- Text Size +
Inside everyone is the capacity for strength and weakness. Sometimes, it is visibly noticeable, like the physical nature of strength or weakness. Sometimes it is bubbling just under the surface, like strength or weakness of heart, mind, or character. The same trait may be a strength or weakness between many. Even more so, detailed aspects of those traits may be a strength and weakness within one entity, such as varying knowledge from study versus life experiences. There are even times that individual strength or weakness is unknown. A strength may be a weakness to others, or the inverse. Often, strength is sought out in others to uplift a weakness in the self. Perhaps recognizing this need is the greatest strength.

The sapphire demons were always quick to commend each other's strengths and build each other up with them. Unfaltering kindness, determination, diplomacy, belief, bravery, compassion, or loyalty. And while they supported each other through their weaknesses, did they give each other the strength to grow from them? Too trusting, brash, hesitant, lighthearted, reserved, timid, or dependent. When they were always together, did they notice their weaknesses? Were they able to grow and overcome or did their weakness compound?

Later that morning, the sapphire and ruby demons met in the fork of the corridors before they converged into the cave’s enormous main room. Brian led the group down the main path in the fork, his staff held high despite the cavern being brightly lit. AJ and Kevin followed closely behind him as AJ adjusted the sleeves of his tunic and Kevin alternated between eyeing Brian and AJ in front of him and Nick and Minako behind him. As usual, Nick and Minako trailed behind; Nick slumped his shoulders and crossed his arms while Minako rubbed her hand on his arm and gave it gentle squeezes.

“Good morning, Minako!” Madeline waved as she caught up to them.

Jacob and Ashley followed behind Madeline closely as Jacob ran his hand along the rocks and Ashley crossed his arms.

Minako smiled. “Good morning, Madeline. Did you sleep well?”

She grabbed her hand as she settled into pace beside Minako and Nick. “So well! It was so nice to have a bed again! Did you have your own room or did you all share? Were there enough beds?”

Minako eyed the sapphire demons carefully. AJ and Kevin slowed their pace. Brian glanced back briefly, but continued walking forward at the same pace. Nick tensed, but said nothing.

Minako smiled. “We were actually in three rooms. Brian’s grandpa insisted that Howie have his own room while we’re here.” She glanced at Nick, AJ, and Kevin again. “Maybe he slept better that way.”

Nick stifled a laugh and whispered a hush at Minako. Brian’s quiet chuckle could be heard from the front of the group as Kevin cocked an eyebrow, but nodded knowingly.

AJ laughed. “I slept better if he didn’t.”

Minako glanced at each of them again before smiling broadly. “And then Brian shared a room with AJ and Kevin instead, so it was a little different than usual.”

Madeline smirked. “Just you and Nicky? How was that?”

Minako glanced away from her toward Nick and lowered her voice. “Cozy and calm...”

“Sounds… fun?”

Brian chuckled again. “I leave and it becomes calm… because I’m the agitated one among the three of us.”

Nick tightened the cross of his arms as his nostril flared. “I’m not agitated!”

“He assumed I was talking about him so quickly!” Brian turned back to them and winked.

Minako glanced back toward Madeline, then hurriedly back to the floor as she caught her stare.

Madeline grinned and tightened her grip on Minako’s hand. “Minako, let’s do something this morning, just you and me! Unless… You all look like you’re headed somewhere… Where are you going this morning?”

“We’re meeting Howie for training. What are you doing this morning?”

“No plans… We were just going to check if we could see Erik. His Majesty is starting training? Are you ready, Ashley and Jacob?”

Kevin leaned over to Madeline. “Erik is stable enough that he can have visitors this morning, but he will likely not be awake yet.”

Madeline smiled. “Minako will you come with me while they’re training? They don’t need you, right?”

“Brian, is--”

Brian pointed down a corridor. “This way for a bit longer, then we’ll be there.”

Nick gripped Minako’s hand. “Minako…”

She glanced at him quickly, then held her hand against his arm again. “Nick...”

“Minako?” Madeline asked again.

Ashley glanced at Madeline and edged closer to her as he spoke derisively. “She’s trying to tell you that we’re not invited.”

Madeline frowned. “She didn’t say that. Also it sounds boring anyway, I don’t want to go.”

“You can’t go. We’re not invited.”

