- Text Size +
Unlike the previous day, the empty and cavernous rocky training area had only one inhabitant. AJ stood in the center, holding his hand to his chest. Joseph…

~*~



Joseph! You’ve always been my companion! AJ grabbed Joseph by the hem of his tunic and pulled him closer. “Don’t battle me, it doesn’t matter who wins! Camaraderie means more than countries! Being in this castle taught me that we really do need to work together to be stronger!” We should be fighting to protect that!

Joseph slapped his hand away. “Of course I value your companionship, but in this castle our companions need to be the foretold alliances because only one of them can get the box! Camaraderie across countries makes you weak!” He grabbed AJ by the neck of his tunic and pulled him up toward his face, then raked his claws through his chest and abdomen again.

But, we’re--

~*~



After wincing, AJ gritted his teeth and clenched his eyes shut. The memory of the wound and the betrayal stung his heart. Would Joseph still feel the same way if I found him now? Especially when we’ve made Justin our enemy... I keep hoping that only Justin has planned this, but... Am I being weak when I still think of Joseph as a friend? He exhaled forcefully, then stared at the ceiling. Maybe this is why Nick’s confused too. Ashley is clearly untrustworthy, but it’s hard to erase history and feelings from our memories. If I still consider Joseph a friend, does that make my friendships with everyone else worth less?

I don’t think the castle counts as betrayal. There were hard lines we all accepted in that fight.
He exhaled again as his shoulders slumped. At least Brian doesn’t think I’m betraying them, but... I hope everyone else feels the same way… That they think I’m still… loyal...

He ran his thumb against his earring. I can’t focus on that now. I have to figure out how to defend against those balls of light Nick was flicking at me. The demons we haven’t met could have any powers, so I need to be ready for anything. He stretched, then gripped both his earrings. Dodging only did so much. I have to observe, learn, and adapt.

He leapt from the ground as he began flapping his wings, then pulled his hoop from his ear until it formed a large mirror. The fire dancing on the torches reflected in its sheen as he wiggled the golden frame of the mirror forward and backward. I could keep him busy reflecting the light back at him, but defending isn’t enough. I’d have to attack him, which would be hard if both hands were holding the mirror.

He flapped across the arena slowly, continuing to reflect light off the mirror. As long as the mirror is a distraction, I could try to get closer to him… But he might realize I’m doing that. I could use it as a shield as I got closer, but Nick would definitely see that coming and start to aim away from the mirror.

“AJ?” A deep voice called out across the arena.

After a quick glance toward the entrance, AJ slowly descended to the ground as though he floated. When he landed, he pressed the edges of the mirror together with his palms. Once it shrank, he hooked it back through his ear and crossed his arms. His serious expression became a smile as he eyed the demon in front of him. “Kevin.”

“Training alone?” Kevin smiled.

“Just thinking about my fight against Nick.” AJ stretched out his arm and held his shoulder as he rotated the joint. “I’m trying to figure out how to get close enough to him that I could attack.”

“Reflecting the light back is a good strategy for defense.” Kevin crossed his arms and chuckled. “But I wonder how close he’d let you get doing that?”

“Hopefully it’s close enough that I can attack! I hate being in defensive mode for too long.” A small smirk crossed his lips. “I’d rather end things and get back to normal.”

“I’m sure if you asked Nick for help testing your plan, he would come right away.”

“I know, but he asked for a break!” He grinned. “It would be more fun to surprise him next time.”

A broad grin covered Kevin’s face as well. “Alright, AJ, let’s see your plan.”

AJ stepped back, then turned and leapt into the air.

After giving him a head start, Kevin leapt into flight. Though he continued to smile, his darting gaze reflected the plan forming in his head. They chased each other in the air for a moment, then Kevin landed on the rock outcropping at the far edge of the arena. He squatted as he peered at AJ. “This may look familiar to you.”

“You don’t look worried enough.” AJ continued to flap his wings as he paused in the center of the arena, staring at Kevin, the corners of his lips upticking.

“Should I be?” A bright sapphire light surrounded Kevin’s hand.

“Definitely!” AJ pulled on his earring until it elongated into the shimmering golden mirror.

With a loose clench of his fingers, the airy blue glow became a sphere. Its sapphire light shimmered and swirled in Kevin’s hand as he squeezed it. After catching AJ’s glance, he tossed the orb toward him.

The airy and bright orb seemed like a power that would reflect off the glassy mirror, but when AJ aimed the mirror to deflect, it struck with a loud splat. AJ gaped at it. What?

