing something. Curious, A.J. creeps to the corner and stays hidden, poking his head out to hear the private conversation.

“It’s not just them. I don’t know what’s happening to me. I can read people’s thoughts and hear their heart beat in my mind! I killed a guy doing that. Doc, I don’t know what to do. Kevin has been having problems too, the other day before we all got here, at the airport, Kevin touched a metal trash bin and it melted in his hands. Its like his body temperature went up for moment. I freaked out, cause Kevin looked lost and confused. Our powers are taking over our lives. If I can give them up I would, to live a semi-normal life. I have my fame already I don’t need this either.” Brian raises his palms to show the young doctor.

Natalie sighs and takes a look at Brian’s charred red hands. “I’m sorry for all that. It just means that you’re stronger than you thought. All of you guys are getting stronger by the minute. I would love to take a look at what you all do, but I don’t think Nick’s house comes equipped with any of the gadgets we can use for this.”

“You guys can use the backyard.” Galen states: entering the living room through another doorway.

A.J. watches in interest as the three exits the glass pane doors and step outside to Nick’s back yard.

“I’ll go get the guys and see what we can come up with.” Natalie states: brushing a stray dark brown strand away from her cheek as they step outside to the yard.

A.J. gulps and leans back into the wall, hearing Natalie cross the room, inching closer to his direction. A.J. sighs and grabs Natalie’s arm as she passing. She jumps in surprise, her dark brown eyes wide open. “Oh! A.J.! I didn’t see ya there.”

“I know. Uh, you want to see what I can do right?” Natalie nods her head and points to head to the backyard. A.J. obliges and waits for Nick, Howie and Kevin to join him. Once everyone was outside in the backyard, Natalie grabs a seat with a pad and pen in her hand. Galen pulls out a stop watch and whispers to Natalie shortly before calling out for A.J. A.J. steps forward as all the attention is on him.

“Alright A.J. Brian said you guys all found something new with your given powers, can you share it with us?” Galen asks, his dark green eyes piercing at A.J.

A.J. takes a deep breath and nods his head, “K, I found out I can go into anyone’s body and see what they see. It’s a bit weird but lately it does it by self and I can be in any one’s body. Not just who I chose.”

Galen raises his dark eyebrows and taps the writing pad in Natalie’s hand, “Ok, well can you go into one of our bodies?”

“I’ll try.” A.J. whispers and closes his eyes. Suddenly he feels himself light as if floating and then blackness consumes his vision. When he opens them, he doesn’t recognize where he’s at. He looks around and smiles, it was the hotel the girls were staying in and it seemed he was inside a cramp place. He scans his eyes and sees what the body is seeing. “Where am I?” A.J. whispers, hearing the familiar voice of Jamelet. A.J. gasps as he sees Ana swinging her legs on a bench waiting for Jamelet.

“Hey you, I was waiting for you to come get me. What take ya so long?” Ana whispers, her lean figure standing over the petite doctor.

“Sorry, I had an issue with the elevators. They take forever in this place.” Jamelet responds as A.J. watches Ana giggling and yawn.

“Tired?” He hears Jamelet whisper as Ana nods her head.

“Ok, before you sleep though, we’re ordering food: Summer wants to know what you want.” Jamelet states: pushing back a few brown locks that escaped the clip in her hair.

“Oh I don’t know, I’m down with anything that isn’t fried.” Ana murmurs as they begin walking back down towards the elevator bank.

A.J. silently watches as they wait for the elevator to arrive. It was strange being in another person’s body not having control but sort of having front row to what was going on. Ana snaps her gum as Jamelet snorts,

“Eww, tacky.” Jamelet teases as Ana laughs. Suddenly the quiet lobby was filled with a shocking rumble from below the building. A.J. gasps thinking it could be an earthquake.

The two women grab onto one another as screams from customers and employers of the hotel break into the hallways. People begin racing around the lobby as the ground begins shaking violently, slowly cracking in half.

“Oh man earthquake!” The girls hear Summer’s voice as she stumbles out of the stairwell corridor to join the other girls.