Nick snorted and pulled Minako closer to Brian as he stopped in front of a small crevice in the wall, about the same size as the one at the entrance to the barrier demons’ cave.

Brian patted the wall. “Here we are, the training arena. No knocks necessary.”

AJ grinned. “I’m excited to see it! A whole arena just for training!”

Brian walked through, followed by Kevin, then AJ.

Nick squeezed Minako’s hand and pulled her toward the crevice. “Minako… Let’s go…”

Madeline grabbed Minako’s hand again. “You’re training to get stronger, but we can’t come too?”

Ashley crossed his arms and smirked. “So much for this alliance.”

Nick glared at Ashley, snorted again, and turned back to Minako. “I’ll meet you inside.” He gave her hand a squeeze as he pressed a kiss to her forehead, then walked through the crevice as well.

Minako turned back to Madeline with a concerned frown, but said nothing.

Madeline released Minako’s hand. “Nicky still doesn’t trust Ashley… That does make it hard to be allied. Why can’t you talk to him? I’m sure he would believe you if you told him it was fine.”

“I do talk to him, we decide everything together…”

Ashley sneered. “Like who to be friends with? How to spend your day?”

“Ashley!”

Minako’s shoulders tensed as she clenched her hands loosely and lowered her head. After she took a breath, her hands relaxed and she smiled as she looked back up at Madeline. “For now, we want to begin on our own so we know how to combine our powers with yours in the best way once we’re already a stronger team. We’ve all been together longer, so we’re more familiar with each other’s needs and it should go pretty quickly.”

“Nicky still doesn’t understand his powers…” Ashley snorted. “Is there a best way even with them?”

Minako shook her head. “I don’t know… But we’re going to try. And when we’re strong enough, we’ll work together so we all live and get to decide our futures. I promise.”

Madeline reached her hand out and touched Minako’s shoulder. “Minako… If you could just talk to Nicky…”

Minako glanced at the ground. “Sure… I’ll talk to Nick again and tell him that it’s… fine… Just please be patient...” She waved as she turned and walked down the crevice's hallway. “Have a good day. I hope Erik is doing well.”

“Madeline… You plead with her like she gives a damn about us…”

“Ashley--” Jacob started.

Madeline clenched her fists. “I’m sure she does! And at least I’m helping! What are you doing to help?!”

Ashley shook his head as he peered down the hall. Minako had disappeared from sight.

~*~



Nick crossed his arms as he stood beside the crevice that emerged into the large, round arena. It was entirely encased by rocks on all sides and domed at the ceiling. Along the walls, several rows of torches lit the arena in a bright glow, chasing the shadows from the center. He glanced at the sapphire demons sitting in front of him; Howie, Brian, and Kevin sat on their knees while AJ sat cross-legged. The sound of footsteps echoed across the crevice until Minako slowly entered the arena, gripped the wall with each step until Nick reached his hand toward her.

“They stopped you again?”

Minako lowered her head as she took his hand. “Madeline’s worried…"

He snorted, but still gripped her hand gently. “About Ashley.”

“About everyone. Me too, but I believe in you all, so I know it will be okay.” She put her other hand on his shoulder and smiled at him gently.

“Okay… We’re here, what now, Howie?” Nick rested his hand on Minako’s hip as he sat.

Once Minako sat in his lap, she raised her knees to her chest as he ran his hand along her hair and pressed a kiss to her temple.

“Brian, are you able to create a barrier around this arena?”

“Of course.” He placed his staff on his lap and pulled a sutra from his tunic as he began an inaudible chant.

Howie touched his shoulder, causing Brian to pause. “Without the sutras.”

“But we--”

“Brian… Actually, we have more to ask of you once we are all in here safely.”

Brian nodded determinedly and closed his eyes as he raised his interlocked hands, leaning his outstretched pointer fingers against the bridge of his nose. He took a deep breath and separated his hands slightly; a bright blue web of light began expanding from within his palms. It encircled the demons and spread to the ceiling and walls of the arena, rippling over the crevice they entered through.

AJ stood and poked the barrier at the crevice. “Seems strong.”

Howie patted Brian’s shoulder again. “Brian, are you able to create multiple barriers at once? Are you able to attack and defend simultaneously?”