Kevin threw a second sphere; it clung the reflective surface with a splatter.

“Kevin?”

“Healing powers aren’t meant to be thrown, clearly.” He laughed.

“Maybe I need Nick to practice against him after all.” AJ stared at the gelatinous forms on the mirror and frowned. I didn’t expect Kevin to be able to throw his healing power...

A faint chime rang in the air, chased by a burst of sapphire light. When it struck the mirror, it knocked AJ off balance before ricocheting off of it and exploding against the ceiling. AJ’s eyes flashed open as he gaped at the foggy air above him. A second faint chime twinkled and AJ ducked behind the mirror. After hitting the mirror, the second burst of light bounced back toward the entrance.

Brian swung his staff and a sapphire barrier sprung up around him. It rippled, then absorbed the blast as though it beckoned the power back. A wide grin spread on Brian’s face. “Effective.”

“Brian!” AJ peeked around the mirror as he breathed heavily, the hairs standing up on the back of his neck.

“Nick would be really surprised by that.” When Brian tapped his staff on the ground, the barrier vanished.

AJ and Kevin descended to the ground and landed next to Brian.

When AJ shrank the mirror back to its regular size, the healing magic splatters disintegrated, then he placed the golden hoop back into his ear. “Thanks, Kevin. I wonder if there’s a way to use healing power if you toss it.”

Kevin crossed his arms, shrugging as he pressed his lips into a thin line.

“You came at the right time, but why are you here, Brian?” AJ cocked an eyebrow as he fiddled with his earring.

“I asked everyone to come.” Brian sat and rested his staff across his legs.

“Is that why you came, Kevin?”

“When Erik regained consciousness, I decided that it was best to give the ruby demons and Madeline some time before they came here. I thought that maybe I would come sooner and try some training of my own.” He laughed as he sat beside Brian. “Trying to attack your mirror wasn’t quite what I had in mind.”

“Was that why you asked everyone to come here?” AJ glanced at Brian as he sat, then leaned on his crossed legs.

“No, Jacob and I had a conversation earlier, but I just found out when I saw Kevin first. Good timing though, right?” He patted AJ’s shoulder and laughed. “I’m glad you were still here. I wasn’t sure where to look if you weren’t.”

Wonder what his conversation with Jacob was about. AJ shrugged. “I tried to run a few laps first.” His sheepish grin became a loud laugh. “Tried. Then I practiced some aerial dives.”

“You’re really dedicated.” Brian smiled, then glanced at the door anxiously, but quickly relaxed.

Howie strode in, then sat on his knees beside them. “All of you are quite punctual. Brian, why did you ask everyone to gather?”

“Now that at least you three are here… I’ve been thinking about our plans. Jacob and I had a conversation earlier, but...” He gripped his staff and frowned. “...it was mostly after our conversation ended abruptly yesterday…”

Howie fiddled with the pommel of his sword. “We apologize for requesting solitude. We were prepared for Nick’s outburst in regards to Minako, but not his concern for our person or our choices.” He swallowed. “We had always intended to speak on our powers, however, the timing was never quite right in our previous journey and within the castle. As you must have assumed, they are a liability in the midst of battle. Forethought creates usefulness.”

AJ frowned, feeling a tightness in his throat. After swallowing and pushing it away, he forced a smile on his face as he clapped Howie’s shoulder. “Howie, it’s who you are. You shouldn’t have to feel guilty because you have a power that could be dangerous.” AJ shrugged. “Unless you were using it thoughtlessly.”

“On the contrary.” He glanced at AJ, then fixed his gaze back on his sword. “It is never a power to use thoughtlessly. In addition, we became increasingly careful after learning the cost for the scale. Perhaps it is a power we will never use again.”

Kevin frowned. “All powers are useful. Together, we can figure out what to do with them in the future. But most importantly, they’re part of who you are. And while we think you are more important, we’ll trust any cost you decide is worth paying.”

As he kept his hand cupped against Howie’s shoulder, AJ nodded while keeping the same smile on his face. Brian mimicked AJ’s expressions.

Howie chuckled. “We spoke similarly with Nick in regards to his powers. It seems that is a truth that permeates all of us. Demonic powers are integral to our existences, but should not be of the utmost importance. We will consult you all before using them on the next occasion they could prove useful.”

After glancing at Brian, Kevin frowned. “What about our plans? You spoke with Jacob?”

