- Text Size +
Faithfully
Chapter 11
By Dottie
Copyright 2016

Nick’s POV

The ride to the airport is quiet. Jessi insists on sitting in the back seat so she can nap a little longer. She really is exhausted. She’s so tiny. I know carrying the baby has to be hard on her. But she looks so beautiful. Once I know she’s asleep, I keep turning around to watch her. I see the baby moving. It still shocks me to think that after all the shit we’ve been through she forgives me and is having my baby.

AJ catches me watching her. He chuckles. “She wasn’t leaving without you.”

I nod. “I know. She looks beautiful.”

He agrees with me. “She does. Motherhood certainly agreed with her and Hanna.”

I give him my full attention. “AJ, thanks for coming with her…I know leaving Hanna Jo was hard.”

He shrugs. “It was and it wasn’t. We couldn’t let Jessi come alone and she was hell bent on finding you and making sure you were ok. Hanna Jo was going to come but the flight was too long for Todd.”

Suddenly I feel happy. OK, happier than I have been in months. “It’s so damn good to see you AJ. I’ve missed you all.”

He shoots me a dirty look. “Don’t get all mushy on me now Carter. Wait till we’re home then I can cry with some dignity.” After we both laugh, he mutters, “We’ve missed you too.”

From the back seat, Jessi moans. I turn around in time to see a look of pain cross her face. I reach back and touch her hand. “Jessi, are you ok?”


She slowly opens her eyes and nods. “Yeah. She’s just restless this afternoon.”

The rest of the ride is made in almost total silence. AJ is trying to sing along with the radio and it makes me miss the group that much more. But he looks happy. And that’s the important thing.

I keep stealing glances at Jessi. She’s sleeping again, but I can see she’s uncomfortable. I have to do whatever I can to take care of her. She doesn’t have to know that after the baby comes I plan on disappearing again. How can I be a loving husband and father when I hate myself so much?


After getting through airport security, we sit in the lounge to wait for our flight to board. It takes AJ and I a long time to convince Jessi we want her to take the first class seat. She finally capitulates when another well-placed kick has her crying out in pain.

Once AJ and I are in our seats, AJ says, “Man, I’m starting to get worried about Jessi.”

I nod, staring at the curtain separating us from the first class area. “Me too.”

Half an hour later, we’re airborne. I still haven’t stopped watching that curtain, hoping for a glimpse of Jessi when the stewardesses pass back and forth between cabins. AJ elbows me. “I asked the stewardess to keep tabs on her.”

I glance at him. “I heard. Thanks Man.” Turning my gaze back to the curtain, I mutter, “She’s so tiny.”

I expect him to try to blow off my concern but he doesn’t. “Hanna Jo said the same thing. Apparently the doctor she had in…”

When he stops talking, I look at him. “What? Where was she?”

He sighs. “I’m not supposed to tell Nick. Dammit, me and my big mouth.”

I roll my eyes. “Just tell me already. Not like I won’t find out from her once we get to your place.”

AJ shrugs. “She may not. She was adamant she didn’t want any of us to find her hiding place.” When I just wait for him to continue, he mutters, “She went back to Australia and bought a house there.”

To say I am stunned is an understatement. “Why there? I mean, after all that happened I didn’t think she’d ever step foot down under again.”

AJ shrugs. “She told Hanna Jo she hated it there, but it was one of the two places she knew we’d never look.” When I don’t say anything, he whispers, “There and Hawaii.”

I could cry. “Why did this have to happen to Jessi? Her whole life has been nothing but heartache. I wanted to take that away.”

AJ asks a passing stewardess for two pillows before saying, “Nick I think you did. I mean, yeah it’s been rough, but look where we are. Heading home with Jessi. She came to get you because she loves you. You brought something into her life that Donnie Wahlberg couldn’t take away. You brought her love and happiness.” After a lengthy pause, he states, “Don’t you dare think of running away again Nick. You guys can get help…go to counseling. Help Ho Jo and I run the B&B with Todd and Haley Jo. You have a family. You have a home. You have a LIFE waiting for you with a woman that loves you.”

I turn my gaze to him. “But after what I did…”

He grabs one of the pillows from the stewardess, giving her a grateful smile. When she walks away, he says, “What you did was save our lives. Jessi understands now. She couldn’t accept you gave her to Donnie because of money. That’s why she disappeared. Now that she knows the truth she realizes you loved her enough to protect her family. You loved her enough to make her fight. Now you have to love her enough to be what she needs.”

My shoulder sag. “What does she need me to be?”

He elbows me. “The asshole she fell in love with in Europe. The man that didn’t care about her past. You don’t care about her past…do you Nick?”

I shake my head. “Of course not! She didn’t have a choice.”

AJ reaches over and pats my face like a father praising his child. “Neither did you. Now get some sleep. We have eight more hours on this beast.”


The captain’s voice drags me back to consciousness about 3 seconds before AJ grabs my arm. “Ladies and Gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We regret to say we will be making an emergency landing in Seattle due to a medical emergency on board. We ask that you take your seats and prepare. We will be landing in less than 15 minutes. Cabin crew, please execute emergency landing procedures.”

I look at AJ and he’s pale as a ghost. “It’s Jessi. They think she might be in labor.”

Before I can wrap my mind around his words, the stewardess walks up. “Two passengers from first class have agreed to trade seats with you so you can be with her. Please come forward.”

As we pass the couple in the aisle, I murmur, “Thank you so much.”

When I get to the front, Jessi is crying and holding her stomach. I drop down on the floor beside her. “Jessi, what’s wrong?”

She sobs, “It’s too early…it hurts…Nick she has to be ok, she has too!”

I take her hand and whisper, “Shh, calm down Jessi. Just breathe. I’ll take care of you, you just gotta breathe.”

They let me stay there until the plane starts to descend. The stewardess murmurs, “Mr. Carter, I need you to take your seat for landing. It will only be a few moments.”

I nod, watching Jessi. She squeezes my hand and whispers, “I’m ok.” I can’t stop myself from kissing her forehead. When I pull back she whispers, “I’m so glad you’re here.”



Chapter End Notes:
Let me know! :)