- Text Size +
She stood there unsure as to what had just happened. He was home, her husband was home. The thought was unfamilair and strange. She wasn't expecting him for another three months, Christams, but he was there. It was wonderful to have him home, but she knew why he was there, knew what had happened the day before. She received the dreadful news from Jonathan Hawthron when he called her the night before, just a few hours after Nick had came home.

Now, she was sitting at the bar wondering what she should do, how she should help. She knew that Nick didn't love her. It was obvious, she never received calls, no letters, nothing. He'd call once a month to talk to their son, but other than that, the two never had any contact. She knew that he cared a small inch for her, that was apparent when they last argued. She had accused him of cheating on her and he swore up and down, by God and by everything else that he had never been unfaithful. And neither had she, though it was temtping for the two of them, their morals about marriage were far to great to do something so degrading.

She loved him with all her heart and soul. Though he hadn't touched, kissed, or made love to her in over a year and a half, she still loved him. The two had been through so much together that she couldn't let it all dwindle away like he seemed to have done. She was left with just memories of the love they shared in the first few years of their marriage and their courtship.

Jumping at the sound of someone moving on the stairs she put her hand over her chest to steady her breath. Glancing at the entry to the kitchen she was taken back when she saw her husband walk through. He had aged somewhat. Yesterday, she didn't have time to take in his appearence, but now she had time to, and was able to note all the changes in his stature. He looked tired and worn out, his hair was growing darker, apparently he decided to no longer get it highlighted, his eyes weren't as bright and full of excitment and wonder as they used to be, his chin was a little scruffy, and he had put on a few pounds. She sighed inwardly, he had changed so much, and she hadn't been there to see it. He looked his age, 25, still young looking but now more mature, even through the run down image before her.

He caught her eye as he walked into the kitchen and from the scrutinizing looks, he knew that she was taking his dishelved appearence in. While she did, he did the same. She hadn't changed at all. She'd grown her hair out, now it was approximately six inches below her shoulders instead of being above them, she'd lost weight and she looked good. Her green eyes were still full of excitment. He sighed, just as she did, but for the opposite reasons. He couldn't fathom what had happened to their marriage. But here they were now, together, in the same room, and neither knew what to say, how to act, what to do, or how to approach the conversatin that was bound to happen soon.

"Are you hungry?" She asked, taking him totally offguard. He didn't think she would have addressed him, especially after he'd walked away from her yesterday without so much as a hello. He nodded to her. "What would you like?" She hopped up from the stool and walked over to where he was standing, in the middle of the kitchen. She still didn't reach his shoulders and that almost made him smile, almost.

"I have no idea, just point me to the food." And she did just that, showed him where everything was stored, the glasses, the plates, the silverware, and all the food. She watched as he picked out what he wanted and watched as he ate it.

"Nick, I think we need to talk." She heard him sigh, and deaded the conversation all ready.

"Alyssa, as much as I know we need to have this conversation, I don't want to."

"Well, I'm sorry, but its going to hapeen sooner or later, so why later, why not get it over with."

He sighed, she had a point, and it was entirely useless to argue with her. The woman was as stubborn as a mule sometimes and she rarely didn't get her way. "Fine, let's talk." He pulled up a bar stool, placed his hands under his chin and was ready for her to fire away.

"Nick, I know what happened, why you're home."

"I figured you would have, that's why I didn't even bother to tell you. It seems like everyone knows stuff before I even get a chance to open my mouth about it."

"I truly am sorry for what happened, I know that you love singing and peforming." She knew all to well, that's why they had drifted apart, she just could never voice it aloud. She knew he loved what he did and never kept him from it, his perfomring came first and then his family, never the other way around, and she totally supported that.

"Why are you sorry, you had nothing to do with it. I was sure it would happen sooner or later, especially after the way the second album flopped." He shrugged his shoulders in defeat, his eyes casting over with an unknown look she couldn't place.

"So what are you going to do now?"

"No idea, I honestly have no idea. I don't know anything else but performing."

"You have Tyler and I." She whispered.

"Alyssa don't start. Please don't start."

"Well what do you want me to do Nick, walk around like everything is peachy keen. Sorry, I'm not you, I can't do that. For gods sake we are married!"

"I know that! What the hell do you think I am!" He shouted, making her skin crawl.

"Keep your voice down, you'll wake up our son." He looked at her, a staring look that pierced right through her. "Listen Nick, what I'm saying is, I don't know what to make of this marraige anymore. We've had no contact in two years, nothing. You act as if I barely exist."

"What the hell do you want me to do Alyssa, what do you want me to do!"

"Act like a husband and a father. You talk to our son once a month, do you know how much that child adores you. He idolizes you. When you're on TV or the radio he listens and watches you intently. You don't know him. I'm not worried as much about our realtionship as I am with you and Tyer."

"Well I'm sorry for not being there, but I was out there working my ass off to give you all this. What do you expect from me."

"Dammit Nick, you have enough money to last you a lifetime and you know that. I want you to be a father. That's what I want." She sighed, knowing tha tears were all ready on there way. It was way to early to be crying. She had thought they were dried up from the years of crying her eyes out over this man. "Do you have any idea how selfish you are Nick. All you care about is yourself and your work. You have a family, a family! I can't continue to raise Tyler on my own. He needs a father, a male influence!"

Without even responding, he got up and left. He knew what she was saying was the truth, but good lord he had been home for not even forty-eight hours and he was all ready getting yelled at. Everything was just screwed up and he was falling, falling into a black hole.