“Are we putting off the inevitable?” Brian gripped his staff tightly again.

Kevin pressed his lips into a thin line.

Silence settled in the space between them until the echo of footsteps filled it. When the four demons glanced toward the door, they caught sight of the ruby demons and Madeline entering the arena.

Brian motioned to the ground beside them. “We’re just waiting for Nick and Minako.”

Ashley snorted as he sat.

As she sat next to Kevin, Madeline glanced at him with a hard stare and a scrunched nose. “Ashley…”

“At least one of you sees that this alliance has been meaningless so far.” He sneered.

Jacob frowned. “We found Erik because of their help and they are willing--.”

“Let Erik be grateful for that.” Ashley bared his glinting fangs.

Brian gripped his staff and furrowed his brow as he stared at the entrance to the arena.

This might be our only chance to talk without Nick here… What did Brian and Jacob say to each other? “We can fill them in later?”

“Maybe you’re right.” Brian sighed as he shook his head, but smiled when he caught AJ’s gaze.

Laughter echoed down the corridor, drawing the attention of the four sapphire demons. Nick beamed as he pulled Minako through the entrance before nuzzling against her neck and whispering. Though she covered her face with her hand, a giggle seemed to be her response. After catching AJ’s stare, a small smile formed on Nick’s face, but slowly became a grimace as he scanned everyone present. He hurriedly bit his lip, as though he attempted to hide his expression.

“You’re not late.” Brian smiled.

Nick glanced between Brian’s smile and Ashley’s sneer, then lowered his head. Minako brushed his cheek with her hand, then whispered something in his ear that caused him to smile again. They sat on the ground beside Howie; Nick held Minako in his lap gently.

As silence settled over the group again, AJ swallowed. The feeling with them here is different. We’re barely an alliance...

Madeline gripped her jeans and stared at her hands then clenched her eyes shut as she shouted. “Erik finally woke up this morning!”

“Madeline, that’s great!” Minako smiled. “Kevin, you’re a hero.”

“It’s so great! Really, thank you, Kevin!”

Kevin patted Madeline’s shoulder. “I’m happy that he’s recovering.”

Nick glanced at Brian, then turned to Kevin. “Can he travel?"

"Nicky…” Madeline frowned. “Are you in a hurry to go?"

Nick bit his lip as he laced his fingers through Minako's, then glanced at Brian again.

Brian gripped his staff and furrowed his brow as he caught Nick’s gaze.

Of course Nick would get Brian to tell him everything and then decide he can be late because he already knows. AJ laughed. “What secret aren’t you two telling us?”

“No secret…” Nick stared at the ground and fiddled with Minako’s hair.

Minako glanced at Brian, but quickly averted her gaze as Brian held his forehead.

Weird...

Kevin cleared his throat. “He’s conscious, Nick, but it will still be some time before he’s able to endure long traveling.” Kevin crossed his arms. “Or Brian’s plans.”

Madeline frowned as she cocked her head. “What’s going on?”

Ashley growled. “They’re clearly planning on using us as infantry and avoiding saying it directly.”

“Or they are familiar enough with each other’s mannerisms to fill in the gaps in their conversations.” Jacob held his forehead in his hand. “Ashley, it’s an alliance, not empire-building.”

“Why are you so calm about it?” Ashley growled again.

Howie fiddled with the pommel of his sword. "Is Topazuseihou still our immediate plan or do we feel prepared to travel to Emeradotouhou?” He glanced at Brian as well. “Or perhaps… another solution?"

Brian furrowed his brow. “We should split up.”

“I know you said it, but Brian… We’re stronger together...” Minako ran her hand along Nick’s fingers.

“Minako, you want to find Renee in Emeradotouhou.”

“Of course I do…” Her shoulders slumped as she stared at the ground. “We should have gone a while ago…”

“Madline would say the same thing about finding her sister in Topazuseihou. We can’t keep putting off one thing for another.”

Minako nodded her head, but kept her gaze fixed on the ground, as though she refused to look at him.

“AJ, I know you want to find Joseph if you can.”

“I do.” AJ hung his head. I’m happy you remember, Brian, but… what would they say? Are they just being quiet to let you talk?

“It’s clear that not all of the demons and priestesses sought each other out. We would have found all of the Ruby demons in Rubiihoppou if they did.”

“So you think the rest may be in Topazuseihou or Emeradotouhou?” Kevin pressed his lips into a thin line.