Brian nodded and pulled out his sutra again.

“Without the sutra.”

“But words are--”

Howie lowered his head as he removed his hand. “We understand that they are important aspects of your clan’s culture, however… In the last battle with the emerald demons, you used a sutra to protect us while you fought. Yet when it tore, it distracted you enough that you were killed. In this next battle, we cannot let that happen.”

Brian clenched the sutra as his eyes clouded. “I don’t know that I can…”

Howie stood, then glanced behind him toward the shadows. “Elder Virgil, is this within the capabilities of members of your clan?”

“Your Majesty, only the strongest members of the Shields can switch between attacking and defending. It is difficult to maintain one strong barrier for an extended length of time, let alone two. That is why we have several members of our clan holding our protective barrier at once and switch them frequently.” After emerging from the shadows, Virgil lowered his head as he stood beside Howie.

“Grandfather! Is it safe for you to be here?” The barrier rippled slightly as Brian clenched his staff tightly and stood quickly.

“We asked him to join this sparring session because we believe his devotion to protect your life is great enough to keep this secret for us. We also hoped to keep this arena protected without burdening and distracting you if necessary.” Howie pursed his lips. “Though we see… We have made a difficult request to a clan that teaches defense.”

Virgil bowed. “Our clan honors your request, Your Majesty. If there is a member of the Shields who is capable of mastering this request, it is Brian. Cardinal demons are said to have powers beyond those of ordinary demons, and if nothing else, an extraordinary capacity to use their powers.”

Howie nodded and clapped his hand on Virgil’s shoulder. “We appreciate your insight. Are you able to assist Brian in holding the barrier and help guide him through this task?”

Virgil sat on the ground and placed his staff in his lap, then patted the ground beside him. Once Brian sat, he laced his fingers together, placing his straight pointer fingers against the bridge of his nose. A silvery web seemed to spring from him and rise toward Brian’s barrier.

"Grandfather!"

"I will help you get stronger. That is my duty as your elder and your kin." He smiled as he reached his palm toward Brian.

Brian nodded in determination and pressed his palm against Virgil’s, causing the barriers to thread together, intertwining the sapphire and silvery strands.

Howie began pacing and stopped in front of Kevin. "Kevin, are you able to use your power to heal and attack simultaneously?"

"I believe so."

"More than your own body? And are you able to increase your power so you are able to heal many times in succession without incapacitating yourself?"

"I will do my best to get stronger." Kevin stood and clapped his hand against Howie’s shoulder.

Howie smiled and clapped Kevin’s shoulder as well, then began pacing again. "Then on to AJ. Before we know how to increase your powers, we must increase your strategy. You are too distracted by the world around you, but you seem to have some control over your powers. If your strategy improves, it will keep you from being killed."

AJ hunched his shoulders, lowering his head toward his chest.

Minako pushed out of Nick’s lap until she was standing, then walked toward AJ and hugged his shoulders.

AJ smiled at her as he wrapped her in a quick hug. "I will also do my best."

Howie paced again. "Nick…"

Nick stood, lowering his head as he shuffled over to Minako and AJ. "I know… Do anything…" he mumbled.

Minako gave AJ another quick squeeze, then wrapped her arms around Nick's shoulders while leaning her head on his. Nick pulled against his chest and held her tightly.

Howie placed his hand on Nick's shoulder as he smiled. "Nick, we believe in you." Howie glanced at the others as well. "We believe in all of you. We hope that was not unclear." He turned back to Virgil. "Elder Virgil, as you are familiar with the celestial clan and we are not, are you able to assist Nick as well should he ask?"

Virgil nodded.

“Thank you... Grandfather,” Nick mumbled, but glanced at Virgil with a small smile.

"And Minako…"

Nick tightened his grip on her waist.

"We agree that your energy has grown increasingly demonic over our time together. The reason is unclear, but if that gives you a shred of our powers, we hope that you can use them in this upcoming battle."

“But, Howie, what will you do to keep yourself safe?”

“Minako, we will also be working on our strategy so that we are not distracted in battle.” Howie began pacing again. "Who shall battle first?"

"Howie, why are we practicing by attacking each other? Aren't you worried about everyone getting hurt?" Minako frowned.

"It is a common military training technique, simulated battle. And since we are practicing in private, it would be disruptive to ask more of our hosts."