Suddenly Jamelet turns towards the front doors of the hotel and screams out as a small rocket like bomb hits the glass doors, shattering it. The girl’s gasp as over more than fourteen armed black dressed soldiers enter the doors, the glass cracking beneath their heavy black boots. Jamelet could feel Ana’s grip on her arm tighten as Summer whispers out to get out now. The three women gulp and begin racing towards the back exit, anything to escape the soldiers that arrive. A.J. gasps, seeing what Jamelet was seeing. He sees a soldier creep out the corners of the hallway the women are running on, only to begin shooting. The bullets gaze over Summer’s head as Ana growls, her sapphire emerald eyes begin getting cloudy and dark blue. Ana’s snowy complexion turns a shade of light blue. A.J. watches a soldier sneak up from a hidden corner in the hallway and grab Jamelet’s arm, pulling her into him as he shoots Summer: hitting her on the arm. She shrieks out as grabs her bleeding wounded arm as another solider coming from above in the ceiling through a grate, leaps onto of her, grabbing her. Ana swings around and extends her hands, ice covering the floor and walls and small icicles begin shooting at the on coming soldiers from her fingers. An icicle slams into a soldier’s chest cavity sending blood spewing out onto the crème walls and carpet. Ana smiles and turns around, her heart banging against her chest as she was suddenly surrounded by armed soldiers, all of them holding rifles and pistols at her direction. She gulps and sees Jamelet and Summer held by two soldiers at gun point with their hands raise in the air.

“Miss! Put your hands up in the air. If you use the ability on any of us, your friends will get killed.” A masked soldier states, his black helmet glimmering in the harsh white lights above him. He steps forward, his rifle pointing directly at Ana’s chest.

Ana growls and slowly raises her arms in the air, her heart banging in her chest.

Jamelet squeaks out, “Who sent you to get us?” her hands shaking in fear, it seemed her nightmare is coming true, CAPPA has gotten their hands on them again.

The soldiers laugh and the one talking to Ana: turns to look at Jamelet: “Under the new orders of Williams, he sent us to get you all. It seems he has a proposition for you Jamelet.”

Jamelet shakes her head, her heart banging in her chest as A.J. watches through her eyes, the tense anxiety felt.

Suddenly A.J. feels himself in the air, floating as darkness invades his sight. He snaps open his eyes to see Natalie, Galen and the rest of the guys surround him on a sofa.

“Hey buddy, there you are. We were scared for you. You passed out on us. This was the longest you’ve been out of your body. What did you see?” Brian asks: his azure eyes filled with worry.

A.J. lying on his back, struggles to sit up with Kevin’s help. He intakes a deep breath and stares nervously at the others. He whispers out as his hands begin shaking, “They’re in danger! They’re caught. CAPPA is here! They have the girls! We’re too late!” He gulps tightly and leans back on the sofa. He hears gasps around the room and quiet whispering.

Kevin shakes his head as he pats A.J.’s shoulder, “Damn, we’re screwed.” He whispers as the others stare at A.J. nervously. Now the next thing to do was how to get the girls out to safety without getting their selves caught.
~*~

Coby drums his fingers on the desktop, a smile crawling on his face as he flips through the glossy pictures of the past experiments 1A, the female group. “Miles do you think that the one caught will entertain me well?”

Miles looks up from the faxing machine and gazes at Coby, “Umm, well I heard the one that is caught has ice powers. Your dad was always talking about how a man names Steeles was fascinated with that woman, maybe he had a reason for it.”

Coby smiles, “I know who she is. She’ll remember me. As for the doctors, they’ll meet me for the first time.”

Miles clears his throat and tilts his head, “Uh, well I’m just curious, but Mr. Williams what do you have plans for the doctors?”

Coby snorts and stands up from his desk, walking over to Miles. “Oh I have my surprises, you’ll see. I have a special surprise for Sanchez’s daughter especially. Her father made me suffer and I’ll make sure she will experience what I went through.”

Miles gulps and nervously adjusts his wire rimmed glasses, “Oh sounds like revenge to me.”

“No, Miles on the contrary: It is what she along with everyone else in there needs.” Coby hisses, his handsome face beaming as he takes a small photo of Ana and kisses it. He places the photo back on the desk top and walks away, heading towards the doorway, “Come Miles. Company is coming and we have to greet our guests.”

Miles gulps and follows his boss, exiting the office and closing the door behind him.
~**~

**~To Be Continued…~**