“Maybe here in Safaiananpou too. But I would feel confident in guessing that Justin went back to Emeradotouhou eventually.”

Howie folded his hands in his lap. “We have yet to discuss the feasibility of two separate reconnaissance missions.”

Brian gripped his staff. “Emeradotouhou seems like it would be more dangerous, but it’s equally dangerous to keep avoiding it. I’m sure Topazuseihou isn’t easy either though.”

A grimace flashed across Jacob’s face, but he quickly contorted it into a frown. “Do we have enough allies? I know we discussed it and I haven’t met the emerald demons, but… Madeline said they were ruthless.”

We can’t keep grouping them together. Joseph isn’t ruthless. He’s… AJ clenched his fist and growled. “Justin is ruthless. If we keep giving him time, he’ll only get stronger too.”

“How do we split our travel parties?” Howie scanned their faces as though calculating potential battle tactics in his mind.

“I’m going to Emeradotouhou!” Nick pulled Minako against his chest tightly.

“Nick…” She clutched his arms as she stared at his face over her shoulder.

“I will definitely defeat Justin when we see each other!” He smiled down at her. “And I will definitely bring Renee back with us.”

“That means I’m headed to Emeradotouhou as well.” Kevin chuckled.

Nick flinched, then fixed his stare on Kevin’s face. “I’ll really be--”

“Brian’s right, Emeradotouhou seems riskier than Topazuseihou. I’ll be more helpful in the riskier place.”

“Kevin--”

“The plausibility of you getting injured only strengthens the choice.” He smirked.

Nick glanced away from him, but a hint of a smile quirked at the corners of his mouth.

Howie held a splayed hand to his chest. “We possess the necessary navigation tools to lead the reconnaissance party through Topazuseihou. AJ? Brian?”

“I’ll go to Emeradotouhou.” Brian gripped his staff.

AJ held his hand to his chest, inhaling deeply. When I think about where you might be, Joseph… I just can’t picture you with Justin… And you weren’t in Rubihoppou or here... “I think… It feels like Topazuseihou is the right choice. I’ll go with you, Howie.”

“We look forward to accompanying you in your search for your sister.” Howie smiled warmly at Madeline. “Unless you prefer Emeradotouhou.”

“Thank you, Howie. I appreciate your help! Should the rest of us stay together?”

“Either party should be an acceptable choice.”

“I’ll go to Emeradotouhou too.” Minako ran her hand along Nick’s arm. “I’ve been thinking that Lance could help me convince Renee to come back with us. He seemed to like her better than Justin, so maybe they don’t get along.”

Ashley snorted. “Attempting to ally with two of your enemies?”

Howie’s smile fell slightly and he spoke with a commanding tone. “If their alliance is to justice and not Justin, then their intell should prove invaluable. Do you have a preference?”

Though Ashley pursed his lips and furrowed his brow, his narrowed eyes seethed.

“You’re more useful in Emeradotouhou.” Nick glared at him over Minako’s shoulder.

“Nicky…” A quiet smirk crossed his face. “You’ve either decided to forgive me, or…” His smirk grew. “...Is it that you want to keep an eye on me?”

Nick’s nostrils flared, but he said nothing.

“Predictable. I will still go to Emeradotouhou as you have declared.”

“Madeline, do you have a preference?” Jacob gripped her hand lightly.

“No… Pick whatever you want, Jacob.”

“Is it necessary to commit now?” Jacob glanced at the entrance, then back at Madeline and Howie.

Howie scanned the group. “Not necessarily, however, planned reconnaissance parties would allow appropriate training.”

“I will decide shortly.”

“Enough talk.” Ashley stood and crossed his arms. “You have your plan. Nicky, let’s test their training for you and see if it’s been enough to defeat your insurmountable enemy.”

Nick’s arms tensed around Minako as he glanced at the ground.

“Wait!” AJ leapt to his feet. “Nick owes me the end of our last fight!”

Nick cocked his head, his mouth slightly agape as he quickly turned to face AJ.

“I told you I didn’t like dodging while planning, but I’ll take time to plan later.” AJ grinned. “No more meetings with Brian though.”

Nick unwrapped his arms from around Minako, then pressed his hand against her back and they stood. “Okay.” He grinned broadly. “Pretty sure you’ll end it first again.”

“I’ll definitely win if you’re already that cocky.” AJ clapped Nick’s shoulder as he laughed. I’ll definitely distract you!

