- Text Size +
Athena Charlemagne gathered several papers up from her desk and filed them away in her top desk drawer. She picked up her burgundy leather briefcase and stepped through the door of her office. She fished a single key out of her pocket and locked the door behind her.
“Good night, Bianca. ” She smiled at her secretary on the way past the receptionist’s station.
“Have a good evening, Ms. Charlemagne.” The pretty brunette replied as she looked up from the phone.
“I will.” Athena answered. “You too.” She glided through the double glass doors and pressed the ‘down’ button for the elevator. As she waited, she looked, critically, at her own reflection in the window at the end of the elevator lobby. She was a tall woman, nearly five foot ten, with a slender build. He hair was shoulder length, naturally curly, dark blond with a hint of auburn in the proper lighting. Today, just like any other work day, it was twisted up in a tight french roll held securely with a gold clip. Sparkling hazel eyes looked out from behind a pair of thin, gold, wire frame glasses. There was a hint of neutral eye shadow on her lids and her lips were expertly lined and lipsticked - red, of course. She wore a conservative navy business suit that consisted of a knee-length pencil skirt and matching blazer. Underneath, she wore a pristine white, ribbed turtleneck. Nude stockings and navy blue high heels completed the ensemble. A plain, yellow gold, rope chain was around her neck and her ears were adorned with small diamond studs. The only other piece of jewelry she wore was a delicate gold and mother-of-pearl wristwatch, which she checked again with a sigh while she pressed the button again impatiently.
A moment later, the doors parted and Athena stepped on to the empty elevator. Three floors below, the elevator stopped and she got off. She could hear loud shouts and singing as she walked down the corridor to the bright orange door at the end. She turned the handle and entered the room. What she heard next was her most favourite sound in the world.
“Mummy!” A dark haired four-year-old shouted as he ran across the room and into Athena’s waiting embrace.
“Hi Dax. Did you have a good day today?” Athena grinned as she set her little boy down and greeted the day care workers. Daxon quickly gathered his jacket and small backpack from his cubby and brought them to Athena, dropping them at her feet. She knelt in front of him and helped him on with his jacket, kissing his nose as she zipped it up. Daxon giggled and wiped his nose with his hand. “If you wipe my kisses, I’ll just kiss you again.” Athena warned with a grin, then she kissed his nose again. Daxon promptly wiped it off with a mischievous smirk. “Now you’ve done it!” Athena said with a gleam in her eye. She put both arms around Daxon, yanked him off his feet and covered his face with kisses until he laughed so hard that he was gasping for air. After he caught his breath, Athena set him back on his feet and stood up. “Let’s go honey. Our ride is waiting for us downstairs.” Athena picked up Daxon’s backpack and opened the door for him. Hand in hand, they walked to the elevator and rode down to the parking lot. It was a cold March evening in the Boston suburb of ----. The spring wind blew through the city leaving a chill in everything it touched. Athena and Daxon were no exception. As soon as they stepped outside the office tower, they hurried to the silver grey SUV that was parked in front. Athena opened the rear door, helped Daxon climb in to his booster seat and buckled him in. She then shut the door and opened the passenger door. “Hi.” She smiled, as she settled into her own seat and closed the door.
“Running late?” The man in the driver’s seat asked.
Athena nodded her head. “Yes, I’m sorry.”
The man shifted the vehicle into drive and shoulder checked. “Don’t worry about it. Do you want to pick up some chinese on the way home?”
Athena broke into a grin. “I think you read my mind, Kade.” She turned to Daxon in the back. “What do you think tiger? Would you like chinese food for dinner?”
Daxon nodded as he yawned. “Yep, and shwimps.”
“Shrimp it is.” Kade replied as he maneuvered the vehicle through the rush hour traffic.
An hour later, they pulled up in front of a modest townhouse complex. Kade carried a sleeping Daxon up the front steps and waited for Athena to unlock the door. Athena led him down the hall to Daxon’s bedroom, picking stray toys off the floor as she went. Kade set Daxon down on the bed after Athena pulled the covers back. Together they took off Daxon’s shoes and jacket and covered him up. Athena kissed her son on the forehead before she and Kade left the room.
“I guess I get to eat his shrimp.” Kade whispered as they entered the kitchen. Athena giggled and pushed him out of her way. “You’ll do no such thing, Kade Williams. Do you remember the last time you did that? He was mad at you for a week! Now go find something on TV and I’ll bring out something to drink in a minute.” Kade muttered something under his breath and retreated to the living room. Athena busied herself making a pitcher of iced tea and hummed a tune.
The telephone made its presence be known and Athena picked it up after the first ring.
“Hello?”
“Hello Athena, how are you?”
“I’m fine Marcus. How are you?”
“I’m doing good, Athena. I have something to tell you.” Athena stopped stirring the iced tea and leaned against the counter. Whenever Marcus said something like that, it meant it was important.
“What is it Marc? Are you alright?”
Athena heard laughter on the other end of the line. “Athena, you always assume the worst, don’t you?”
“Force of habit.” Athena shrugged, even though he couldn’t see her. “So tell me your news.”
“I’m moving. I got a new job as curator of an art museum.”
“Oh Marcus, that’s fantastic! It’s what you’ve always wanted! Congratulations. When do you start? Where is it?”
Again Athena heard laughter. “Slow down, Dear. I start on the fifth of April and the museum is in Italy.” There was silence on Athena’s end of the line. “Athena?” Marcus asked. “Are you still there?”
“Italy?” She repeated quietly. “As in, not of this continent?”
“Yes.” Marcus replied.
“April the fifth! That’s less than three weeks away!” Athena exclaimed.
“I know. It doesn’t leave me much time to get my affairs in order before I leave but I’m sure I’ll get everything done in time.” More silence. “Athena? Are you mad at me?”
“No, Marcus. I’m just going to miss you.” She said, her voice growing quiet.
“I know. I’m going to miss you too.”
“And Dax - he’s going to miss you. Please say you’ll come by the house before you leave. You have to say good bye to Daxon. How about dinner next Tuesday night?”
“That sounds great Athena. I’ll bring the wine.”
“Okay, Marc. We’ll see you then.”
“Yes, goodnight Athena.”
“Bye.” Athena hung up the phone and stared at it. She heard the floor creak as Kade entered the kitchen. “Who was that?” He inquired.
“It was Marcus. He’s moving to Italy in three weeks.”
“Wow.” Was Kade’s only response. Athena moved past him into the living room, sat down on the couch and picked up a cardboard take out box. “I’m starving. Did you eat all the kung pao chicken?”
Kade grinned and flopped onto the couch beside her. “You and Marcus are the most unusual divorced couple I have ever met.” He stated.
“Why’s that?” Athena asked as she tried to pick up a noodle with her chopsticks. “Because we don’t hate each other?”
“Well not exactly.” Kade replied. “It’s because you still love each other.”
Athena gave up with the chopsticks and picked up a plastic fork. “Uh huh…and?”
Kade frowned. “Don’t you think that’s unusual?”
Athena pondered for a moment, then shook her head. “No. Marcus is a great guy, he did a lot for me and he loves Daxon. Just because we couldn’t stay married to each other, doesn’t mean we can’t be friends, does it?”
Kade shook his head. “No, I guess not. It’s just unusual.”
“Unusual, yes. But it works.” She said, popping a piece of pineapple into her mouth. “Do you want to watch a movie?”
“Sure.”

~*~