"But…" She clenched Nick’s hand tightly.

He cupped her shoulder gently. "We understand. You wish that we remain well and unharmed. Would you feel more at ease with some safety parameters?”

She nodded.

"Only the participants may interact in the battle, unless any of us are specifically called by them. Minako, you are unable to run into the battle for us, regardless of the injuries. This will keep you safe."

She lowered her head, but glanced at Nick as he ran his thumb along her hand.

"However, if any of you wish to stop the battle, call out to Minako. Do these parameters seem safe?"

“Yes.”

"Then, AJ and Nick, you will be first."

AJ and Nick glanced at each other, nodding determinedly. AJ then patted Minako’s shoulder.

“Stay safe.” She pulled him into a quick hug.

He returned her embrace with a bright smile. “I will, I promise.” He released his arms and strode to the center of the arena.

Minako wrapped her arms around Nick's neck tightly. “Nick…”

He pressed a kiss to her forehead as he held her. “I will always stay with you. It’s going to be fine.” He smiled at her broadly. “I promise.” He gave her a quick kiss, then strode after AJ into the center.

Minako clasped her hands at her heart as she stared after them.

Kevin patted her shoulder. “They’ll take care of each other even though they are practicing a fight. Just relax while you watch.” He sat again, then patted the ground beside him.

Minako sat as well and Howie stood behind them with his arms crossed, scrutinizing the preparation in the center of the arena.

AJ stretched his limbs and shook out his wings.

Nick rolled his shoulders and shook out his hands, then clenched and unclenched his fists. Okay… Brian’s grandfather said I needed to center myself… To create calm... With things that can be measured by time… a clock, shadows stretching, a heartbeat, breathing… He peered at AJ across the arena. I wonder what shapeshifting demons use to center themselves? They’re constantly changing their own body, so do they have something that doesn’t change? Something that helps them be confident in themselves? Whenever AJ transforms, he always touches one of his earrings… And he still had those earrings when he mimicked Minako and me… I wonder if they’re his way to center? He blinked his eyes and squinted to focus on AJ again, but he was gone.

A shadow loomed over him and claws raked across his cheek. As Nick jumped back, AJ’s face filled his vision.

AJ landed in front of him. “You’re distracted, Nick.”

Nick stared at AJ, gritting his teeth as he touched his bloody cheek before quickly flapping his wings and bouncing off his foot to take flight. “Why do you guys always attack me when I’m not paying attention?! Can’t we all agree when the battle starts?”

AJ also flapped his wings and bounced on his foot to take flight. “You think the emerald general will agree to a start time?”

“Well, no!” Nick soared to the ceiling of the arena.

AJ shot after him. “Then why would we prepare that way?!”

The two flipped and tumbled over and around each other for a few minutes before Nick settled on a large rock jutting from the wall, squatting and peering at AJ.

AJ dove low and scooped something from the ground.

Nick shook his head. Okay, center… He took a deep breath and exhaled. Inhale… exhale… inhale… exhale… His claws began pulsing and a few small tendrils of light sparked from them. As Nick reached for a tendril, a small pebble hit him in the face, then the tendrils flickered and disappeared. He gaped, then quickly snarled as he began scanning the arena. Why did that disappear? How is AJ beating me with pebbles? He clutched his bleeding cheek, then another small pebble hit his hand. Good aim… Where are you AJ?

AJ flapped his wings to tread air about halfway across the arena from Nick. He had turned one hand into a small slingshot, connecting two fingers by a string. He placed the tiny pebbles in the center, took aim at Nick, pulled back, and released.

Nick dodged the next few pebbles and took a few more breaths. Focus... His claws began pulsing again with the small tendrils of light, but they sparked and disappeared before he could grab one. He growled quietly. Why?

“Nick, if you need to take a break and refocus, we can!” AJ’s voice echoed across the arena. “It’s better if you can figure it out now!”

Nick growled and pulsed his hand again. Focus… The tendrils sparked and vanished as quickly as they appeared. Why? What should I do?

“Nick, do you want to stop?!”

Nick clenched his fists and growled as he leapt from the ledge. Once again, he and AJ flipped and tumbled over each other in midair as AJ shot the small pebbles at Nick while he dodged.

“Nick!?”