A bright smile filled Nick’s face as he laced his fingers through Minako’s and leaned toward her. “I’ve got this. You and me.” While wrapping his arms around her waist, he pressed a firm kiss to her lips. “Wish me luck.”

“Good luck, Nick!” She brushed his hair back and kissed him again.

“Wish me luck, too!” AJ laughed again.

As Nick embraced Minako tightly, she glanced at AJ over his shoulder. “Good luck, AJ!”

Nick flinched and tightened his arms around her.

“Now that I’ve riled Nick up again, let’s start from where we left off.” AJ grinned, then began walking to the middle of the arena, picking up pebbles along the way.

Nick followed after him, then leapt into the air. When he landed on the rock outcropping, he squatted, then peered down at AJ, scrutinizing his motions. “Okay, go!”

After leaping into the air, AJ began slinging the small pebbles at Nick’s face.

Unlike last time, Nick hid his face behind his elbow, dodging the small pebbles as he held his cupped hand to his chest. Once the small orbs filled his hand, he pulled it away, then flicked one toward AJ.

He doesn’t suspect anything! AJ smirked, then descended toward the ground, dodging the stinging light. As he pulled his hoop from his ear, he clenched his other hand into a fist, removing the sinewy string from between his fingers and dropping the remaining pebbles to the ground. He began rising toward Nick again, clutching the earring in his hand tightly.

Nick flicked another orb toward AJ.

The mirror grew in AJ’s hands and he aimed it to catch the orb. When it hit, it reflected off the mirror, exploding into beams of light that shot across the room. An explosion? AJ's gape quickly became a grin.

Though Nick shielded his eyes, the beams of light were more than just bright. One struck Nick’s arm and he yanked it backward, dropping several of the small orbs to the ground. After gritting his teeth, as though biting back the pain, he began flicking the remaining orbs toward AJ in rapid succession.

Keeping the volley alive, AJ caught each one in the mirror’s reflective surface, exploding them into hundreds of beams that shrouded AJ in hazy brightness. Got you. AJ smirked as he slowly moved across the arena toward Nick.

Only Nick’s growl echoed in the silent and bright room.

AJ’s smirk became a gleeful grin as he shrank his earring back down, then returned it to his ear. Kevin and Brian stopping by was exactly what I needed to plan a win! A bright blue glow surrounded AJ’s arm as it transformed into a saber. When he reached the rock outcropping, he landed with a loud thud.

A second growl pierced the bright haze and AJ thrust his arm toward Nick. The sharp point of AJ’s saber stopped inches from Nick’s abdomen.

“Your move, Nick.”

Backed against the wall, Nick continued to growl, then shut his eyes and grimaced.

“Do I win this one?” Barely containing his glee, AJ’s grin continued to grow.

Nick’s eyes flashed open and he snapped his fingers. Nothing happened. Next, he splayed his fingers, but still nothing happened. Finally, Nick lowered his head. “Yeah.” When he raised it, a bright smile covered his face as he clapped his hand on AJ’s shoulder. “A mirror? Impressive! I didn’t think they would explode or sting!”

“I didn’t either. Brian’s barriers just reflected.” AJ laughed as he pulled his arm back, then gripped his earring, reverting it back to normal. “Kevin tried to stand in for you and his healing magic just stuck to it.”

“What?” Nick laughed loudly.

“Splat.”

Hunching as he wrapped his arms around his abdomen, Nick continued laughing as he lowered his chin to his chest.

Though the light surrounding the room diminished, the two demons’s laughter continued to fill it.

AJ cupped Nick’s shoulder. “This is a friendly fight, but Ashley might not treat yours as friendly.”

“He never does.” Nick straightened as he ran his finger under his eye.

“Don’t let him use it against you.”

“Never.” Nick grinned, then pointed at AJ. “And you won’t get so lucky next time either.”

“I don’t need luck.” AJ’s smile grew. “Next time, I’ll beat you before I need the mirror.”

Chapter End Notes:
AJ's flashback is from PBox's Chapter Forty-Six: Chaos. I decided to give AJ the POV first in this one (outside of Nick and Minako) because he joined the group so late last time, but he's also always had his own things going on. When I was originally writing this chapter, I'd started it when Nick and Minako walked in, but got stuck. It wasn't until after I added the AJ things at the beginning that the chapter began to flow properly. So, here's a little shout out to AJ. Fun random fact: I also almost named the chapter "Splat" because I thought that Kevin's healing magic making a splat sound was hilarious. See you next week! As always, around to chat!