- Text Size +
She rushed outside into the cool night air. She was on a mission. They had to talk, and for the life of her they were going to. It might not be the best time, but it had to happen. This was too important. She walked up behind him and just stood there for a minute, transfixed with both him and the beautiful view in front of her.

He knew she was there, watching him. But for what, he had no idea. He wasn't in the mood to talk, especially to her. He sighed and turned his head around and caught her gaze. She diverted her eyes for a second before connecting them back with his. She inched forward and took a seat next to him.

"Hey." She whispered looking down at the sand.

"Hey." There was a brief pause. "What are you doing here?" He questioned.

"I came to talk to you." She looked at him, her eyes hopeful.

"Alyssa, please I don't want to argue, its too late."

"I don't want to argue either Nick. I just think we need to talk. Just to talk. No screaming, no bantering, no accusations, just a normal conversation."

He thought for a moment, it would be nice to just talk instead of yelling at each other like they always did. He had a few questions for her too. "All right, let's talk." He looked over and cracked a small smile. It made her smile.

"So, what have you been up to?" She almost laughed at her ridiculous question. It wasn't exactly what she wanted to ask.

He laughed inside. Leave it up to her to open a conversation with a question such as this. "Well, let's see, I used to be an entertainer, now I'm not and that shit bites. Now I'm at home living here like a damn prisoner." It was sarcastic he knew, but what did he care.

She gave him a weird look. "Okay. Nick, that wasn't what I wanted to ask you."

"Go figure."

She sighed, he was in one of his sarcastic moods. Lord how she hated those. She was never witty enough to respond to his comments. "When do you want to see Tyler. I can't keep him hidden away from you, and neither can you keep hidden away from him."

Nick smiled, he could just imagine the look on his sons' face when he realized his dad was home. "I don't know, maybe tomorrow. Should I stage it like I just came in over night?"

"Whatever you want to do. I just want you two to spend time together."

"I've missed out on a lot haven't I?"

She look at him in complete shock. Maybe he realized it too, just how much he'd missed over the past three years. He'd missed a lot of firsts, Tyler's first words, his first steps, his first day of pre-school. "Yeah, you have." She whispered, trying to make it sound as gentle as possible.

He sighed. "So how has he been?"

One of her favorite subjects to talk about, their son. The thought of the boy brought smiles to her face all the time. "He's been good, missing you. But he has grown. He looks exactly like you did when you were little."

"Really?"

"Really, there's no me in him anywhere yet. If I wouldn't have pushed him out, I would question if he was my kid or not. He doesn't look a bit like me."

"I'm sure that'll change."

"I hope not." He whipped his head around, stunned at her response. He just looked at her before he dropped his gaze to the ocean.

They fell into a comfortable silence, the first one in a long time. Both were thinking about Tyler and how they had gotten to this moment.

"So what exactly happened Nick?"

"Huh?"

"What happened to us." A plain and literal question.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, what happened, we used to have this story book love and now its like we're complete strangers."

"Oh." He didn't know how to respond, he wasn't one to sit down and ponder questions such as this one. It was a rough topic, one that required a lot of soul searching for the answer. One wrong answer, and the shit would hit the fan. Hi sighed. "Alyssa, I have no idea. I guess with all the time we spend apart, we just slowly drifted apart." She nodded. She couldn't speak, tears were welling up deep inside, and if she spoke the strong face she was trying to hold would break. "I'm sorry. I never ever thought that it would come to this. I did love you."

"I know." She whispered, all ready crying. Thank the good lord she didn't have make-up on, or her face would have been a mess. They just flowed freely, her trying her hardest to keep them calm, but all attempts failing.

Nick sat there beside her, knowing she was crying, crying because of him. He hated to see people cry, especially her. He could comfort her, but then that would confuse her all the more. He didn't know what to do.

He sighed, scooted closer to her and wrapped a comforting arm around her shoulders. Mechanically she leaned in closer, dropped her head on his shoulder and just let it all come pouring out. The years of loneliness, heartache, depression, a marriage without love. She cried for him, herself, and Tyler. So many emotions rocked her body, sending her into gasping sobs. All the while Nick just sat there, his arm around her, gently rubbing her arm, trying his best to calm her down.